Masking credit card number like a password

Options
randeffects
randeffects
Community Member

I would like to be able to mask the credit card number field in a credit card entry type like a password or show only a subset of digits. This way if I have 1P unlocked on my desktop and someone walks over to my desk they can't see the credit card number on my screen. It should have the same actions as a password: copy, reveal, and large type.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.5.BETA-17 (650017) AgileBits
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Teams
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:credit card

Comments

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member
    Options

Add your own 'Card number' field and designate it as a password.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @randeffects

Thank you for taking some time to contact us. @steve23094 is right, you can already do that! Go to the entry where you're storing the credit card information and instead of using the field designated for credit card number create a new field (in orange on the screenshot) and click on the three dots at right (show in red). This will allow you to add a new field of kind password that will do everything that you want :chuffed:

Please let us know if you try this and how it works for you :chuffed:

• randeffects
    randeffects
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, I already did that on my own. I figured I would put the question out there to the product managers to decide if the existing field should be set to this behavior.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @randeffects

Thank you for your input, and for letting us know what you'd like to see in 1Password! In that case, we'll pass along your suggestion and we'll see what happens in the future with 1Password :chuffed:

• uniquethink
    uniquethink
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @randeffects - I agree and have previously requested this feature - and will keep requesting it. It is that important! It's nice to know you found an alternative, but as you point out, this should be set to the existing credit card field - we should not have to use workarounds.

@pilar I have very very low tech clients/students that I recommend this tool to all the time. They will never find and/or remember to set the new field without me telling them, so there are thousands (at least) of people out there whose credit card info is exposed! Sitting in a coffee shop, sitting in a co-working space, sitting in an airport.

The whole purpose of your tool is to help us keep our info secure!

Whenever I recommend the tool, I go into it to show people how it works. If I unlock the tool and the last area I was in was my credit cards it shows the world that info. Yes, I have found some workarounds, and yes, I will take the advice and manually hide it, but really, this seems like an important tool for anyone, if - in fact - the default is to show the last area someone was in, when the tool is open.

HIDE the Credit Card field - just like you let us hide the password. This is too important in this day and age not to have the option to hide/reveal.

Please, please stress the importance of this to your product managers for us. I truly appreciate your taking this seriously!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @uniquethink,

Thank you very much for taking time to explain some of the reasons why this feature would be helpful for you. We really appreciate it! We always take security and feature requests seriously, and although I can't make promises about if/when we might add this, I will absolutely forward your feedback to our developers.

Thanks again, and if you have more feedback, feature requests, or questions, please don't hesitate to let us know. We're always happy to help! :)

ref: OPM-2687

• uniquethink
    uniquethink
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Drew_AG - I appreciate your note. I know you guys do take security seriously, that is why I guess I'm surprised the feature request hasn't been implemented, yet. And why I took the time to try to explain why it is more of an issue than it might appear on the surface.

Thanks for the note and I do hope to see it implemented in the near future, so I can confidently tell my students/clients their credit card info can live safe behind a HIDE/Reveal setting.

Appreciate your forwarding my concerns.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.