Wifi sync is not syncing all my items

alvei33
alvei33
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Mac

I have my original vault in a mac pro, which I sync with my macbook through the usb method described in the guides. Until now, I had wifi synced my vault between my mac pro and my iphone, no problem at all. However, i have recently added new items through my macbook (yes I added them to the vault synced with the mac pro) and these items are not syncing with my iphone. What is bugging me is that I changed the syncing method to dropbox, and when proceeded to sync my iphone, a message appeared stating that the information in the vault contained in the iphone was different from the one contained in dropbox (obviously). In the information displayed, it said that the vault stored at my iphone was last updated a few days ago, when i had added the new items today. It seems like the wifi sync was only working on items created before a certain date, and from then on, it treated them as being in another vault. I want to restate the fact that I have made sure that all items are stored in the same vault and this is the vault selected to wifi sync. My suspicion is that the items created on my macbook are treated differently and thus, not synced through wifi. I cannot yet try to create new items in my mac pro as I do not have access to it currently, so I cannot test my theory.

Thank you in advance.

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Wifi

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alvei33,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble syncing between your Macs and iPhone! I'm sure we'll be able to help get things working again.

I might be a bit confused about your current sync setup and/or how you'd like to sync your 1Password data, so it will help if you can clarify a few things:

I have my original vault in a mac pro, which I sync with my macbook through the usb method described in the guides. Until now, I had wifi synced my vault between my mac pro and my iphone, no problem at all.

Ok, so you're using the Folder sync option (with a USB drive) to sync your vault between your Mac Pro and your MacBook. And you're also using the WLAN Server option to sync between your Mac Pro and your iPhone. (If I misunderstood, please let me know.)

i have recently added new items through my macbook (yes I added them to the vault synced with the mac pro) and these items are not syncing with my iphone.

Your MacBook and iPhone do not sync directly with each other, so any changes you make on your MacBook must first be synced to your Mac Pro (via Folder sync / USB). Once those changes are in 1Password on your Mac Pro, they should sync to 1Password on your iPhone via WLAN / Wi-Fi. So the question is: Do those new items show up in 1Password on your Mac Pro?

What is bugging me is that I changed the syncing method to dropbox...

I'm not sure I understand - have you switched to sync via Dropbox in 1Password on all 3 devices? Are both Macs syncing correctly with each other via Dropbox now? Using Dropbox to sync your 1Password data would likely be much easier than the Folder sync / USB / WLAN Server combination you've been using, but I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to do. It will help if you can elaborate on which sync method you'd prefer to use, and which sync method each device is currently set up to use.

...and when proceeded to sync my iphone...

Do you mean when you tried to sync via WLAN from your Mac Pro to your iPhone? Or when you tried switching to sync via Dropbox on your iPhone? Or something else?

...a message appeared stating that the information in the vault contained in the iphone was different from the one contained in dropbox (obviously). In the information displayed, it said that the vault stored at my iphone was last updated a few days ago, when i had added the new items today.

This seems to fit with what you said about the new items not syncing from your MacBook to your iPhone.

It seems like the wifi sync was only working on items created before a certain date, and from then on, it treated them as being in another vault.

Do you mean you're seeing 2 different vaults on one of your devices? Or are you just reiterating that the new items you created on your MacBook haven't synced to your iPhone?

Is 1Password on your iPhone now syncing with Dropbox instead of WLAN/Wi-Fi? If so, did the new items sync to your iPhone?

I want to restate the fact that I have made sure that all items are stored in the same vault and this is the vault selected to wifi sync.

Which device are you referring to here? It was my understanding that you aren't using WLAN Server / Wi-Fi sync on your MacBook, so I'm a bit confused.

My suspicion is that the items created on my macbook are treated differently and thus, not synced through wifi. I cannot yet try to create new items in my mac pro as I do not have access to it currently, so I cannot test my theory.

The WLAN Server sync option is mean to work between a single Mac and one or more iOS devices. It will not work to sync between two Macs, and if your iPhone is already set up to sync with your Mac Pro via WLAN, no sync is taking place between your MacBook and iPhone. Maybe that helps to clear up some confusion?

