IOS Version 6.4.4 shows first line of "secure" note

Options
GregKet1
GregKet1
Community Member

A recent change in 1Password App is that it now shows the first line of a secure note in your list of notes. This is less than secure. Can we please not. It doesn't show it in Windows App and that is a good thing.

1Password Version: 6.4.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.3.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GregKet1

Thank you for writing to us with your concerns. I'm not sure why you think this isn't secure, could you please elaborate on what you're thinking? You're only able to see the list to begin with if you've unlocked 1Password. If you, or anyone is in a position where they can see the title of a secure note then they are one tap away from the full note, and being able to see the first line will only make it easier for you to find the one that you want.

I'd like to hear your thoughts about all this :chuffed:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I don't think it's a big deal because to be in 1Password to begin with one needs to have been authenticated & authorized. However, I think a logical comparison can be made with logins.

The login item doesn't show the password in the listing of items, one reason presumably being because it'd be considered insecure if anyone peaks over someone's shoulder. Likewise, secure contents in a secure note should also not be shown in the listing of items.

It could be argued that the only information that should be shown in the listing of items should be what is considered public domain to begin with, such as usernames (which is how it currently works, and has been discussed by 1Password in blog posts about how it's considered information that's meant to be public or non-secure).

But overall I view this more as a consistency thing than an actual vulnerability or anything of that nature.

Just my two cents. :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@GregKet1, @DustinDauncey: I agree that, because 1Password will need to be unlocked to even get to any Secure Notes, this doesn't qualify as a security issue; and personally I like being able to see a "preview" or "hint" as to the contents before viewing, as I can with notes in other apps...but fortunately you don't need to agree with me, and we can all get what we want: since only the first line is displayed, simply add a blank line at the beginning and you won't see a thing! Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.