How do I give 1Password to a friend or family member as a gift?

I've been searching around your forum and I see a few people have asked this question before, but there are no public answers.

I and the receiver are on iOS and Mac.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:gift

Comments

• JacobJacob

Team Member
    edited September 2016

Hi @chrhansen! That's a very good question. When we primarily sold 1Password licenses, we did have an option to gift them. With subscriptions, we haven't added that just yet. We've gotten a few requests for it, and I would love to see it in time for the holidays. :blush: I'll be sure to let the team know about your interest.

In the meantime, you're welcome to purchase a license from our store and choose "This is a gift" during checkout. If you'd like them to have a subscription account, check in a little later this year to see if we've added this. We'll announce it on our blog as we do most major features. Hope that helps!

ref: B5-1304

• Hello!

Could you explain: if I buy Single lisence for desktops (https://agilebits.com/store) as a gift for my friend, is it available for his mobile devices?

• RomanRoman 1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

@rvladv - The basic versions of the mobile apps are available for free on both iOS and Android. If you (or rather the giftee) want to use Pro features, they're sold separately as an in-app purchase and are not included in the desktop license.

I hope this helps! :)

• @Roman, thaks for your answer!

But I can't buy an in-app mobile lisence as a gift, only for myself. Is it rigth?

• RomanRoman 1Password Alumni

@rvladv - As far as I know Apple doesn't allow gifting in-app purchases, just apps. What you could do though is send the giftee an amount of $10 so they can 'buy' it using your gifted credit.

• Hi, has there been any developments on this topic? Hopefully in time for the upcoming holiday season :)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@eberkund,

Thanks for your interest. At present either an invitation to a 1Password Families membership or a gift card is still the best way to give someone 1Password.

Ben

• Jeff ShinerJeff Shiner AgileBits Admin

Team Member

@eberkund,

I think that helping keep your friends and family secure online is a wonderful gift. While we didn't quite make it in time for the holidays, I am excited to say that Gift Cards for 1Password.com are now available, including a $125 Gift Card on sale for just $99! These are great for both 1Password Families and 1Password Individual accounts alike.

You can purchase a 1Password.com Gift Card here. You can redeem your Gift Cards on your account's billing page, or if you are giving them as a gift, they can sign-up and redeem their gift card when creating their account.

• @Jeff Shiner is this for anyone? Including existing customers to use?

• Woohoo I did the $125 one doe $99 and you take Apple Pay, awesome!

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Absolutely for anybody. :) Thanks for the purchase, prime.

Ben

• What happens if you add the $125 gift card to an individual account? Does that extend the subscription by more than 1 year?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

No. The subscription will continue to bill at the interval you have selected (monthly or annually), but as you’ll have more credit than a month’s/year’s billing the credit will be consumed for multiple months/years until it is completely used up.

Ben

• Hi there,
    what does a humble 1Password.eu user do if he wants to grab this offer? From what I read, this seems to be valid only for 1Password.com accounts right?

• Oh and how long does the sale last?

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Manaburner: I really don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but...

Hi there, what does a humble 1Password.eu user do if he wants to grab this offer? From what I read, this seems to be valid only for 1Password.com accounts right?

That's correct; we don't yet have gift cards for 1Password.eu or 1Password.ca. I can't say for certain when we will, but we're anxious to add those as well.

Oh and how long does the sale last?

I couldn't tell you. We still need to work out the details for the other 1Password offerings, so hopefully we'll have more details around the time we're able to launch those. Thanks for your interest — and your patience while we work on this!

• Thank you @brenty Well on the other hand, I just saved 99$ ;)

• brentybrenty

Team Member

That's certainly one way of looking at it! :lol:

• I just looked into the Billings section of my account and there seems to be an option to redeem gift cards. One could think you can actually redeem gift cards. I tried with the code from the screenshot in this thread, but it was rejected as invalid. The button next to the CC is greyed out, but when you click on it nevertheless (I tried in 1Browser on my iPhone), you can add another CC or at the bottom of that window, enter a gift card code.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

I just looked into the Billings section of my account and there seems to be an option to redeem gift cards. One could think you can actually redeem gift cards.

@Manaburner: Yeah, I believe everything should be wired up there...but we still have some work to do before selling them in different currencies. :sweat:

I tried with the code from the screenshot in this thread, but it was rejected as invalid.

If that had worked, I think that would have been on Jeff for making that oversight. Never hurts to try! haha

The button next to the CC is greyed out, but when you click on it nevertheless (I tried in 1Browser on my iPhone), you can add another CC or at the bottom of that window, enter a gift card code.

I'm hopeful that we'll have something for you to use there before long. ;)

• Ok thank you @brenty

• brentybrenty

Team Member

:) :+1:

• This is a stupid question, but since I got an unpleasant surprise when subscribing (price increasing by 20% due to VAT):

There's no VAT on a gift card, right?

• brentybrenty

Team Member

This is a stupid question, but since I got an unpleasant surprise when subscribing (price increasing by 20% due to VAT): There's no VAT on a gift card, right?

@XIII: Not a stupid question at all! I hadn't actually thought of that. I'm going to double check this, but you should only be charged VAT on the service itself. So, hypothetically, you'd buy the gift card for the sticker price, and then when using it VAT would be applied and deducted from the gift card along with the subscription itself.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file