Upgrading from 1password 3 to 1password 6 with a separate license

Options
tommytrees
tommytrees
Community Member

I purchased 1password v3 (mac) and then later purchased 1password v5 (windows & mac bundle). It looks like the 1password v5 license includes access to 1password v6. How do I upgrade using the new license without loosing all of my passwords and settings from v3?

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:upgrade with new license

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tommytrees,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help with upgrading to 1Password 6 on your Mac!

If you already have 1Password 5 installed on that Mac, the upgrade to 6 is very easy - just open 1Password 5 and go to 1Password > Check for Updates from the menubar. It will ask you about installing version 6 (just follow the on-screen steps).

On the other hand, if you're still using 1Password 3 on that Mac, there are a few more steps involved, but it should still be pretty easy. You can basically just follow the steps here: How to upgrade from 1Password 3 on your Mac

1Password 3 and 1Password 6 are separate apps, so you'll need to download 1Password 6 for Mac from our download site. Once downloaded, open the .pkg file to go through a very brief installation - that will put 1Password 6.app in the Applications folder, and it will be separate from the version 3 app. The first time you open 1Password 6, it should find your data from 1Password 3 and give you the option to use it.

1Password 6 uses the same license file for activation as 1Password 5. If you need help to add that license file to 1Password 6, just follow the steps here: Add your license

Hopefully that helps, but if you run into any problems or have questions about any of that, please let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.