Different behavior when invoking 1Password mini

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Chrome extension installed but is empty.

Comments

• reemas
    reemas
    Community Member
    Options

how come the 1password mini in the taskbar works like the full 1 password, but the chrome extension which LOOKS IDENTICAL to 1password mini, only shows passwords for the current website?

if i recall correctly, my mac safari extension is a lot more functional and intuitive. also, 1password on windows constantly pops up and locks it self. <-- that is quite annoying and takes away my keystrokes from other apps.

• MikeT
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi @reemas,

how come the 1password mini in the taskbar works like the full 1 password, but the chrome extension which LOOKS IDENTICAL to 1password mini, only shows passwords for the current website?

That's intentional for the moment and you are seeing the same 1Password mini view, the 1Password browser extensions does not have a UI or data, it communicates with 1Password mini in the background and 1Password mini works with you. When you select something in 1Password mini, it passes the data you want back to the extension to fill.

When you open 1Password mini from the taskbar or notification area, there's no URL being passed on, so it shows you the database. When you open on a browser tab, the URL is being passed on, and 1Password mini goes into the URL specific mode, it would only show you the items it found for the site. We do plan to improve this in the future to match the macOS version where it shows both, the database and the items it found.

You can view your entire database at any time in 1Password mini, even on top of the browsers, and to do this, press Control + Alt + \ twice.

All of this will be improved to be like the macOS version of 1Password mini, the main reason it is not there yet is because 1Password 6 Beta and its mini is a brand new program where we have to implement everything from the beginning without being able to reuse any code from other programs. 1Password mini is still in its first draft and we will be improving it very soon.

if i recall correctly, my mac safari extension is a lot more functional and intuitive. also, 1password on windows constantly pops up and locks it self. <-- that is quite annoying and takes away my keystrokes from other apps.

1Password shouldn't pop up out of nowhere. Can you confirm that it is opening 1Password out of nowhere or does it happen when you press a shortcut like Control + \?

• reemas
    reemas
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

well i just clicked on the chrome extension, it asked for my master password. once i entered it it launched 1Password for Windows instead of just unlocking the chrome extension.

it did launch in the background, but that seems unnecessary. also, if i lock it, it opens 1pass for windows which also seems strange.

anyway, thanks for the clarification. I realize writing this from the ground up is not easy, so great work so far!

edit: 1 was just browsing the web when suddenly 1Password for Windows popped up OVER my web browser and showed the lock screen... not sure why that happened but that was certainly odd and somewhat annoying. i'll see if i can figure out why. I did not click the extension by the way.

• Hi @reemas,

Can you tell me what anti-malware solution you might be using beside Windows' built-in one? It sounds like 1Password extension lost connection to 1Password mini and that can trigger the last resort of trying to open 1Password via the system, which opens the main program, not the mini view.

• reemas
    reemas
    Community Member
    Options

Symantec Endpoint Protection

• Hi @reemas,

That shouldn't cause this type of issue. Can you do the following to send us your 1Password log:

1. Click on the start button to search for "Event Viewer". On the left sidebar, expand "Applications and Services Logs", 1Password should show up below here
    2. Right click on 1Password to select "Save all events as" and save it as 'logs.txt', set "Save as Type" to "Text (tab delimited) (*.txt)"
    3. Email that file to us at support+windowsbeta@agilebits.com, please also include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so we can connect the dots.

Thanks!

• reemas
    reemas
    Community Member
    Options

Done! Looking forward to your assistance.

• Thanks, we got the email and we'll reply as soon as we can.

ref: QCZ-83312-624

• stvkpln
    stvkpln
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing some interesting behavior.... I have a Windows VM I run, and when if I'm on the console, Mini invokes no problem. But, if I use remote desktop (either as a normal RDP or with an admin session), it looks like Mini tries to render (I see the outline of the box), but the window never materializes. This was working at one point, but I'll be 100% honest and I don't remember which build saw it working.... Likely in the earlier parts of the 220's.

I'd imagine it's pretty simple to duplicate the behavior.. but let me know if there's any other info I can provide.

• Michael Will
    Michael Will
    Community Member
    Options

I think this is an issue with the latest update (6.0.239). 1password Mini worked perfect for me, then I installed this update, now everything else works, but Mini only briefly appears (the outline of the window) before disappearing.

• Hi guys,

I'm not seeing this behavior yet and I've tried RDP.

1. Can you tell me the step by step you're taking to trigger 1Password mini? Are you clicking on the icon in the notification area or using Control + Alt + \?
    2. Does it matter if the browser was frontmost window or not?
    3. Was 1Password locked or unlocked at the time?
    4. What Windows version are you using?
  • Michael Will
    Michael Will
    Community Member
    Options

For me it's happening on my local machine, no matter how I try to open 1Password Mini. The hot key, clicking the extension icon, clicking the icon in the systray all yield the same brief window outline and this disappear.

Windows 7 64bit
    1Password 6.0.239

Worked fine before I updated to 6.0.239

• stvkpln
    stvkpln
    Community Member
    Options

In my case, it seems to only be via RDP.

1) It doesn't seem to matter how I invoke, whether keyboard shortcut or clicking the mini icon and selecting it... Same behavior.
    2) Browser being opened, closed, etc seems to have 0 bearing. I've confirmed with no browsers open, just Chrome (53.0.2785.116 m), just Firefox (49.0.1), in the foreground, in the background, etc.... Same situation.
    3) I've tried both ways, same result
    4) Windows 10 64-bit

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stvkpln, @Michael Will: I'm really glad both of you reached out, as, like Mike, I'm not able to reproduce this either, on actual hardware or in a VM. And it's definitely interesting that it's happening for both of you with different OSes and setups.

At this point, the best thing to do will be to restart your PC, reproduce the same issue, and then generate diagnostic information and send it so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

1. Open the main 1Password app
    2. In the Search box, type /log and press Enter
    3. At the top, click Email to send it using your default app
    4. Or manually save the log and attach it to a new email to support+windowsbeta@agilebits.com

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track it down. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• stvkpln
    stvkpln
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: you're not going to believe this (or maybe you will)... I pulled a diagnostic log, then noticed you said to reboot first, so I did that.. and now Mini is working. :sigh:

To be safe, in case there's something there, I pulled the log post-reboot where it was working, and I sent them both in just now for sanity. The returned Support ID is #JMY-99552-966

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016
    Options

@stvkpln: Oh, I totally believe you! Never fails! Thanks for getting back to me! I'm glad 1) that it's working for you now and 2) you sent the log anyway. Perhaps we'll find something there. I am sorry about your sanity though! Interested to see if Michael has a similar result. :lol:

ref: JMY-99552-966

• Hi guys,

We've just shipped the 6.0.245d update with the fixes for this, please give it a try and let us know if it is working better now.

• Michael Will
    Michael Will
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not in a position to reboot frequently so I was having the issue right up until I installed 245 and now the issue is gone. Thanks!

• MikeT
    edited September 2016
    Options

That's great to hear and thanks for confirming it for us.

On behalf of the team here, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.