Delay when unlocking mini or main app on only one of my Macs

Options
Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password 6 on Mac is Suddenly Really Slow.

Comments

• chadbush
    chadbush
    Community Member
    Options

I've had a lag of several seconds (from 3 to 6 or 10, or sometimes even longer) every time I login to 1Password on one of my Macs — whether using the browser extension, 1Password Mini OR the main 1Password app. I always keep the latest version up to date of everything.

On my other Mac (a much slower Mac, by the way), things work as expected: nearly instant logins all the time.

The Mac that has the lag is a much faster machine, and this is puzzling and frustrating. I'm happy to share diagnostic information with you, but I don't know the best way to go about that.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chadbush,

I'm sorry you're experiencing a delay when unlocking 1Password! The problem from the previous thread is something that was fixed earlier this year, so you're likely running into a different issue (with similar symptoms). Therefore I've moved your message to a new thread to avoid confusion. I hope you don't mind!

It's strange that this only happens on one of your Macs (especially since you said that Mac is the faster one). It might help to restart 1Password mini: From the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. After it restarts, try unlocking it with your master password again. Does it unlock any faster this time? If not, try rebooting your Mac. Once it restarts, try unlocking 1Password again. Does that make any difference?

If not, we'll need to know a few more details about the setup on that Mac:

• What version of OS X / macOS are you running on that Mac?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on that Mac?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • Are you using a 1Password account?
    • If you don't have a 1Password account, which sync method do you use (Dropbox, iCloud, etc)?
    • When you enter your master password to unlock 1Password, what exactly do you see? (For example, does it seem to get stuck in mid-unlock animation? Or does nothing at all happen?)
    • Do you have multiple vaults in 1Password?

Thanks in advance! :)

• chadbush
    chadbush
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi Drew,

Thank you for moving my comment into a new thread and addressing this issue. So, at this moment, I'm not noticing the lag. So a system restart sometimes seems to help, but not consistently. More often than not, the lag happens and it's pretty extreme. Yesterday, when I was last experiencing this problem, I did try restarting 1Password mini, and it made no difference.

• I'm running Mac OS 10.11.6 on a Mac Pro (2013, the Death Star trash can variety).
    • 1Password Version 6.3.3 (633000) Mac App Store
    • I do not use a 1Password account.
    • I use Dropbox to sync. I do have a pretty heavy Dropbox setup, using the 1TB Dropbox plan to sync a whole lot of things. So I would suspect that to be a possible culprit. That said, I use the same Dropbox on my tiny MacBook Pro (also 2013) and it never has this lag issue. I generally only use one machine at a time, and I always wait for Dropbox to finish sync before powering off one machine, and after powering on the other, before I do anything. I also have 1Password on an iPhone 6+, synced to the same Dropbox vault, and do not experience problems there.
    • When I enter my master password, I see grayed out dots for several seconds where I typed in the password. Then, eventually, it unlocks. It does not get stuck in mid-unlock animation. It seems to freeze after I submit the password, until it unlocks. I can't remember if it lets me quit, but I think I've quite 1Password and tried again before, and it just did the same thing.
    • I'm using the current .opvault file type for my vault.
    • I do not have multiple vaults.

Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yesterday, when I was last experiencing this problem, I did try restarting 1Password mini, and it made no difference.

@chadbush: Thanks for following up! If restarting 1Password makes no difference, that indicates it's something else entirely which is causing this. However, it definitely isn't normal or acceptable that this is happening to you, so hopefully with some more information we can find the cause!

If you encounter this problem again, the best thing to do will be to immediately generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'.

Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• chadbush
    chadbush
    Community Member
    Options

I just waited about 10 seconds to log into 1Password, and Dropbox was already synched well before that. I just sent a diagnostics report.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chadbush: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: KQP-12862-973

This discussion has been closed.