To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Sharing 1password vault dropbox

Options
dpwct
dpwct
Community Member

If i don't have families or teams can my spouse and i share a vault - and both make entries. Will we have conflict problems with dropbox?
Also if we choose to use teams or families - do I need to share all my logins and cc's with the family or team or can i choose to share just some

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: osx
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:sharing

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi @dpwct,

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

You can share a vault using Dropbox. We have a guide on this available here:

How to share a vault using Dropbox

Also if we choose to use teams or families - do I need to share all my logins and cc's with the family or team or can i choose to share just some

You can opt which vaults you'd like to share. The Personal vault each user gets cannot be shared, and is personal and private to each individual user.

Update April 2017: We no longer recommend sharing via Dropbox. We provide best effort support for folks who have already configured sharing via Dropbox, but no longer provide instructions for doing so. Unfortunately sharing vaults via 3rd party sync services tends to not be a great experience. They have a habit of "falling out of sync" without any warning or notification, and it can be difficult and time consuming to get them back in sync. This was one of our primary motivations to create 1Password memberships. As such anyone looking to share 1Password vaults is highly encouraged to look into 1Password membership.

Thanks!

Ben

• dpwct
    dpwct
    Community Member
    Options

I'm confused are you referring to families, teams, or individual accounts. My partner and I would like to share some logins and some credit cards but not others.

• @dpwct,

The Dropbox option would be for the standalone product. No Teams, Families, or individual subscription. Just licenses for the individual standalone apps.

Individual accounts as the name implies are only for a single individual. So there is no sharing there. 1Password Teams is geared toward businesses and is generally more expensive than 1Password Families, so that isn't the direction I would point you. Where you really probably want to be is 1Password Families. This will allow you to easily share a vault (or vaults) with your wife, but maintain a private Personal vault. It also allows you to use 1Password on all of your devices for the cost of the subscription fee (the apps are included).

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• dpwct
    dpwct
    Community Member
    Options

Can you explain teams and families a bit, do team/family members need to switch between vaults to share passwords? That sounds cumbersome

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, because you would have a shared vault and personal. It's not that cumbersome.

You could copy entries into both, but if someone decides to update a shared item via their personal vault it could get messy.

• Can you explain teams and families a bit, do team/family members need to switch between vaults to share passwords? That sounds cumbersome

We have an "All Vaults" view, so you do not need to switch between vaults to view your shared items.

But sharing is done on the vault level, so if you wanted to share some items with your wife you would store those in a shared vault, yes. This is true regardless of which route you go for purchasing.

I'd suggest signing up and trying it out. There is a 30 day free trial for 1Password Families, so you have time to play with it and see if it is a good fit for you:

Families - 1Password

You could copy entries into both, but if someone decides to update a shared item via their personal vault it could get messy.

I wouldn't recommend that. I'd recommend moving items that you intend to share to the shared vault. As you mentioned having multiple copies of the same item around gets messy.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.