More subscription options?

Right now I see option for

$2.99 per month billed annually

I would consider buying subscription if there are more options, like

one time payment for 3 year subscription
one time payment for 5 year subscription
one time payment for 10 year subscription

Hopefully you can offer bigger discounts for people who are purchasing such longer subscriptions (bringing prices closer to lastpass).

If there are such options available (in future), maybe I could then switch to 1 password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Itivu: I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your post to the Purchasing category of the forums since it isn't specific to the Windows beta.

Currently we offer two billing options: annual or monthly. We can definitely consider offering other options in the future though. Thanks for letting us know your preferences! :)

• +1 for this. I would like these options too :)

• JacobJacob

Team Member

Thanks for the feedback. :)

• steve23094steve23094
    edited September 2016

I'm not so sure about longer subs. Certainly 10 years is in the realm of silliness.

It's just a consumer protection thing because you have no idea how long AB will be around. Or they could be bought out and the new owner could refuse to honour the subscriptions. There are a number of examples of these exact scenarios occurring across the web.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

I could certainly see especially 1Password Teams customers being interested in longer agreements, potentially with greater discounts. But in general yes -- I'd think for the average individual about 3 years would be the most folks would want.

Ben

• Consider the following:

When my CC expires, it's an incredible hassle to remember to reset all of the various automated billing that takes place on that card.

If my card is lost or stolen, same thing.

I as well would happily pay for 5 years in advance as this is a staple app for daily life. While being billed monthly for such a tiny amount is the very last option on my list. I can certainly live with annual.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

A fair point, @plasma800! Thanks for offering your perspective on this.

Ben

• steve23094steve23094
    edited September 2016

@plasma800

I'm sure it varies from bank to bank and probably country to country, but when I get issued a new Visa credit card when my old one expires my bank automatically rolls across any subs to the new number. This all happens behind the scenes and there is nothing I have to do.

It would be a pain to do this manually.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@steve23094: That's a really good point. Unfortunately while that's been the case with some of my accounts, results have been mixed. I wish this was something standard that all banks just took care of, but on the other hand I've also been in situations where I'd cancelled a subscription and they kept charging me anyway...and having the credit card company forward those charges to the new account was not welcome in that case. I guess until this is handled consistently and fairly everywhere we just need to stay vigilant. :blush:

I think the strongest argument that can be made against prepaying 10 years is that, while we definitely plan on being around that long, as a customer, I'd hate to "lock" myself in to something technological that far in advance. I have no idea what the next 10 year will bring, even as an AgileBits team member. But I suspect we'll have different products and options by then, so I'm okay with renewing yearly to evaluate if something else is a better fit — if only because my own needs have changed. Cheers! :)

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@plasma800: Ah, I'm sorry! I can't believe I missed your comment earlier!

Consider the following:
    When my CC expires, it's an incredible hassle to remember to reset all of the various automated billing that takes place on that card.
    If my card is lost or stolen, same thing.

Fortunately, there's an app for that! This may not be the best solution, but it's one that works for me: any account with a credit card associated with it is tagged with that card's name. So when I replace or cancel it, I just need to go through the items with that tag to get everything sorted. I hope this helps! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.