Knox is at the end of life ?

avinatoravinator Junior Member

is knox toward end of life ? It appears there seem to be a lot of lack of support and people are having problems running 10.11xx

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Andrew_AGAndrew_AG

AgileBits Team Member

Knox is no longer available for sale. Our developer focus is almost entirely on 1Password.com accounts right now, and will be for the next while, so further Knox development is not really happening at this time. This might change in the future, but it seemed unfair to continue selling it if it is not under development at the moment. We are very sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

• avinatoravinator Junior Member

Too bad.

• Andrew_AGAndrew_AG

AgileBits Team Member

We are still supporting it in the troubleshooting sense, but yeah, otherwise it is more or less EOL, at least for now. As I said, though, that could change in the future.

• I am exceedingly sorry to hear that Knox is no longer under development--it's a great little program that I have depended upon for several years.

Should I be worried that--for some reason I cannot fathom--all of a sudden the name of one of my two Knox vaults was changed (not by me!) to "Install Google Drive"? After a restart, the name reverted to the original, and all my documents are there, but I wonder whether the data in my vault might have been compromised and whether it is still secure. (I upgraded to Sierra a few days before I saw/noticed the change in the name of the vault.)

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

I am exceedingly sorry to hear that Knox is no longer under development--it's a great little program that I have depended upon for several years.

@scrib: I hear you. I use Knox too, almost every day, and it makes me sad to think that this might be the end of the line for it. We don't have any news on this front and perhaps never will, but I hold out hope that Knox may rise again someday.

Should I be worried that--for some reason I cannot fathom--all of a sudden the name of one of my two Knox vaults was changed (not by me!) to "Install Google Drive"? After a restart, the name reverted to the original, and all my documents are there, but I wonder whether the data in my vault might have been compromised and whether it is still secure. (I upgraded to Sierra a few days before I saw/noticed the change in the name of the vault.)

You definitely don't need to be worried from a security perspective. Knox uses the macOS (née OS X) disk image technology with built-in encryption. Math doesn't lie. No matter how many times it happens, I am always simultaneously happy and heartbroken that someone who's forgotten their password cannot access their vault. It's a good thing, because there's no backdoor; but it also means that if you forget your password, you've lost access to your data as well.

However, there may be cause for concern from a data corruption standpoint. If the vault on disk is damaged, it won't be useable. But it sounds like you're able to access it now, so that is heartening. Just be sure that you backup your vaults along with your other data. Hardware fails, and the filesystems we're using are not resilient against corruption either. It's only a matter of time until each of us suffers a catastrophic failure of one kind or another, and having a backup to restore to is a lifesaver.

That said, it sounds like it may have simply been an OS glitch, perhaps as harmless as a display error, where the name of another disk image was shown — in this case, the Google Drive installer. Did you previously use that? If so, it sounds like it was harmless and restarting your Mac cleared up that bit of software confusion. :)

• @brenty: Thanks very much for your quick and reassuring response. I had previously downloaded the Google Drive installer, but that was back in 2013, and I do not use it, so perhaps this was, as you suggest, just a display error. Thank you again!

• Andrew_AGAndrew_AG

AgileBits Team Member

On behalf of brenty, you're very welcome. :)

• wkleemwkleem
    edited October 2016

I realise that this is a far fetched solution, but what about an encrypted storage container for iOS, which more people are using these days wrt MacOS. I have never used Knox or tools like it and I don't know if it will or won't work as described.

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

@wkleem: iOS doesn't give access to the filesystem, so it is much much more involved from a user perspective to manage actual files there. iOS has, however, added support for some inter-app sharing though, so over time it's at least become possible — even if it's a bit cumbersome.

It would be possible to make an app that encrypts the data you store in it though. After all, that's what 1Password does, though the use is different. But honestly there are already apps like that out there, and I don't have much of a use for them.

One thing I've always loved about Knox on macOS is that the vaults are portable and can be used separately from the app. That's not really something that can be done on iOS, since the data has to live inside the app's secure storage container. And in my case particularly (and I think many other Knox users), the data I store in my vaults is too large for me to keep on a device with much more limited storage than what I have on my computers.

But all of this may change over time, as iOS becomes more capable and we get bigger storage options. So who knows? But I think I'll still prefer a computer for this kind of thing for a log time to come. Call me old-fashioned! :lol:

• Hi

Does anyone here have experience with BoxCryptor which is a cloud based encryption storage solution? I wonder if BoxCryptor can replace Knox?

• SeanFosterSeanFoster

AgileBits Team Member

Hello @wkleem, I’ve unfortunately not had a look at BoxCryptor myself though it does look like they have a free version available (with some limitations) if you do opt to check it out, you can do so with no obligations which is always nice. And of course, one of my colleagues or other members of this forum may have given it a try and have some feedback for you. :)

• Andrew_AGAndrew_AG

AgileBits Team Member

I'm on vacation this week so I wasn't planning to reply to any posts until Monday but I wanted to say that, while this isn't an official AgileBits recommendation, I personally use BoxCryptor quite a bit, primarily because it does have iOS support. It has its pros and cons, but overall it's done a pretty decent job for me.

• MilkyMilky Junior Member

+1 on bringing Knox back; +100 on integrating it with teams!

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

Thanks! Maybe someday. That could be cool. :)

• I'll add my voice to those wanting Knox to be developed in the future.

If I'm not mistaken, Knox used Apple's underlying encryption technology, this being one of the main attractions over and above its competitors in that vaults can be opened outside of Knox because the OS understands the encrypted disk images. That's a huge benefit both when it comes to OS upgrades or if, as is the case here, the product is no longer developed, because some bug won't lock you out of your data.

I did look at BoxCryptor but it it a very different product, trying to integrate itself in to your cloud storage providers and it didn't work in a way which left me feeling like I was in complete control. That said, I do use both Cloud storage such as Amazon, and I also use CrashPlan for offsite backups and a robust encryption solution (like Knox) is an important part of that.

So guys, spare a little love for Knox - it wouldn't take that much effort surely to bring it up to date, even if it isn't a swish new interface and new features, just certified to work 100% on macOS Sierra would do me :chuffed:

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

You sound like me! Thanks for sharing your love for Knox! It's not the flashiest, but it's useful and has a place in our hearts too (and mine in particular). Hopefully we'll be able to revisit "him" in the future. :)

• +1 for Knox coming back. I'd pay for a new licence happily to support its development. So useful.

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

Thank you for letting us know. It really means a lot. It makes me sad that we don't have the resources to devote to a project like this currently, but it's good to know that there are folks like you out there who appreciate it. :blush:

• I like and rely on Knox. Simplest and sturdiest disk encryption I've come across. Like AndrewKing (and I'm sure many other users), I'd be willing to purchase a new license to ensure its availability.

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

Thanks for your interest! While I'm not happy that I don't have good news for you on that front, I am glad to hear that you care about Knox too!