Yet Another Hesitant Standalone User

luv314159
luv314159
Community Member

Standalone user here, love the product. Thinking about the family subscription... Mom got hacked. I feel terrible.

So...when I sign up for a family account, it's going to take my vault and upload it to the cloud? Should I save a backup of my standalone vault? I'm wondering what if I can't get my family members on board, or I decide the subscription product isn't right and I'd like to go back to standalone life? Is that possible?

I just have these psychological misgivings about cloud storage even though I shouldn't, knowing encryption happens locally... I'd almost prefer to buy a group license for the family but keep everyone's vault on their own computer. That's not possible right? Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @luv314159

Thanks for taking the time to write in with your concerns about moving from a license to a subscription.

So...when I sign up for a family account, it's going to take my vault and upload it to the cloud?

Not exactly, no. There is a migration process. Your standalone vaults do not become 1Password.com vaults automatically. You can read more here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

You can also continue to have one or more standalone vaults in addition to your 1Password.com vaults as well, but of course those vaults will not benefit from the 1Password.com features.

Should I save a backup of my standalone vault?

If you are using 1Password for Mac that is already done for you. You can read about automatic built-in backups here:

1Password backups

That said, there is no such thing as too many backups in my opinion. It wouldn't hurt to make a Time Machine backup before making any changes.

I'm wondering what if I can't get my family members on board, or I decide the subscription product isn't right and I'd like to go back to standalone life? Is that possible?

We do offer a 30 day trial to help with some of this concern. You aren't financially committed. You can move data back from 1Password.com vaults to standalone vaults, yes. You would need to download any Documents you have and attach them as attachments in your standalone vaults. That is one area in which standalone vaults and 1Password.com vaults differ. Standalone vaults have attachments, 1Password.com vaults have Documents.

They work similarly, and the transition from attachment -> Document is automatic. The reverse is not. The primary difference is that Documents do not have to be associated with another item (but can be). They can live independently of any other 1Password item.

I just have these psychological misgivings about cloud storage even though I shouldn't, knowing encryption happens locally...

Have you read through our whitepaper? It is a fairly technical document in spots, but may help reassure you:

http://1pw.ca/whitepaper

I'd almost prefer to buy a group license for the family but keep everyone's vault on their own computer. That's not possible right? Thanks.

The only licenses we sell are individual 1Password licenses. We do not sell a family/group license. You could certainly purchase licenses for each individual, but that can get significantly more expensive than the subscription when accounting for each individual's various devices (mobile apps are sold separately).

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• luv314159
    luv314159
    Community Member

Thank you. I'll read the white paper in the next day or two. Still not sure about the account keys. If a master password is stolen can someone log into 1Password.com and view the key?

• No. Both the Account Key and Master Password are required to log in.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.