To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Subscription Account Features

pfournaris
pfournaris
Community Member

If i purchase a subscription account and do not want to sync to cloud at all, would that be possible?
Let's say i would only like to sync on dropbox or icloud or even locally . Is this an option or should i consider the other licensing scheme?

Thanks
Takis

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @pfournaris! Good question. :) I would recommend using a standalone license if you don't want to use the sync included with a 1Password account. I'm curious, though: Why do you prefer not syncing to the cloud? 1Password does a lot to make sure your data is safe when synced to the internet:

How 1Password protects your data when you use a sync service

I'd be happy to go into the specifics if you'd like.

• pfournaris
    pfournaris
    Community Member

Thanks for sending the link. I bumped into it today as i was searching through documentation and could not find it again.
    Still it is not clear (and you have not answered) if this is possible. If i go on with subscription would i be able to use these offline features?
    Answering your question for not syncing to cloud, i believe i can answer it in one word . Yahoo (and many more i guess, this is the most recent)
    Cloud is more and more emerging on many fields and services, call me an old-fashionist, i do not want to put all my passwords online.

• @pfournaris No problem! Subscriptions do include offline access with any of the 1Password apps. :)

Answering your question for not syncing to cloud, i believe i can answer it in one word . Yahoo (and many more i guess, this is the most recent)

I hear you. With the way we built 1Password accounts, it's unlikely anything like that will happen. Even if you use a weak Master Password, your Account Key protects your data. Put more verbosely. there are three umbrellas of security in 1Password accounts. Before all of them is your Master Password and Account Key. In the standalone version of 1Password, everything is protected by your Master Password and all the security wizardry in the app. But in an account, the Account Key is used to strengthen things even further. If you have a weak password, it's very unlikely someone will be able to access your data because the Account Key is a 128-bit string of characters that's generated locally when you set up your account. It never leaves your device, and we ask that you print it out to have a copy in case you need it later — you're probably not going to remember the whole thing. ;)

It’s great to have a Master Password and Account Key protect your data, but they also need to communicate with the server to access your data, so we use three layers to protect things at rest and in transit. The first layer is based on your Master Password and Account key, which are used to derive a secret that is used to securely encrypt all of your data, both at rest and in transit between your devices and our servers. The second layer is based on the Secure Remote Password protocol. It allows your devices and our servers to make sure they are who they say they are. This provides an additional layer of protection against attack. The third and final layer is the standard TLS/SSL protocol. This layer provides a final layer of encryption and also allows your web browser to indicate that you were communicating directly with a 1Password web server.

We also have a security white paper outlining the way we built things: https://1pw.ca/whitepaper

Simply put, if someone did get your data, they wouldn't be able to do anything with it thanks to the Account Key. If you use a strong Master Password, that makes it even more implausible that they could access your data.

• pfournaris
    pfournaris
    Community Member

Thanks for your prompt reply and details. I'll have a good look at the white paper you gave and then decide.
    Anyhow your support is great with speed and accuracy. Impressed..

• Glad to hear @jacob was able to assist you here @pfournaris, and of course please don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any follow-up questions after you have a chance to take a look at the White Paper. :)

This discussion has been closed.