Install without paying again

I have a family account that was installed via an App Store download. I received an error message on one of our Mac computers that instructed me to delete the app from the computer and reinstall from the App Store. I don't see any way to do that without buying the software again. What am I doing wrong? Can you help please?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @GNMix, I’m sorry to hear about the trouble 1Password is currently having on your Mac! Have you already uninstalled 1Password from this Mac? If not, please try the following steps if 1Password doesn’t start up correctly and you see this message. If one of the steps resolves the issue, you can stop there.

Option 1
    Restart your Mac.
    Sign out of the Mac App Store.
    Open the Mac App Store app and choose Store > Sign Out.
    Then open 1Password and sign in with your Apple ID if asked.

Option 2
    Reinstall 1Password.
    Drag 1Password from your Applications folder to the Trash.
    Then install 1Password from the Purchases tab in the Mac App Store.

It’s safe to move the 1Password app to the Trash. This will not affect your vaults, saved data, or settings. Be wary of using an uninstaller app like AppCleaner, AppZapper, CleanApp, and other similar apps. Uninstaller apps prompt you to delete supporting files when moving an app to the Trash, and this can result in accidentally deleting all of your 1Password data.

So long as you have purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store previously, you should be able to re-download it as many times as is needed across as many Macs as you’d like, you just need to be using the exact same Apple ID you used at the original time of purchase. If you’re certain you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store but are not seeing it, you may need to contact Apple Support.

If you’re not seeing your purchase of 1Password from the App Store, I noticed you have a license for our AgileBits Store version of 1Password as well, I’ve just resent it to you, you should receive it an email shortly. You could always reinstall this version of 1Password, your settings from the Mac App Store version should migrate over. The AgileBits Store version of 1Password can be downloaded here: https://agilebits.com/downloads

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

• Option 2 worked. I had made a mess of things by moving all of the 1Password related files to the Trash. When I tried to move them back and start 1Password I got several error messages. So, I re-downloaded from the app store. This time it didn't ask me to repay and when I opened it up everything was in order. Not sure why I struggled before but you pointed me in the right direction. Thanks for your help.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Sean, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that you were able to get that cleared up. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.