Intelligent tags and/or folders are missing?

Philipp
Philipp
Community Member

Hello, does your 1Password account system has no intelligent tags and/or folders also?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

By the way, I do not need folders. Tags are enough for me. I used folders only because your Android app could not handle tags. So maybe you can cancel folders, but please do not cancel tags and intelligent tags also. At the moment I can find normal tags inside Mac app but no intelligent tags. ...and inside your Android app there are no tags and no intelligent tags.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Philipp,

Thanks for contacting us to ask about this! Folders are not supported in 1Password accounts, but Tags are still supported, and they should work the same way as before: Tags

If you've added tags to any of your items in a vault, you should see "Tags" in the left sidebar of the 1Password for Mac app. Are you not seeing that? Tag should be right under the item categories.

I'm not sure what you mean by "intelligent tags", though. Could you be referring to Smart Folders? Like regular folders, Smart Folders aren't currently supported in 1Password accounts, but you can still use the same search options that were used in Smart Folders (you just won't be able to save those searches). To do that, open the main 1Password app and go to Edit > Find > Show Search Options (or use the ^⌥⌘F (control+option+command+F) keyboard shortcut).

If I misunderstood and you were asking about a different feature, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG
    Normal Tags I have found. With intelligent tags I thinks this is called smart folders. Is there any plan to include smart folders with saving option to Mac app again (and view option to Android app also)?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Philipp,

I'm also a huge fan of Smart Folders and I really hope we're able to support them in 1Password accounts at some point! They're really useful. I can't say for sure if or when that might happen, but I'll gladly let our developers know you'd also like them to come back. Thanks for letting us know you'd be interested in that, it certainly helps! :)

ref: OPB-698

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member

At the first time I thought 1Password accounts is a new way to sync between the systems (instead of Dropbox) only. But it seems 1Password accounts is a complete new product and the products around it (Mac and Android app) have losses with the new system. That's a pity.

• jmknoble
    jmknoble
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

Hi. Just started experimenting with migration from KeePassX on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) and 10.11 (El Capitan) to 1Password 6.3.2 with a 1Password account.

I used MrC's conversion utility to convert my exported KeePassX password database for 1Password, then imported it into my Personal vault under my 1Password account.

To my dismay, I'm seeing that my (fairly deep) folder structure from KeePassX has translated to "tags" in my 1Password vault; so where my folder structure looks like:

A
    |-- B
    |-- C
    | +--D
    | +--E
    +-- F

I now have:

A
    A::B
    A::C
    A::C::D
    A::C::D::E
    F

in my sidebar. With quite a number of nested folders, my sidebar scrolls off the charts and is rather unusable for the organizational purpose for which it's intended.

I also see that the 1Password-mini statusbar applet has the same structure under Tags, and and flat structure under Logins. Between the flattened tags-that-used-to-be-folders and the large number of logins (yes, I've been using some form of password vault since using StRIP on my Palm Vx and pushed things forward each time), the 1Password mini UI is fairly useless.

I pretty much need folders or smart folders to make 1Password usable for me without a ton of hassle trying to do the conversion. When might these features be added?

Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jmknoble,

I'm happy to hear you're trying out a 1Password account! Sorry that the transition hasn't gone as smoothly as you'd hoped with your folder organization, though.

In 1Password accounts, Folders have been replaced by Tags because, in addition to serving the same basic function as folders, they have additional benefits such as being able to assign multiple tags to each item (whereas an item could only be added to a single folder). But unfortunately tags can't be nested like folders, and it sounds like that was previously a big part of your data organization. I can definitely see how the change would be difficult for you to get used to.

I don't believe there are any current plans to bring back regular folders, but I can certainly imagine Smart Folders coming back at some point, especially since the same search options used by Smart Folders are still present in 1Password for Mac (as I mentioned previously). I don't think that necessarily helps as far as the "nesting" ability you miss from regular folders though, and I'd be happy to forward your feedback about that to our developers.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that! But if you have more questions about that or anything else in 1Password, please don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

• jmknoble
    jmknoble
    Community Member

Hey, @Drew_AG,

Thanks for the response. I totally get the usefulness of tags; it's just that forcing a complete reorg of things is not the sort of transition to 1Password I had hoped for.

In terms of aiding with organization, one possibility would be to allow for "nested tags", where the naming convention used by MrC's conversion scriptiness produces a nesting structure in the UI. Example:

folder => tag
    A => A
    A/B => A::B
    A/B/C => A::B::C
    etc.

If the UI did a little extra work to grok the "A::B::C" tags, it could present them in a nested structure like:

A
    +-- B
    ...+--C

That is, basically treat them like folders as far as the UI is concerned, but the tag ends up as the "absolute path" from the root of the password vault. There may be some implications to that which could add complexity to the UI, but it would certainly allow simpler tag organization from the standpoint of the sidebar.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you very much for your feedback & suggestions, @jmknoble! Indeed, it sounds like a "nested tags" feature would be very helpful. Although I can't promise if or when something like that will be added to 1Password, I'd be happy to send your comments to our developers to let them know about your idea.

Thanks again! :)

• michool
    michool
    Community Member

Hi Drew,

To be honest your tag system really isn't up to standard. At a minimum I would expect that the tag engine would suggest tags I've already used as I'm entering a tag. It would also be nice to have little x's on each tag in an item so I can delete them easily, ideally without even having to enter editing mode.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

To be honest your tag system really isn't up to standard.

@michool: I'm not sure which "standard" you're referring to, but certainly there's always room for improvement. :)

At a minimum I would expect that the tag engine would suggest tags I've already used as I'm entering a tag.

1Password for Mac, the subject of this discussion, does this already. I was using it just today to organize some financial data while switching bank accounts.

It would also be nice to have little x's on each tag in an item so I can delete them easily, ideally without even having to enter editing mode.

That's a great idea! Certainly something we can consider adding in a future version. Thanks for the feedback! :chuffed:

• michool
    michool
    Community Member

Thanks for replying. I'm using 6.3.5 for Mac (1Password for Families) and if I start typing the a tag name, nothing comes up. Would be great to know whether there's something specific I need to do to make it work. Would be better if I didn't ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@michool: I haven't the foggiest idea. Are you saying that editing an item and starting to type in the Tag field doesn't suggest existing matching tags in a dropdown menu below?

I believe this feature was added years ago (though I can't remember the version), but given that you seem to be running a rather out of date copy of 1Password for Mac, I wonder if that accounts for at least some of the discrepancy. Please drag it to the Trash, restart your Mac, and install the latest version from our website and let me know if that makes a difference.

• michool
    michool
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty. I've figured out what the issue is - although you do indeed get prompts for earlier tags in the main application, when editing directly from the mini 1Password, something I do regularly when a login isn't fully captured (perhaps because of a two-step signup) then you aren't prompted. I would have thought that you'd have a single codebase for editing items so never thought to check in the main app. Perhaps one function to improve?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@michool: Whoa. You're absolutely right! Never in my life have I edited a tag in 1Password mini, but I have no idea why. It certainly makes sense that you'd do that, and that you'd expect it to behave the same way as the main 1Password app. It may be that there's a reason we can't do this that I'm not aware of, or that its simply a bug. I'll bring this up with the development team, and I'm incredibly grateful that you mentioned it in the first place!

ref: OPM-4691

• michool
    michool
    Community Member

Glad to help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.