1Password 6 vs 1Password 4 for Windows and the use of 1Password.com service

Options
MikeT
edited September 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows
This discussion was created from comments split from: helping getting windows app connected to account.

Comments

• Krzysiek
    Krzysiek
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I'm using Mac Air and Windows 10 PC. On Windows I have app version 4.
    I'm new user and currently I have 6 months free period.

Windows app message is that my trial period has finished.
    How can I register this app for this 6 months free period and use whole ecosystem ?
    Where can I find licence key for this 6 months for Windows app ?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Krzysiek,

Thank you for giving 1Password a try! We hope you will like it just as much as we do! :+1:

1Password 4 for Windows doesn't support 1Password Accounts. If you want to use your Individual Account (with 6 months trial period), you have to download 1Password 6 beta. There are two ways to do that:

1. Download it from the Get the apps page on 1Password.com web site when you're signed in.
    2. Download it directly here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/64591/help-us-welcome-1password-6-to-our-windows-family#latest

Please note that we are building 1Password 6 for Windows from the ground up and there are many features missing at the moment. I hope for your understanding.

I hope it helps!

++
    Greg

• Krzysiek
    Krzysiek
    Community Member
    Options

Thank's for informations. Just wondering if new Windows client will support also adding new login data not only read them.
    Last Windows 6 version I have checked were without this most important feature.
    Additionally version 6 has some problems with Chrome browser.

Will you be able to explain me this constrains ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Krzysiek: The new app will support only read-only local vaults for the time being. We'll be adding full support in the future, but right now the new app is focused on 1Password Account support since the previous version cannot.

Can you tell me what trouble you're having with Chrome? I use it daily, so I wonder what might be causing issues for you on your system. Let me know!

• Krzysiek
    Krzysiek
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I have checked and Chrome is fine.
    The problem is that I'm using at home and at work Windows and Apple based devices and I need to use 1Password actively on both of them.

I can't wait until I will have access to Mac device when I'm working with Windows 10, I hope that you understand that very well.

Please confirm when you will be ready to publish even beta for Windows to add/update as a cloud service new password.
    LastPass has tis feature since "ages" ... I like 1Password but will not wait until someday in future ...
    Can you declare any period ?

• Hi @Krzysiek,

Autosave has been implemented in the recent beta updates along with support for downloading/uploading attachments for Document items. You can find it here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/64591/help-us-welcome-1password-6-for-windows-to-our-family/p1?new=1

• Krzysiek
    Krzysiek
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I'm using 1Password across Windows, Mac and iOS. Currently I'm synchronizing 1Password data via the Dropbox folder.
    Currently I don't wan't to move all my data to cloud in open way.
    Can I in this model to add or modify my login and password data from Windows 6.X client and browser plugin ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Krzysiek: Keep in mind that whether you use Dropbox for cloud sync, the 1Password.com service, or keep your data only on a single computer in your home your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so the security of your data does not change, only its availability. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. And even when you do store your data remotely, your Master Password is needed to decrypt it, and is known only by you.

Regarding the 1Password 6 Windows desktop beta app, local vaults are read-only, so you will not be able to make changes there using this setup. Since 1Password 4 a mature app that supports local vaults fully, that would be a better option. 1Password 6 is currently focused on 1Password Accounts since 1Password 4 cannot support those. I hope this helps!

• Krzysiek
    Krzysiek
    Community Member
    Options

The problem is that in this model you have suggested for Windows is impossible to use with cloud right now.
    Cloud will be fine but only for single platform enviroment if anybody is using mixed environments with Windows system you can't use Cloud. On the other hand if you count 3 X 64,99 USD standalone licence and compare with cloud is better to have cloud.

There is a solution in this situation you have to give Windows 4.X license for free just only for Cloud service users and that will be just fine. Therefore you will be able to use Windows 4.X app and add/modify data and for others just cloud.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Krzysiek: While you cannot use Apple's iCloud to sync your 1Password data with non-Apple devices, you can absolutely use 1Password.com and/or Dropbox across all current versions of 1Password. I do myself (though these are used for different vaults of course).

