Multiple Copy Error Message on Dual-Boot MacBook Pro

Options
KenPS
KenPS
Community Member

I'm getting the multiple copies error on a new, dual-boot Macbook Pro. Setup is two internal SSD drives, one residing where the DVD writer was (new computer, 2012 modifiable model). Each SSD is set up as an independent, bootable computer so that my wife & I each have our own device within one shared case. When doing an update, 1PW 6 is seeing the other copy on the other SSD and reporting it as an error. If I do the update on either drive, what happens to the 1PW residing on the other SSD? Is there a resolution for this or should I ignore the error message and press on with the update?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @KenPS

Thank you for taking some time to contact us. Sometimes when there's more than one copy of 1Password in a computer there can be some issues with it and with the communication with 1Password mini. While this is not necessarily the case we warn people about it as the extra copies are much more often than not there by mistake. If 1Password is working properly for you, you can go ahead with updating it and ignoring the message. If you at some point realise that 1Password is behaving weirdly then you'll know what's likely to be causing it.

Please let us know if everything goes well for you wit this update :chuffed:

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue, but in my case after installing 1P on the new SSD, it will not let me proceed with using it because it said that it had connected to the "wrong" version of 1P. It will not let me get past the step of asking me to delete the "duplicate" copy! Help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @camner,

I'm sorry you're getting an error about connecting to the wrong copy of 1Password mini! It sounds like you're actually running into a slightly different problem than the OP, who was seeing that message during an update. When it appears during an update, that message is simply a warning which tries to help avoid future problems. But it's just a warning, so the update can be completed without removing those extra copies.

In your case, it sounds like you're getting an error message when trying to launch the 1Password app. This problem is actually due to a strange issue in the operating system which causes it to open the wrong copy of 1Password mini when it finds multiple copies of the 1Password app. Unfortunately there's not much we can do because the OS determines which instance of 1Password mini to run, despite us telling it the right one. But you can solve this by following the steps here: If you see "extra copies of 1Password found"

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that, or if you have more questions. Thanks! :)

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the link you provided really didn't help. The first suggestion is to delete the duplicate instances of 1Password, which in my case (dual booting system), I do NOT want to do, as I want/need 1P to run on both systems.

Then, the second suggestion (in the part about the problem occurring when making a backup) is to exclude 1P from the backup. I don't have a backup situation, so that didn't help.

I DID, however, figure out a work around. For the purposes of hooking 1P up right and getting past 1P's insistence on my deleting the duplicate copies so I could install 1P and get it working on my second system instance, I booted from the second drive. unmounted the 1st drive via Disk Utility, and then installed 1P and set 1P up to sync my three vaults. Then I remounted the first system, and all seemed to be good (I'll keep my fingers crossed).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! Another (perhaps too obvious) solution is the one I always use: click "Update Anyway". Have a great weekend. We're here if you need us! :)

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

@Brenty,

Well, that IS obvious, but doesn't work. None of the buttons are active. They are all greyed out.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @camner,

Do you mean you're still getting a message about extra copies of 1Password? In your last response here, it sounded like you were able to resolve that. Did you start seeing the message again, or are you referring to the messages you used to see before you found a workaround?

If you are now seeing that message again, it sounds like you're seeing the Update Anyway button, which should only be there if you get that message when trying to install an update. I may have misunderstood the original problem, but it previously sounded like you were seeing the error about extra copies when trying to launch the main 1Password app (in that case, the message shouldn't have an option to Update Anyway, as you aren't trying to update anything).

If you're still running into a problem (or if you started running into a new/similar problem), please let us know exactly what happens and we'll be happy to help you with that. Thanks! :)

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I obviously was not being clear, for which I apologize. Let me try again.

1. My problem is resolved.
    2. The method proposed of just clicking "update anyway" wouldn't work for me because that button was greyed out and not clickable.
    3. The workaround I came up with was to dismount the drive containing the other bootable system (the existing, "old" system), then install 1P on the "new" system (Sierra), and this time since there were no duplicate instances of 1P found, 1P was happy. After the update happened, I was able to mount the "old" drive again.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

@camner: Ah, no need to apologize. Thank you for taking the time to clarify! I'm sorry for the trouble there, but I'm glad you were able to work around it. Hopefully it was a one time glitch, but if you encounter this issue again please generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.