1Password 6.3.3 has an installer; no longer draggable

Options
justin291
justin291
Community Member

I downloaded 6.3.3 from the download page (https://d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net/dist/1P/mac4/1Password-6.3.3.pkg), and I am now being given an installer.

I have become extremely wary of any application that requires an installer. If 1Password does not require an installer (and an admin password), could I (we) be given the option to download the app and drag-install it as was available up to 6.3.2?

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dnedrow
    dnedrow
    Community Member
    Options

I agree. I work on Macs for which I do not have admin rights, so I can't use the installer method.

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@justin291 and @dnedrow,

We switched from a zipped copy of the app to an installer on our stable releases for a variety of reasons. Primarily, as a response to changes in the way Sierra handles app installation. We also are taking this opportunity to explore rolling some additional features into the installer in the future. We do recognize that the admin password requirements may be problematic for some folks and we are looking at ways to remove that requirement.

Would you be comfortable switching to a beta installation? We will be continuing to roll out beta updates in a zipped app file just as we have previously.

• justin291
    justin291
    Community Member
    Options

I am not interested in using a beta if you have no intention of rollout out that "beta" feature into the released version.

As to the "benefits" of using an installer:

1) Can you not drag-install applications on Sierra? It is standard-operating-procedure to drag install apps into /Applications.

2) Why would elevated access be required to install/run this application? Besides installing extensions (Safari, Firefox, etc), this application is a standard standalone application.

It is unfortunate that 1Password, an application whose design should be security conscious, seems to be missing the irony of asking for admin-level access where it should not have any need for it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

@justin291: I'm sorry for the confusion! As Eva mentioned, Apple has changed the way that app "installation" is handled in Sierra.

I am not interested in using a beta if you have no intention of rollout out that "beta" feature into the released version.

That's fine. Beta testers, as you can imagine, are generally comfortable managing these idiosyncrasies themselves, so its more reasonable to use a "traditional" distribution method there. If something changes, perhaps we'll go back to the old way, but I don't expect Apple will be reverting the security changes in Sierra, so that isn't very likely.

As to the "benefits" of using an installer:
    1) Can you not drag-install applications on Sierra? It is standard-operating-procedure to drag install apps into /Applications.

While the short answer is "yes", the long answer is "but it causes a lot of problems for apps". Rogue Amoeba first brought attention to this issue, and you can read more details about the changes in Sierra in the excellent blog post at Eclectic Light Company.

2) Why would elevated access be required to install/run this application? Besides installing extensions (Safari, Firefox, etc), this application is a standard standalone application.

Because you're running an app from outside of the App Store, where you'll often see "This application was downloaded from the internet", etc. The app is quarantined, and now also launched from a randomized location, before being copied to the system Applications folder.

It is unfortunate that 1Password, an application whose design should be security conscious, seems to be missing the irony of asking for admin-level access where it should not have any need for it.

We don't call the shots, so we must adapt to the changes made to security at the OS level. While it's inconvenient in the sense that it's not what we're used to, I'm glad that Apple is continuing to make an effort to stay ahead of the curve here so we don't end up in the same boat as Windows users.

• rex_sheridan
    rex_sheridan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there, I am using 1Password for Families and this issue is affecting me as well. I forgot my master password today and had my wife recover my account. Since the account was recovered I needed to login with a new account key. When I went to 1Password Mini I could not figure out how to remove the existing account and re-add with the new account key so I uninstalled 1Password. I downloaded the latest version and to my dismay I found the new packaging/installer based method. I do not have admin rights on my Mac at work. The entire reason I purshased 1Password after evaluating many alternatives was that there was a standalone executable that didn't need an installer. I can use the web interface but it is not convenient compared to the native integration supplied by 1Password Mini. I am event willing to use the beta version mentioned above as long as it works. Please solve this issue.

• rex_sheridan
    rex_sheridan
    Community Member
    Options

Btw, I found the link to the beta download. After I downloaded it I was able to run 1Password. I still found the "+" option to be disabled when I went to add the new account info. To remedy the situation I went to ~/Library/Application Support/, renamed the 1Password 4 folder, and restarted both 1Password 6 and 1Password mini. Then I was able to start fresh with the new account info.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for following up! I'm sorry you ran into trouble there, but I'm glad you were able to reinstall the the app and clear your existing data. In the future, if it helps, it's easier to go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data. Then you can simply login to your 1Password Account to access your data.

This discussion has been closed.