To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I now have two master passwords?

plasma800
plasma800
Community Member

Hi, I have used a standalone lic. for a while now on 5 devices. I just converted to a family plan and followed the instructions at https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

I'm wondering a couple of things.

1) My 1password 6 on my laptop still opens using my previous masterpassword. And in addition to opening my family shared stuff, it's also still opening my previous vault stored elsewhere. I would assume this is the same on my phone.

I would assume that at some point I would need to stop using the previous vault and get all the master login passwords to be the same, but I'm unsure how to go about that.

2) I'm unsure where my new family vault is stored. I never moved it to any of my services, so I am assuming it's stored on your servers?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: DB

Comments

• Hi @plasma800! Welcome to our forum. :) I'd be happy to help out.

It sounds like you do have two Master Passwords. When setting up a family account, we usually recommend using the same Master Password you did before. If you don't, that's okay.

I'm unsure where my new family vault is stored. I never moved it to any of my services, so I am assuming it's stored on your servers?

That's correct. It's stored on the 1Password servers and automatically synced with your devices when you sign in. However, I noticed that your account currently doesn't have any items in it. Could you try moving things over one more time, following each of the steps in the guide this time?

Since you've used 1Password for a while, you are probably wondering, "Well why do I need to migrate to my account? Don't I just sign in to it?" While you can just sign in, accounts are a bit more than just something you sign in to. They also store your passwords, credit cards, and other info that you've saved in 1Password, which means you can access it wherever you are, just by signing in as I mentioned above.

You've got the right idea of what to do next: Remove the Primary vault you were using before. The last step in our Mac migration guide is for this.

Once your data has been migrated to an account, the old vault is no longer necessary. To remove your old vault, switch to it, then choose 1Password > Delete Vault.

All vaults stored outside your 1Password account must be deleted before you can delete your Primary vault.

Let us know how things go this time! If you have any questions we're happy to help.

• plasma800
    plasma800
    Community Member

Odd because I "copied" everything into my new personal vault and see items there I think. In my standalone app, I unlock with my previous 1 pass. In the upper left, the drop down reads ALL VAULTS, PRIMARY, (flag) Family name, Personal, Shared

Once I get my spouse signed in, I'll look into it deeper. This is one reason for switching for me was to split our passwords up, the other, to get a few more machines, including a windows box, hooked up.

On the windows box, I can sign in with my new pass and see all items.

Is it possible that I was supposed to move all items to the "shared" vault?

• @plasma800 Hmm, could you post a screenshot of what you're seeing? If you need any help taking a screenshot, there is a nice guide over here.

Once you have the image, make sure to remove or mask any private info since this is a public forum. Then just attach it to your post by clicking the document icon and clicking Choose Files. Here's what that looks like:

That'll give me a better idea of what might be happening. I just took a second look at your account and there are no apps shown on it, so I'd say the first step is to sign in to the apps on your devices, then move things over:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

You can also move things to the Shared vault so they will be shared with your spouse. Let me know how that goes!

• plasma800
    plasma800
    Community Member

Here you go. This is the stand alone version that I have always used on my laptop. When I select ALL VAULTS, I see two of every login. Presumably because I'm viewing the contents of my original DB file and my new family. Shared is empty.

On my PC, with my newly installed version, I only see the personal and shared box.

I'm more or less thinking that what I need to do is

1) Change my master pass for my previous stand alone to match my new 1 pass.
    2) Desync from DB

I'm unsure of exactly how to do this on my iphone though, it's still loading only my original DB file.

• Jacob
    edited September 2016

@plasma800 Thanks for the screenshot. Your observation about All Vaults is correct — you're seeing the Primary contents as well as what is in your family account. Did copy items into the account rather than moving them? That would cause duplicates to be shown. We recommend moving items because that empties the Primary vault if you select everything. :)

At this point, what I would recommend doing is making sure everything moved over properly, then removing your Primary vault by switching to it and choosing 1Password -> Delete Vault from the menu bar. You'll be asked for your Master Password. After you delete it, your family account's Master Password will be used to unlock 1Password in the future.

On your iPhone, the Primary vault can be deleted by unlocking 1Password, tapping Settings -> Advanced -> Erase All 1Password Data. This will quit the app once it's finished. Open it and sign in to your account then you'll be all set.

• plasma800
    plasma800
    Community Member

ok I'll give it a go. Thanks

• Sounds good @plasma800, don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any follow-up questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.