Hi, my copy of 1Password has stopped locking on quit. It opens up with my vault open on restart

Options
kiwilegal
kiwilegal
Community Member

This is very worrying behaviour.

I quit. I re-open and the main vault is there for all to see.

I have now set to lock on closing main window on my main machine. But cannot do this on my second machine as the preference pane is greyed out and unmodifiable.

I sync with Dropbox

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.3.2 (632001) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:lock

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@kiwilegal You need to unlock 1Password on the second machine before you can change the security selections. HTH

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kiwilegal,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help with this! It sounds like you were able to find the setting for "Lock when main window is closed". If you'd like 1Password to lock when you quit the main app or close its window, you'll want to enable that option.

As for why the Security preferences are grayed out on your 2nd Mac, I think vplewis is probably right - it sounds like 1Password is locked on that Mac, which means many preferences cannot be changed. Just unlock the main 1Password window with your master password and go back to Preferences > Security. Now you should be able to make changes.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions. Cheers! :)

• kiwilegal
    kiwilegal
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I had all the lock down preferences set, except lock when main window closed, including lock down after computer idle for 5 minutes. But 1Password would re-open with the vault open. I have used 1Password for years, and have never seen this happen before.

Thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi @kiwilegal,

If the "Lock when main window is closed" setting is disabled (i.e. un-checked), closing the window will not lock 1Password, which means it will still be unlocked the next time you open it (unless it locks itself due to other auto-lock settings in the meantime). That's why that setting exists - so you can choose whether or not 1Password locks itself when you close it.

If 1Password used to lock itself immediately when you closed the window, that means:

• The "Lock when main window is closed" setting was enabled.

Or:

• The "Always keep 1Password mini running" setting was disabled.

So from what you've told us, it sounds like 1Password is behaving correctly according to whether the "Lock when main window is closed" setting is enabled or disabled. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean?

• kiwilegal
    kiwilegal
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

The worrying behaviour was not that it failed to lock when i closed the main window. The worrying behaviour was that i would come back some hours later. And the vault was open. Fully quitting then restarting - 1Password would open with the vault open - as I made clear in my first post. This is NOT behaviour that should ever happen. As I said, i have used 1Password for years. My preferences have not changed for years, until after this behaviour manifested itself.

In your respones above, you have focussed on the preferences issue. That is a concern. But the fundamental concern is in the first line of my first post. I quit 1Password, I re-open and the main vault is there for all to see. But this is part of a broader concern that it no longer locks after 5 minutes. I "cured' this by selecting preference to close vault when main window is closed,

I am not near my main machine until the weekend so cannot say more than that at the moment. Nor can I test anything until then.

Thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the clarification, @kiwilegal! :)

The worrying behaviour was that i would come back some hours later. And the vault was open.

This is the missing piece of the puzzle - you hadn't previously mentioned that it was still unlocked several hours later. In your original message, you said "I quit. I re-open and the main vault is there for all to see." which gave me the impression you quit (or closed) 1Password and immediately re-opened it to see if it had locked itself (and in that case, if "Lock when main window is closed" is disabled, 1Password should still be unlocked).

However, if you've set 1Password to lock itself after the Mac has been idle for 5 minutes, but 1Password remains unlocked after the Mac has been idle for a few hours, that's a problem. If your Mac was indeed idle for at least 5 consecutive minutes during that time, 1Password should have locked itself regardless of whether or not the 1Password app was open.

In your respones above, you have focussed on the preferences issue. That is a concern.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood the problem! I've re-read your first and second posts in this discussion several times to see if I missed something, but prior to your latest message, you had only told us that 1Password did not lock itself when you quit or closed the 1Password app. In fact, even the title you chose for this thread says "Hi, my copy of 1Password has stopped locking on quit." 1Password will only lock when you quit (or close) it if the "Lock when main window is closed" setting is enabled, which is why my answers focussed on that setting. (And just to avoid any confusion: Closing the 1Password window is the same as quitting the app.)

Now that you've explained the problem is that 1Password doesn't lock itself after your Mac has been idle for a certain period of time, we can look into why that isn't working. :)

I am not near my main machine until the weekend so cannot say more than that at the moment. Nor can I test anything until then.

No problem! One of the benefits of the support forums is that it allows you to work on the problem at your own pace. Once you have access to that Mac, please check the following:

• Unlock 1Password and then leave your Mac for at least 5 minutes (during which time you don't touch/use that Mac at all). Maybe give it an extra minute just to be sure. After that, come back to the Mac and check the 1Password app - is it locked or unlocked?
    • How long do you have your Mac set to stay "awake" before it sleeps?
    • If you unlock 1Password and then wait for the Mac to go into sleep mode, is 1Password locked or unlocked once you wake your Mac?
    • Do you use a screensaver? If so, unlock 1Password and wait for the screensaver to activate (or activate it manually). When you wake it up from the screensaver and check 1Password, is it locked or unlocked?

Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.