Bug report - software license purchase date initial date selection is incorrect

Options
daleS
daleS
Community Member

I suspect this is a timezone issue.

Select new Software License
Click on the Purchase Date

In my timezone (Australia Eastern Standard Time) at 8:30am it shows the previous day as the default (Saturday, not Sunday).

My guess is that it is using the wrong time zone, as I've not seen this problem before and all previous entries have been created in the afternoon.

This is repeatable.

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @daleS,

My, that is a fascinating bug you found there! I enjoyed verifying it because I could pretend I was back in Australia (where I haven't visited for 10 years), even if it was only through my Mac's time zone setting function. :-)

I have reported it to our developers and we will see what they can do to get it resolved.

Best,
    Eva

ref: OPM-4388

• daleS
    daleS
    Community Member
    Options

Well you are always welcome back here! You'll need a lot of spare hours for the flights though :-)

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @daleS

On behalf of Eva, you're very welcome! I hope I get a chance to visit Australia as well at some point ;) If there's anything else that we can do for you, we're always here for you!

• daleS
    daleS
    Community Member
    Options

Still occurring. I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed yet. Even as a low priority this is not a tricky problem to solve (use local time zone, not GMT).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daleS: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! This was fixed a long time ago (in version 5.3), but 1Password will not modify your data for you; you'll need to update the item and save it, so that it has the time zone (along with the date/time) set to UTC. I apologize for the inconvenience there. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

• daleS
    daleS
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running 6.8.1, and I created a new software Software License before 10am this morning.

I live in Melbourne Australia (GMT+10) and it showed yesterday as the default date (26th August).
    I can run this again if you'd like to see it happening (screen shot with current date from menu bar + 1password showing the incorrect default date).

Dale

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@daleS: You're right. I apologize for misunderstanding. I thought this was an existing item rather than a brand new one you'd created, but I see that I was mistaken after reviewing the bug report we have open for this. The problem is that 1Password uses UTC for date/time now to avoid issues like the one in the blog post I linked above, so the date picker reflects this. I agree that it would be much better, but we do want to make sure that when we make changes like this there aren't unforeseen consequences — since that's how we ended up with the other bug in the first place. I know that's not a very satisfying answer, and I am truly sorry for the inconvenience; but I do think that this issue, since you can select the correct date, is preferable to having 1Password use an incorrect date as time goes on, effectively mangling your data. Hopefully we'll be able to find a solution that doesn't introduce further issues though. Thanks again for your persistence on this!

ref: OPM-3232

This discussion has been closed.