Authentication Error pops up every few minutes

smmock00
smmock00
Community Member

Today I changed my internet provider (from Verizon to Cox) and it seems that it messed with 1Password's authentication of my account. Every time I make any change or try to use 1Password on my Mac or any of the browers, I get a popup window saying that there was an "Authentication Error" with my account and asks me to re-input my password.

I'm not sure if my new wifi and wifi password prompted this error, but I've been using 1Password without any problems for a few months and today (when my new internet was installed) is the first time I've had this problem.

Any ideas for a fix so the error box isn't constantly popping up?

Love the product (just upgraded from an individual to family account so all of my family can benefit from it) and thanks for your help!

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCould
Referrer: forum-search:Authentication Error pops up every few minutes

Comments

• deeptide
    deeptide
    Community Member

Experiencing same issue with no external changes eg. internet provider - Super annoying...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smmock00 and @deeptide,

I'm sorry you're getting an "Authentication Error" message when trying to use 1Password! I'm sure we can help to solve this one way or another.

Can you please describe exactly when that message appears and the exact steps you take which seem to trigger it? @smmock00, you mentioned this happens when you make changes in 1Password or use the 1Password extension in browsers, but it will help if you can be more specific - for example, does the error appear when you click the Edit button in the main 1Password app? Or when you try typing something in a field when in Edit mode? Or does it happen when you click the Save button? Or something else? In your web browsers, what exact steps do you take which cause that message to appear? @deeptide, if you can also give us more details about when this happens, that will be helpful for us.

Also, if possible, it would be great if you could each take a screenshot of the error message (just make sure it doesn't show any private data). To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks in advance! :)

• smmock00
    smmock00
    Community Member

Hi, @Drew_AG ! Thanks for your reply. And @deeptide, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

It seems like anytime I go to use the App or the browser extension (Chrome, in my case), it gives me the authentication error. It could be when I just want to look up a password or when I'm entering a new one. I haven't been able to pin down exactly what causes it, which I know isn't super helpful from a diagnostic standpoint, but it seems to happen most times I try to access the 1Password app (mac) or extension (Chrome).

The error never pops up on my iPhone app.

I've attached a screenshot, with my personal information blurred out.

Thanks,
    Shannon

• deeptide
    deeptide
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

Dropbox vault folder share (dvs) , AgileBits family share (afs)
    1. maintaining dvs sync as backup to afs
    2. Always open to = afs
    3. Accounts = afs always signed-in
    4. Vault for saving = afs
    5. Vaults included = only dvs unchecked
    6. sync = dvs - No changes made prior to or after afs

Any switch from dvs to afs or any switching among afs vaults triggers pop up.

Please see previously mailed screen shot
    ref: XFE-98764-384

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @deeptide

I see that Lars has answered you and is helping you fix this over email. We'll continue the conversation over there to not get our wires crossed and be able to help you better :chuffed:

• smmock00
    smmock00
    Community Member

Hi @Pilar and @Drew_AG . I see that you've reached out to @deeptide to help, but I am still having the same error. Would it be possible to get assistance? Thanks!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smmock00

I'm very sorry for our wires crossing and not realizing that you were still in trouble! This issue seems to be quite tricky so I'd like to see a Diagnostics Report. It will let us see what's going on and what might be causing this.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• smmock00
    smmock00
    Community Member

Hi, @Pilar ! Sorry for the long lag! I haven't been using my computer very much lately and when I was updating the macOS version tonight, I remembered that I never ended up running the diagnostics report that you suggested. I just did that this evening (even after the update to 6.6.1 macOS, I'm still having the same problem). I just sent the report to the email you posted above. The reference number is #ENX-89689-498 .

Thanks again for all of your help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @smmock00!

No problem about the delay. I'm sorry to hear you're still running into this problem, though! We received your Diagnostics Report, and someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Cheers! :)

ref: ENX-89689-498

This discussion has been closed.