Lag, dropped frames on main lock screen w/ Google Keyboard on Note 7

bluestrike2
bluestrike2
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Android

I ran into an odd situation with the Android app on the main lock screen when I first got my Note 7. When typing out your master password, there's a noticeable lag and dropped frames with each keypress. Entering it with GPU profile enabled, the problem is particularly noticeable (especially when shifting cases or switching keyboard layers, such as for numbers/symbols). The profile indicates mostly command issues topping the bar out. I wanted to provide a screenshot or GIF (entering a fake password, of course), but I can't do so for the 1Password lock screen.

Issue is present when using the latest version of Google Keyboard (5.1.23.127065177-arm64-v8a). There's some slight lag with the Samsung keyboard as well, but it's barely noticeable. And I haven't run into the issue using the keyboard elsewhere, or even in other views for 1Password. Just the lock screen.

I realize that part of this is likely out of your hands for the most part, and that the Note 7 (well, Samsung devices in general) are pretty notorious for frame rate and performance issues despite the hardware they use, but I figured I'd file a bug report just the same. Now I just need to take care of swapping the Note out due to the recall. This bug's pretty tame compared to explosive batteries :).

1Password Version: 6.4 for Android
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 6.0.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bluestrike2: Don't walk, RUN to swap out your Note 7! I appreciate you taking the time to leave this feedback, but you should really put your safety first. :scream:

I'm kind of kidding, but just barely. Getting back to your report, I was actually playing with my friend's Note 7 recently (pre-recall) and noticed the display issue pretty much everywhere, so it didn't seem to be at all limited to 1Password. I'd read that in reviews, but I was surprised by this. Reviewers typically exaggerate these things (which is good from consumer perspective), but it was noticeable immediately.

My wishful thinking, for you and my friend, is that maybe the devices are overheating and throttling, and that perhaps the replacement (when it comes) will be a bit better. But we'll continue to monitor things and see if there's anything we can do to make it work more smoothly — for all Android users. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

• bluestrike2
    bluestrike2
    Community Member

Yeah. No joke there. I was actually waiting on the replacement S7E that T-Mobile was mailing to me that should be here in the next couple hours. It boggles the mind that there are people foolish enough to want to just keep their Note 7 and hope for the best. What a screwed up situation.

In general, I noticed the same thing you did. There are a bunch of situations where the Note 7 (and past Samsung devices I've used in the past) starts dropping frames even on seemingly simple renders. At this point, I'm thinking it's just something of a Samsung tradition. Killer hardware, but seemingly little time spent optimizing for that hardware. But I only noticed the keyboard issues on 1Password, even though the presence of other problems would seem to suggest that it's a much larger issue in general.

Anyhow, your wish would certainly be preferable. I just don't hold out a lot of hope for it. Thanks for responding! :)

• Thanks for getting back to us, @bluestrike2. I've always had good luck with Samsung devices in the past, and you're right about the hardware. Please keep us updated on this issue when you get your new device. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.