What password keeping program you recommend?

I paid 80 usd for 1 password 4 and now I have to pay 3 usd more every month to have a cloud storage? So what are my bonuses for owning license? I can pay to any company for storage if my license is crap now.

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

No, that's not true. You can use Dropbox (or iCloud if you have Macs) to store your stuff in the cloud and sync.

You can continue to use your licence rather than a subscription.

This is not going away, AgileBits have made that clear.

There are advantages in changing to a subscription, but you absolutely DO NOT have to. See https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/68576/whats-the-difference-between-a-1password-subscription-and-a-standalone-license#latest for more info.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Chemist: Indeed, while a 1Password subscription is perfect for almost any new 1Password user, if you already purchased all of the licenses you need, I would whole-heartedly recommend not paying for a subscription. Dropbox is a great sync service, and even their free tier is more than sufficient for 1Password data. I've used it for years. The subscription service is a better option for folks who don't want to worry about which licenses they need or setting up sync because you just login to your 1Password Account on each device to access your data. But your existing license(s) don't expire, and you're free to use your current setup for as long as it fits your needs. Cheers! :)

• The only thing missing from standalone license is ability to view passwords on 1Password's own website - incase you are in a situation where you don't have one of your approved devices with you.

I must admit I have never been in such an isolated situation - but just the thought of being in that is forcing me to move to subscription service so I can see my passwords from anywhere.

I wish they add this service to all users (including standalone license users) to make it an equal comparison. Till then, Subscription Service > Standalone model

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Indeed, the web interface is definitely a cool feature that having the data hosted on 1Password.com makes possible. Cheers! :)

• I wish they add this service to all users (including standalone license users) to make it an equal comparison. Till then, Subscription Service > Standalone model

@rochak, but it's exactly that service we're paying for in a subscription. We pay them to store and take care of our data so that it is easily available too all our devices as well as in the browser. Wether that service is worth the difference in price is of course up to you. But adding it to the standalone license model makes little sense.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

pervel++

I would also add that it isn't sustainable business-wise (and therefore for the continued development and support of 1Password for all of our awesome customers) to host and maintain the web service without charging for it. If there were no costs associated with that in a future utopia, it's something we'd reevaluate. It would definitely be nice to have, but currently hardware, bandwidth, and folks to maintain the service aren't free.

• Just looked up the OS X version in the App store. Is $82 the correct price?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@pulprat,

It depends entirely on where you live and what currency your country uses. We set the price in USD, and Apple manages the currency conversion.

Ben

• PulpratPulprat
    edited October 2016

Ok. That just seems really steep for a password program.

• Ok. That just seems really steep for a password program.

I guess it depends on how much you value your online security. Some people would consider it a reasonable cost or even cheap compared to the potential cost for having their online identities and bank accounts hacked from having weak or reused passwords.

Personally I've gone for the subscription option, happy to continue paying for this. :)

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Pulprat: Indeed, you may want to consider a 1Password subscription, since it will give you access to all of the apps and do away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. It's just another way we're trying to make it easier for more people to use 1Password on all of their device. But as Martok suggests, it really comes down to what we each personally place value on. I'll add that there are free password managers out there as well if cost is the only factor. But we put a lot of time and effort into making 1Password easy and enjoyable to use, and also into supporting all of our awesome customers. To many people, that provides a very welcome alternative. Cheers! :)

• Yeah I got really confused when I saw that a yearly subscription was so much less. It seems the better way to go. I'm starting to appreciate that it does much more than I realized. Thanks for the feedback.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Indeed. I'm sorry for the confusion there. We're working to make things clearer, but we're also here to help fill the gaps if you have any other questions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.