No Password Generator available in the extension?

Options
raspinall
raspinall
Community Member

I can't see how you can generate a new password? (Like on the App) You can do this on Chrome in the Mac version.. Make it the same please.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:chrome/mozila extension does not work

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hello @raspinall,

I hope you don't mind but I've moved your post and altered the title to what I believe may help others looking for the same thing.

The screenshot you kindly supplied indicates you're running 1Password 6 for Windows and it's connected to a 1Password hosted account. The combination of a 1Password account and Windows necessitates 1Password 6 for Windows even though it is still in beta and the beta tag is the explanation as to why it doesn't have a Password Generator accessible yet. When we introduced 1Password accounts 1Password for Mac had a very large lead over Windows due to previous design decisions from 1Password 4 for Mac and onwards. Despite these advantages there was a lot of work to do on 1Password for Mac to make it ready to work with our hosted accounts.

Windows had a much larger and tougher goal to achieve as they had to start from the ground up. 1Password 6 for Windows has been written from scratch because the previous codebase worked in a very different way. The Windows team are making great strides but there will be a period where it will seem to lack features that you're used to either as a Mac user or a 1Password 4 for Windows user. They are genuinely making fantastic progress though as not that long ago the complaints we received were that it didn't work with the browser at all, then it was you couldn't save and we're ticking these off one by one, bringing 1Password 6 for Windows closer and closer to the kind of functionality you've become accustomed to.

So this will happen eventually. Until it does it seems the Password Generator is only available when editing an item from inside the main screen. Clunky but it is present and I'm sure we'll see its presence in the helper app at some point in the future :smile:

• raspinall
    raspinall
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks heaps for getting back to me! All good, be good to be noted somewhere obvious as I wasted quite a bit of time thinking it was on my end.

Cheers again,

Richard

• On behalf of Adam, you're welcome.

We do plan to have the password generator in 1Password mini soon, we're still polishing up the new autosave feature that we've shipped a few days ago but expect more updates soon to get 1Password mini to match the same experience as the macOS version of 1Password mini.

• raspinall
    raspinall
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I'm still a bit confused now. So I have 1-password mini running? I have a friend that is running Windows 10 and in chrome their extension has all the fancy stuff? (Looks very close to the Mac version)

• Hi @raspinall,

Yes, the UI you see when you use the 1Password extension is from 1Password mini. The 1Password browser extension does not have its own UI or data, all of that is being handled by 1Password mini running on your PC, it communicates with your extensions.

• raspinall
    raspinall
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. So how do I get the same extension as my friend? What is that one?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@raspinall: I'm sorry for the confusion! All of the 1Password desktop apps from version 4 on use the same browser extensions. However, they depend on the main 1Password app for their functionality. So if you're using a different version of 1Password, the extension will only have the features it supports.

• raspinall
    raspinall
    Community Member
    Options

Right, so now that I've paid for "1password" can I downgrade to the one that he has. I'm so confused. I have 1password at work on my Mac and it works so good. I don't want this mini app.

• Hi @raspinall,

Again, we're sorry about the confusion.

You have a 1Password account. To use it on your Windows PC, you need the 1Password 6 beta, which you already have installed. This version doesn't yet have the strong password generator you're used to from 1Password for Mac in the 1Password browser extension user interface.
    The version your friend uses is 1Password 4. It doesn't support 1Password accounts. This version has the strong password generator in the extension user interface.

What Mike and Brent tried to explain is that the actual browser extension you install in your browser is the same across macOS and Windows and also 1Password 4 and 6 for Windows. The user interface the 1Password browser extension shows you when you click the button in the browser and the feature set, depends on the version of 1Password you have installed on your Windows PC (this user interface is what we call 1Password mini).

1Password 6 will get the strong password generator and a number of other features soon, bringing it on par with the Mac version.

I hope this clears things up. We're sorry for the inconvenience and are standing by to answer any other questions you might have.

Cheers,

Alex

• raspinall
    raspinall
    Community Member
    Options

Thanking you, love the quick responses! Two final questions then: can I just downgrade to 1password 4? And troll question: where is 1password 5.,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanking you, love the quick responses! Two final questions then: can I just downgrade to 1password 4?

@raspinall: You're welcome! You can absolutely use 1Password 4 if you prefer it. However, 1Password 4 cannot use 1Password Accounts, only local vaults. That's why we're building the new app. So you can totally go that route if you prefer the previous version, but it will mean not taking advantage of many features of the 1Password.com service.

And troll question: where is 1password 5.,

I love that this is your idea of a troll question. If only all trolls were as polite! ;)

Honestly we decided to go with 1Password 6 both because it's such a big change from 1Password 4 and also to bring the version number in line with the other platforms. It also allows us to say things like, "1Password 6 or higher is required for the 1Password.com subscription service," regardless of the platform.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions. Cheers! :)

• raspinall
    raspinall
    Community Member
    Options

Oh I didn't respond, I completely understand now! Looking back most of this thread was my confusion. Sorry! Thanks again!

Richard

• Don't worry about it Richard.
    If users get confused, it gives us an opportunity to improve our user experience.

Don't hesitate to write us again if there's anything else we can help you with.

Cheers,

Alex

This discussion has been closed.