1P Mini Has Trouble with Multiple Websites in a Login Item (Usually)

Options
SpinalNeon9446
SpinalNeon9446
Community Member

I have a Login Item set up with multiple related URLs that share the same ID & password. If I search for the item in 1P Mini and just hit enter, it dismisses the menu, and opens the first URL in Safari and fills the login correctly.

If I instead drill into the item and either click on one of the other URLs or navigate with the arrow keys one of the other URLs and hit enter, 1P Mini doesn't dismiss. The menu stays open, and it repeatedly opens a new Safari tab at the selected URL, filling the form each time without submitting.

This happens most of the time—occasionally, it works as expected. However, I haven't been able to discern a pattern.

1Password Version: 6.3.3 MAS
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: macOS 10.12
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• SpinalNeon9446
    SpinalNeon9446
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried it using the DS version, downloaded from 1Password.com. The 1P menu still didn't automatically dismiss itself. However, it filled and submitted the login form despite that. I suspect it's because it doesn't have to use the helper auto-submit AppleScript that the MAS version requires.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @Karl Moskowski,

I hope you don't mind but I've moved your query to the Mac area of our forums. I completely understand why you posted in the Saving and Filling in Browsers section but as the main issue seems to be with the 1Password mini process I just want to make sure the right people see this post as 1Password mini is an integral part of the 1Password application and any bug here will need to be pointed towards the Mac dev team.

One of my colleagues says they're able to reproduce the issue which is ideal really. If we can reproduce it should mean it's easy for us to file a bug report and makes it easy for the developers to debug and feel confident about the fix. I haven't come across this yet but I don't often use open and fill by way of selecting a particular website field so it's probably just a workflow difference for me. Hopefully we can get this sorted nice and fast.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Karl Moskowski: Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention! Frankly, I never use the keyboard to select individual URLs, so this was an interesting experience for me. ;)

I'm not able to reproduce the issue you reported where the wrong URL is opening. Could you give me a concrete example to try?

However, I was able to reproduce the odd menu/fill/submit failure you described. We'll investigate this further to see what we can do to fix this. :)

ref: OPM-4384

• SpinalNeon9446
    SpinalNeon9446
    Community Member
    Options

It's not that it opens the wrong URL; it does open the right one.

It's that 1P Mini doesn't dismiss after opening the URL and filling the login form. Then, when it auto-submits, it repeatedly opens the same URL in a new tab. Also, it's not limited to keyboard interaction; it also happens when I use the trackpad to navigate (though less commonly so in that case).

I have seen a similar behaviour if I hold down the command key too long after selecting the item to open. The helper AppleScript used by the MAS version of 1P auto-submits the form, but Safari interprets that as command+enter, so it opens a new tab.

I've switched to the direct download version, and it doesn't exhibit either of the the same behaviours with new tabs opening (since it doesn't use the AppleScript, IIRC). However, it also leaves 1P Mini open when I select a non-primary URL.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's not that it opens the wrong URL; it does open the right one.

@Karl Moskowski: Ah, thank you. I thought this was a separate issue you were reporting.

It's that 1P Mini doesn't dismiss after opening the URL and filling the login form.

Got it! I was able to reproduce that here.

Then, when it auto-submits, it repeatedly opens the same URL in a new tab.

I'm only getting multiple tabs opened if I continue pressing Return on "open and fill". It sounded like that's what you were saying too originally. Is that not the case? (Based on your later comments, it sounds like this is the result of a damaged Autosubmit script on your system.)

Also, it's not limited to keyboard interaction; it also happens when I use the trackpad to navigate (though less commonly so in that case).

Thanks for clarifying! I was able to reproduce that consistently using both the AgileBits Store and Mac App Store versions of 1Password using the keyboard, but we'll keep an eye out for this behaviour using the mouse as well.

I have seen a similar behaviour if I hold down the command key too long after selecting the item to open. The helper AppleScript used by the MAS version of 1P auto-submits the form, but Safari interprets that as command+enter, so it opens a new tab.

Why are you holding the Command key? Can you walk me through the scenario?

Regarding the Autosubmit script, try this (if you want to switch back to the App Store version):

1. Close all browsers and 1Password.
    2. In the Finder, go to the following folder: ~/Library/Application Scripts/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper (if you have trouble finding that, select Go > Go to Folder and copy/paste that location in the field that appears)
    3. Delete the 1Password_Autosubmit.scpt file.
    4. Reboot your Mac.

See if that helps. You can also try disabling and re-enabling it in Preferences. Let me know!

I've switched to the direct download version, and it doesn't exhibit either of the the same behaviours with new tabs opening (since it doesn't use the AppleScript, IIRC). However, it also leaves 1P Mini open when I select a non-primary URL.

I didn't experience any difference regardless of the URL I used, in either version of 1Password. But we definitely want the menu to be dismissed properly when filling. Thanks again for bringing this up! :)

• SpinalNeon9446
    SpinalNeon9446
    Community Member
    Options

I'm still holding the command key because I just auto-filled a form using command+\, and I didn't release it soon enough before the form got filled and submitted.

IIRC, I have deleted the helper script. A few months ago, I also re-formatted my MBP, and the behaviour returned after cleanly re-installing everything.

Anyway, since it's not a problem with the direct version, things are good.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm still holding the command key because I just auto-filled a form using command+\, and I didn't release it soon enough before the form got filled and submitted.

@Karl Moskowski: Ohh, okay! I thought we were still talking about selecting the login from 1Password mini. I think I've seen what you're describing occasionally, specifically in Safari. Have you also encountered the same issue in other browsers?

IIRC, I have deleted the helper script. A few months ago, I also re-formatted my MBP, and the behaviour returned after cleanly re-installing everything.

Thanks for letting me know! That will definitely be helpful when it comes to investigating this further.

Anyway, since it's not a problem with the direct version, things are good.

I'm glad to hear that's working better for you. We'll see if we can improve this for everyone else though! :)

This discussion has been closed.