Does iCloud sync require an app launch?

Options
steve28
steve28
Community Member

For example, I notice if I use the browser extension to save a new login on my Mac mini, it's not available to my MacBook browser extension until I launch the desktop app on the mini, then the desktop app on the MacBook.

With the browser extensions and 1Password mini, I find I hardly ever need to open the app. I hope it's not supposed to work this way. I sync via iCloud.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @steve28,

Thanks for writing in - that's a good question!

You don't need to launch the main 1Password app in order for the sync to take place. However, you do need to unlock 1Password (from either the main app or 1Password mini / browser extension). My guess is that after you save a new Login item on one Mac, you open the 1Password extension on the other Mac and unlock it with your master password. You won't see the new Login item there immediately because the sync didn't start until you unlocked it. But if you exit the extension, wait a moment, and then click the extension again, you should be able to find the new Login item.

Does that work as I've described? Let us know how it goes, and if for some reason that isn't working correctly, we can take a further look into it. :)

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG - Hmm.... I'll have to check, but I don't think I'm seeing this. What triggers Machine 1's 1P mini to sync when the new login is created? Is it immediate?

Also, on Machine 2, if 1P mini is already unlocked - what makes it check iCloud to see if there are updates?

• DoNotStaple
    DoNotStaple
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also am having this problem after changing from syncing with Dropbox, to syncing with iCloud. With Dropbox there was never a problem. Now that I'm syncing with iCloud, it never syncs at all. When I open 1PW > Preferences>Sync, on my iMac, the sync just spins a little circle and never completes. I have to reboot my iMac everytime I want to sync with iCloud. It syncs fine on IOS. Any ideas?

• DoNotStaple
    DoNotStaple
    Community Member
    Options

Agile Team. How about an answer to this problem. It's very important to be able to sync WITHOUT having to restart my iMac every time!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DoNotStaple

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with 1Password. Could you please try resetting iCloud sync on your device? Just go to Sync preferences and set sync to none, then restart your computer. Once thats done, set up iCloud sync again and see if that does the trick. If it doesn't, then please le tus know so we can dig a bit deeper and get this sorted out :chuffed:

• DoNotStaple
    DoNotStaple
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks it worked, but every once in awhile, after my iMac sleeps, I have to restart it again to sync. Still a bit quirky. I'm going back to Dropbox. Again, thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry to hear you continued to run into a problem! I'm not sure what was causing that to happen, but if you decide you want to try syncing via iCloud again in the future and run into more difficulty, please let us know and we'll be happy to take a further look into it. I'm glad Dropbox is working well for syncing your 1Password data!

If you need anything else, we're here for you. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.