I'm sorry for all the questions & confusion here! Once we know a few more details about your current setup and what you're trying to do, we should be able to get this all straightened out. Thanks in advance! :)

• alvei33
    alvei33
    Community Member

Hello Drew,
    I´m sorry for my bad explanation, I perfectly understand it to be confusing. I´ll try to answer your doubts in a clear way:

Ok, so you're using the Folder sync option (with a USB drive) to sync your vault between your Mac Pro and your MacBook. And you're also using the WLAN Server option to sync between your Mac Pro and your iPhone. (If I misunderstood, please let me know.)

Yes, this is correct.

Your MacBook and iPhone do not sync directly with each other, so any changes you make on your MacBook must first be synced to your Mac Pro (via Folder sync / USB). Once those changes are in 1Password on your Mac Pro, they should sync to 1Password on your iPhone via WLAN / Wi-Fi. So the question is: Do those new items show up in 1Password on your Mac Pro?

I think this is the key, I did not know that I had to first sync my MacBook to my Mac Pro. Regarding your question, I´m unable to answer as I do not have access to my Mac Pro yet. However, all items have appeared in all of my devices that I have access to, so my guess is that my Mac Pro will be no different.

I think practically all other questions are answered by the fact that I did not know I had to first sync my MacBook to my Mac Pro, or if left unanswered, are irrelevant, except for:

It will help if you can elaborate on which sync method you'd prefer to use, and which sync method each device is currently set up to use.

I am currently syncing via dropbox, but I would prefer to keep my passwords out of internet connection. I now understand that I had to first sync my MacBook to my Mac Pro in order to then sync my iPhone. However, would it be possible to change the order? To put it simply in the syncing chain you have explained, swap my MacBook with my Mac Pro. I mean, could I sync my MacBook with my iPhone without having to go through my Mac Pro, and thus if a new item is added to my Mac Pro, having to first sync Mac Pro and MacBook in order to sync to my iPhone. This is because I tend to carry my MacBook everywhere, whereas I do not do so with my Mac Pro.

I think I have cleared everything out, if not, I am more than welcome to make more clarifications.

Thank you for your help.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you very much for the clarification, @alvei33! I understand what you mean now. I'm also glad my reply helped to confirm why the new items weren't syncing to your iPhone. It can be a little confusing with a sync setup like yours, as there are more steps involved to make sure everything syncs to all devices.

I am currently syncing via dropbox, but I would prefer to keep my passwords out of internet connection.

No problem at all! You're not alone, as many others feel the same way (which is a big part of why we include the Folder sync and WLAN Server options). Just in case it makes any difference, I wanted to let you know that we're very confident about storing 1Password data in the cloud, as your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your master password. We explain more about that here: How 1Password protects your data when you use a sync service

Using one of the cloud sync options would make syncing your 1Password data much easier for you, but you can certainly continue using the combination of Folder sync and WLAN Server if you want. :)

...could I sync my MacBook with my iPhone without having to go through my Mac Pro, and thus if a new item is added to my Mac Pro, having to first sync Mac Pro and MacBook in order to sync to my iPhone.

Yes, absolutely! To start syncing your iPhone with your MacBook via WLAN Server, you will first need to disable the current sync settings on your iPhone. Just open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > Sync > Primary > Sync Service > Disable Sync (confirm you want to disable it).

Then you can set up the WLAN Server option between your MacBook and iPhone by following the steps here: How to use the WLAN server

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you have more questions about that. Cheers! :)

• alvei33
    alvei33
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

Hello again, Drew.
    After following your indications, the same problem occurs... New items added in my MacBook do not sync to my iPhone. After carrying out your instructions and failing, I have tried disconnecting both my MacBook and my iPhone from the wifi and connecting them again, but the problem persists.

Thank you in advance!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alvei33,

Did you run into any problems when setting up WLAN Server between your Mac and iPhone? After enabling WLAN Server in 1Password on your MacBook, did you open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > Sync > Primary > Sync with WLAN server, then tap the name of your MacBook and enter the secret code?

If the setup worked properly, then changes you make in 1Password should sync between that MacBook and iPhone. However, you need to make sure you open and unlock 1Password on both your MacBook as well as your iPhone - otherwise they won't be able to connect to each other in order to sync. If you open & unlock both now, does the sync work at all?

