1Password on the MacStore, do I have to pay monthly?

Hello,
Thank you very much for that great app that you have developed.

Time ago I bought 1Password for iPhone and it is great and now I want to buy it for my Mac, but I have a quesiton that I would like to clarify before: If I buy 1Password on the MacStore, do I have to pay monthly as some comments say? or is it just a standalone license?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Ruyman

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:if I buy 1Password on the Mac Store do I have to pay monthly as some comments say? or is just a standalone license?

Comments

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

There are two options, a stand-alone licence and a subscription, and the choice is yours.

I don't see the point in buying from the App Store (there used to be a technical difference). If you buy from AgileBits you have a free trial period plus a refund period for the stand-alone version and a long free trial with the subscription version. If you buy from the App Store you don't get the chance to try before you buy and don't have a refund period.

I believe that for new users the subscription option is the best, but you can test which suits you.

For information about the differences see https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/68576/whats-the-difference-between-a-1password-subscription-and-a-standalone-license#latest

Note (this confuses people) it's the same program in either case, but if initially you "continue without account" you set up the stand-alone version (local to your machine, and any syncing is up to you) or you can set up an account (which will be on AgileBits servers, syncs automatically, but with a local copy always available). It is easy enough to bring your current iPhone data into the mix whichever you choose.

• JacobJacob

Team Member

Hi @ruyman! Welcome to our forum. :) Purchasing from the Mac App Store is a one-time thing and you will not be subscribed to the 1Password hosted service. Subscriptions include some great features to help you use 1Password seamlessly across all your devices. If you're just planning to use it on your Mac, purchasing once can work too. Just make sure to sync your data somewhere so you have a backup.

• Thank you @danco and thank you @Jacob

Sorry for the late reply, but the point of buy it on the MacAppStore is because, what happens if I change of computer to new Mac, I understand that I will get all my apps related with my MacAppStore, but if I buy directly, it will be like "new pc" and then I will need a new license. Am I right? Or once I buy here can I use it in my future computers?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
    Ruyman

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

For 1PW you do not need a new licence for a new Mac. The old licence works on all your Macs (though you may have to download the licence again, but even that may not be needed).

• JacobJacob

Team Member

@ruyman As danco mentioned, you can use the same license on all your computers. A subscription includes all your computers and mobile devices. It also has access from a browser if you don't have 1Password installed.

This discussion has been closed.