Error installing 1Password extension 4.5.9 for Safari v.10.0

Options
jfriede
jfriede
Community Member

I want to install 1Password extension 4.5.9 for Safari v.10.0 but get an error message that just says an error occurred during installation. Nothing else. I have 1Password extension 4.5.8 installed and am running OS X 10.11.16. The Firefox extension 4.5.9 installed just fine. Is there something else I need to do to install it in Safari?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jfriede
    jfriede
    Community Member
    Options

P.S. 1Password app v.6.3.3

• lolajl
    lolajl
    Community Member
    Options

Getting the same error.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jfriede

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with the extension. It sounds like you're trying to completely install the updated extension, is this correct? Can you please try going to Preferences in Safari, Extensions and see if at the bottom of the list you have an option to update the 1Password extension? This usually does the trick. If you're still having trouble, I'd recommend you to completely uninstall the extension and then download it again :chuffed:

@lolajl if you're on the same situation then I'd recommend you to follow the same advice. Otherwise give us some more details and we'll be glad to help you sort it out! :chuffed:

Please let us know how this goes for both of you!

• lolajl
    lolajl
    Community Member
    Options

That worked . . . thanks.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lolajl That's great news! If you need help with anything else you know where to find us :chuffed:

• jfriede
    jfriede
    Community Member
    Options

P.S. 1Password app v.6.3.3

• jfriede
    jfriede
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. Worked for me too. Thanks

• robertocastello
    robertocastello
    Community Member
    Options

Hello there I tried what above but still the same error message.

Safari Versione 10.0 (12602.1.50.0.8)
    macOS 10.12 (16A320)
    1Password 6
    Version 6.3.3 (633001)
    Negozio AgileBits

• gwu
    gwu
    Community Member
    Options

1Password: 6.3.3(633001)
    Extension: 4.5.9
    MacOS: 10.12 (16A323)
    Safari: Version 10.0 (12602.1.50.0.10)

Had the problem with 10.11

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

So, the latest version is in the Safari extension store?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW, version 4.5.8 is the only one available in the Safari extension store. I just uninstalled and reinstalled and was given 4.5.8. Bummer

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robertocastello and @gwu,

I'm sorry you're also getting an error when trying to install the extension in Safari! Thank you very much for the screenshots, they're very helpful for us!

If you haven't already done so, please make sure you quit and restart Safari, then try again to install the 1Password extension. If that doesn't help, try this:

• Reboot your Mac (important).
    • After the restart, open the following link in Safari: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions
    • Click the big green Install button, and follow the steps on the new page to install the extension.

If you still can't install the 1Password extension in Safari after the restart, you can try installing it from the Safari Extensions Gallery:

• Open Safari and go to the menu for Safari > Safari Extensions...
    • If 1Password is listed at the top, click on that (if not, you can search for it in the 'Search' field).
    • Click the Install now link.

Does that work? Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Steve_H,

FWIW, version 4.5.8 is the only one available in the Safari extension store. I just uninstalled and reinstalled and was given 4.5.8. Bummer

We submitted version 4.5.9 to Apple at the same time we released it on our own extension download site (Apple then must review & approve it before publishing it to the Safari Extension Gallery). Once we submit it, there's not much else we can do except wait, so I don't know why the latest version is not yet available there. My understanding is that there's not currently a formal process to inquire about that.

If you really need version 4.5.9 for Safari right now (or if you want to install the beta extension), you'll need to install it from our own extension download site (but it will not receive automatic updates). Otherwise, if you installed it from the Safari Extension Gallery, it will be updated automatically to the latest version as soon as it's available.

Sorry I don't know why 4.5.9 isn't available on the Safari Extension Gallery yet, but we're here for you if you need anything else! :)

• robertocastello
    robertocastello
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Drew_AG,
    unfortunately none of step you suggested allows to install the safari extension on my Mac.

Any other suggestions ?

Cheers, Roberto

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robertocastello,

Sorry to hear that didn't help! I think the screenshot you previously sent was of the error message you receive when trying to install the extension from our own extension download site, right? When you try to install from the Safari Extension Gallery, what happens? Do you get that same exact error message, or something different?

• Steve M
    Steve M
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Same problem here, with the "Error installing..." message. Running Yosemite 10.10.5, all the latest Apple updates except Safari 10.0, which is why I'm looking to install this updated extension.

I assume Safari 10.0 is supported with the latest 1Password6?

I'll try the steps now.

Update: Deleting the old and installing the new worked fine. No reboot or re-download needed.

• userx
    userx
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I just updated to Sierra and Safari 10.0. It is apparently impossible to install the current 1P extension 4.5.9 from your website. At first I got the error message "Safari can't install this extension". Then I removed the old one 4.5.8 manually in Safari, restarted Safari, and tried again. I get a message asking if I want to trust the extension. I press the Trust button, but nothing happens.

• Hi @userx ,

I'm actually having the same issue on one of my Macs. It appears to be an issue with Safari. I did see a suggestion online to restart the Mac in "safe mode" and try it then. To do this:
    1. Restart your Mac and hold the shift key down as soon as you hear the startup chime. Let go when it prompts for your password or finishes starting up.
    2. Note that your Mac will run very slowly while running in "safe mode".
    3. Try to install the extension.
    4. Restart your Mac.

I haven't had a chance to test this here yet, but if you want to try, please let us know if it works (or not). Likewise, if I find another solution (or it works here), we'll respond here.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• robertocastello
    robertocastello
    Community Member
    Options

_> Hi @robertocastello,

Sorry to hear that didn't help! I think the screenshot you previously sent was of the error message you receive when trying to install the extension from our own extension download site, right? When you try to install from the Safari Extension Gallery, what happens? Do you get that same exact error message, or something different?_

It just work, from the SafariExtension Gallery I didn't get any error message and everything seems OK.
    Thanks for the help, best regards, Roberto

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robertocastello

On behalf of Kevin, you're very welcome! I'm glad to hear that getting the extension from the gallery did the trick. I hope that you're all set up now, but if you need help with anything else, you know where to find us ;)

This discussion has been closed.