If it seems to be set up correctly and 1Password is open/unlocked on both devices, but changes aren't syncing, you might be able to solve that with one of the troubleshooting tips here: If you're having trouble using the WLAN server

Please let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• alvei33
    alvei33
    Community Member

Hello Drew,
    I have followed the tips contained in the link you posted, however, the problem is still occurring. There is something worth mentioning, though, I am now able to access my Mac Pro, so I have tried adding a new item in my Mac Pro and then syncing to my iPhone. Surprise. It works perfectly! This makes the problem even curiouser, if I add items in my Mac Pro, syncing works perfectly. However, when I change the setup in order to sync my MacBook to my iPhone, new items will not sync. It seems that my MacBook is the problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I am now able to access my Mac Pro, so I have tried adding a new item in my Mac Pro and then syncing to my iPhone. Surprise. It works perfectly! This makes the problem even curiouser, if I add items in my Mac Pro, syncing works perfectly. However, when I change the setup in order to sync my MacBook to my iPhone, new items will not sync. It seems that my MacBook is the problem.

@alvei33: :scream:

The problem is that 1Password is confused because you're syncing a single mobile device with two separate WLAN Servers on your two Macs. WLAN Server is designed to sync between a single server and one or more mobile devices. That's why there is only a single "slot" to enter a secret to "pair" in the mobile app. Can you tell me which Mac you'd prefer to sync with? It will take some doing, but we'll unravel this and get all of your data back together one way or another!

• alvei33
    alvei33
    Community Member

Hello brenty,
    I would like to sync my iPhone with my MacBook. I thought that by simply changing the WLAN Server configuration, you could sync with an unlimited number of devices.

Thank you for your answer, and I´ll gladly follow future instruction on how to solve my problem!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@alvei33: Likewise, thanks for understanding. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this causes. My primary concern is that switching between sync servers will result in conflicts (since each server only has half the sync history), and can also result in data loss. That's not something any of us wants to experience. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions!

• alvei33
    alvei33
    Community Member

Hello brenty,
    I think I did not explain myself. Yes, I do want that configuration, however, I am not able to achieve it! New items added to my MacBook do not sync to my iPhone. I will stop changing WLAN Servers, but I still want to select my preferred configuration.

Thank you again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alvei33,

It sounds like 1Password on your iPhone is still configured to sync with 1Password on your your Mac Pro via WLAN Server. As I mentioned in my reply last week, you will first need to disable the WLAN sync settings in 1Password on your iPhone. Once you do that, 1Password on your iPhone will no longer sync with your Mac Pro via WLAN, and you will be able to go through the setup to sync it with your MacBook instead.

Just to make sure you disable the current configuration, can you please follow these steps:

1. On your iPhone, open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary.
    2. Tap Sync Service and then tap Disable Sync (confirm you want to disable it).
    3. At this point, the sync settings for the Primary vault on your iPhone should say "Start Syncing".
    4. On your Mac Pro, open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences > WLAN Server.
    5. UN-check the WLAN Server option (this will help avoid confusion).

At this point, your 1Password will no longer sync between you iPhone and Mac Pro via WLAN Server, because it should be disabled on both. As long as you have disabled it, you should now be able to set up WLAN Server between your MacBook and your iPhone by following the steps here: How to use the WLAN server

As long as you follow those steps on your MacBook and iPhone, they should be able to sync with each other. Please let us know how it all goes! :)

• alvei33
    alvei33
    Community Member

Hello Drew,
    Once again, I have thoroughly followed your instructions, but the end result is the same. The configuration is working, 1password shows that the last time the iPhone and Macbook synced was a moment ago. Nevertheless, items do not match between both devices. I know it might seem as if I am not following the instructions correctly, but I can assure you I have checked each and every single step. Plus, it is not something so complicated that I could be understanding a step incorrectly.

I´ll wait for further help. Thank you again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alvei33,

Hmm, it's strange that your MacBook and iPhone are syncing with each other via WLAN but the items do not match. But thank you for confirming that they are now configured to sync with each other - it's a step in the right direction! ;)

Do you currently have all your latest 1Password data on your MacBook? (Or at the very least, on your Mac Pro?) If so, you can try resetting 1Password on your iPhone and then set it up again to sync with your MacBook. But if you have data in 1Password on your iPhone that hasn't synced to either of your Macs, stop here and let us know.

