New Documents category

Philipp
Philipp
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Mac

Hello! I switched to your account system today. Inside some logins I have an attachment. I can open it but 1Password created a new entry for it inside a new "documents" category.

1) I think this system makes 1Password confusing. Now I have for every entry with attachment a 2nd entry and there is no direct coherence between them.

2) I found no information about this new category inside your guides. Maybe can you explain it?
https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/categories.html

Please make 1Password more easy to manage instead of difficult/complex.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Philipp,

I'm sorry for any confusion about attachments and the new Documents item category! I'll be happy to help clear that up. Also, as you noticed, our user guide needs to be updated, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Attachments are handled a bit differently in 1Password accounts: When you copy items from a local/standalone vault to a vault in a 1Password account, any attachments will become Documents. A Document is a separate item that can be managed independently of the item that contains it. The item that used to have the attachment will now have a link under Related Items, and you can click on that link to jump to the Document in much the same way you used to double-click on an attachment. You can click the file icon in a Document item to download & view it.

Having a separate Documents category also allows you to add files to 1Password without needing to associate them with another existing item in another category. So if you have a file on your Mac that you'd like to keep in your 1Password vault but it's not really related to any other item, no problem! It can be stored by itself as a Document.

Again, I'm sorry the way attachments are handled now was confusing for you, and we really appreciate your feedback about that. We don't want to make things more difficult, and perhaps this is something we can improve in the future. I hope this helps to explain how Documents work, but if you have more questions about that or need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. We're here for you! :)

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Thank you @Drew_AG for your clarification

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Philipp

On behalf of Drew, you're very welcome! If you have any other questions or there's anything else that we can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.