Assuming you have all your latest 1Password data on your Macs, you can follow these steps:

• On your iPhone, open 1Password and go to Settings.
    • Scroll down and tap Advanced, then scroll down and tap Erase All 1Password Data.
    • Confirm that you want to erase all 1Password data from that device.
    • After it resets, open 1Password on your iPhone again and choose Use without an account.
    • Tap the option to sync via WLAN/Wi-Fi (you'll also need to open/unlock 1Password on your MacBook).
    • Complete the steps to set up the sync.

At this point, you should have all the same data on your iPhone as on your MacBook. Let us know how it goes! :)

• alvei33
    alvei33
    Community Member

Hello Drew,
    Thank you for your answer. I have followed your instructions and I simply cannot believe it still does not work. The items I added in my MacBook do not sync. I´m sure all items are in the same vault, but it seems to me that somehow 1password understands them to be in a different place, as all other items were synced perfectly.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alvei33,

I have followed your instructions and I simply cannot believe it still does not work. The items I added in my MacBook do not sync.

I'm not sure if I understand - do you mean that after resetting the 1Password data on your iPhone, then setting it up again by syncing with your MacBook via WLAN, some of the items on your MacBook are missing from your iPhone? Resetting 1Password on your iPhone removes all local 1Password data from that device, so when you set it up again and complete the first sync, it should have all the same data as your MacBook.

Or do you mean that all the items sync to your iPhone when you first set it up, but then if you add new items on your MacBook, they don't sync to your iPhone? In that case, do you have 1Password open and unlocked on both your MacBook and iPhone? If not, WLAN sync will not work. When you have 1Password open & unlocked on both, does the sync work?

• alvei33
    alvei33
    Community Member

Hello Drew,
    I´ll try to explain myself:

1) Before removing all 1password data on my iPhone:
    iPhone - 15 items
    MacBook - 16 items
    If I sync them, the 16th item does not sync.

2) After deleting all 1password data on my iPhone:
    iPhone - 0 items
    Macbook - 16 items

3) After configuring WLAN server again:
    iPhone - 15 items
    MacBook - 16 items
    The end result is exactly the same as before deleting the data.

4) After adding another new item to my MacBook and syncing:
    iPhone - 15 items
    MacBook - 17 items

Certain items are simply not syncing to my iPhone

The opposite is also true. If instead of adding an item in my MacBook, I do so in my iPhone, it will not sync to my MacBook.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alvei33,

I was wondering if you could clarify something:

2) After deleting all 1password data on my iPhone:
    iPhone - 0 items
    Macbook - 16 items

Where are you seeing "0 items" on your iPhone? If you reset the 1Password data on your iPhone by going to Settings > Advanced > Erase All 1Password Data, it should then take you through the initial setup. Before going through that setup, there's no vault in the iPhone app yet, so there's nothing that would indicate you have 0 items. I'm not sure if that's related to the problem, and I may have misunderstood what you meant, but I wanted to double-check.

Instead of resetting the app from within the 1Password settings, you can delete the 1Password app from your iPhone and then reinstall it from the App Store. Then open it and choose Use without an account > Sync with WLAN server > [your MacBook's name] > Secret / Not set, and enter the secret shown on your MacBook.

I'm sorry this is turning out to be a bit more work than I expected, but we'll definitely solve this! :)

• alvei33
    alvei33
    Community Member

Hello Drew,
    I´m sorry, I understand the confusion. No, I cannot see "0 items" in my iPhone, it was just a way of saying that I had successfully deleted all data. What appears indeed is the menu where I can choose "use without an account".

I have tried deleting the 1Password app and reinstalling, but the problem persists. I think the best option would be to delete the app on my MacBook, but I do not know if this has some disadvantage.

Thank you again!

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alvei33,

Before you delete anything else, I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices so that we may take a look at your syncing logs and see if we can figure out what is going on:

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Best,
    Eva

• alvei33
    alvei33
    Community Member

Hello Eva,
    Thank you for you help, I have done as requested and received this ID number: [#YFY-68477-852].

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@alvei33: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: YFY-68477-852

This discussion has been closed.