However, if you'd prefer to stick with the subscription for simplicity, but use 1Password 4 with local vaults and sync with Dropbox, shoot us an email at support+licenses@agilebits.com and we'll see what we can do to help. :)

• Krzysiek
    Krzysiek
    Community Member
    Options

Let's assume that I will chose cloud subscription.
    I'm using Windows as well as MAC and iOs, sometimes Ubuntu.

Once again:
    1. Windows Application 1Password 6.X can't add or modify login data, Only password read only feature - yes?
    2. Windows Application 1Password 4.X can add or modify login data and is not supported via cloud subscription. Using this app needs additional 64,99 USD for licencing apart of cloud monthly subscription - Yes?

If this is true that meand that of couse you can use 1Password for modification and adding new passwords but you have to double pay for monthly subscription and + 64,99 USD?

• MikeT
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi @Krzysiek,

First, I've split our conversation into its own thread, since we went off topic in the original thread.

I'm using Windows as well as MAC and iOs, sometimes Ubuntu.

Just to be clear, if you choose to go with 1Password 4, it's one license for all three desktop OSes (assuming you're using WINE for 1Password on Ubuntu), not 3 separate licenses. The desktop license at our store is licensed to the user, the user can use the same license on any number of Windows PCs and Macs. iOS is free to download out of the box but has an in-app payment if you want to unlock the extra features.

Windows Application 1Password 6.X can't add or modify login data, Only password read only feature - yes?

1Password 6 Beta can write, modify, and save new items for the vaults stored in your 1Password subscription.

Here's a screenshot of me adding a new Login item to my account in the latest 1Password 6 Beta update:

The readonly support is for local (.opvault/.agilekeychain) vaults that you add via Dropbox, OneDrive, and/or via the local drive. If you're syncing via Dropbox, you're using a local vault that'll be read-only in 1Password 6 Beta. You can copy the items in your Dropbox vault to a vault in your 1Password account, that will then give you full write support. We will add support for writing/modifying local vaults but that'll be down the line, at least later this year.

However, do not go with 1Password.com if it doesn't meet all of your needs right now. There's still a lot of work to be done and it is going to take some time to implement all features for 1Password 6 that 1Password 4 has now.

Windows Application 1Password 4.X can add or modify login data and is not supported via cloud subscription. Using this app needs additional 64,99 USD for licencing apart of cloud monthly subscription - Yes?

Correct, however we can help with the 1Password 4 cost if you've paid for the cloud subscription. We just can't say anything about this on the public forums as our plans will change the sooner we get to the 1Password 6 launch. If you can email us with the link to this thread and your forum username, we can explain more on what we can do for you.

If this is true that meand that of couse you can use 1Password for modification and adding new passwords but you have to double pay for monthly subscription and + 64,99 USD?

Nope, in the long run, you should only be paying the monthly or annual fee for using 1Password.com, all 1Password apps that support 1Password.com are included in the fees.

• Krzysiek
    Krzysiek
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Thank's for explanation, I will consider your proposition. Right now I'm using local file and I have sync to Dropbox. In this licence model additional licence for 1Password 4.X for Windows is required ;-(

To be honest since long time I was using also LastPass and in this cloud model even on Ubuntu I can use sync.

I like 1Password user experience in iOS and MacOS and this was the reason why I entered in 1Password. Now I'm in a 6 month free promotion and I'm testing all in my multi device and multi OS environment.

I see that for you second priority is Windows and I understand that you are primary Apple technology developer Team.

I'm sure that you know your competition and in LastPass experience for all browsers for all platforms Windows, MacOS, Ubuntum iOS, Android is the same. Last time they even have added support for Microsoft Edge what is still impossible in 1Password ? - why you are not entering to Edge with 1Password ?

I thought that same at least should be in 1Password or better but is not ;-( why ?

PS. could you please let me know your mail in private message? or should write to official support ?

• Hi @Krzysiek,

. In this licence model additional licence for 1Password 4.X for Windows is required ;-(

Only if you don't already own the desktop license, you only need one license to cover any numbers of PCs and Macs.

To be honest since long time I was using also LastPass and in this cloud model even on Ubuntu I can use sync.

1Password.com is relatively new, we're improving it daily and we can't talk much about Linux yet but it is something we want to consider.

For the past decade 1Password was available, we were recommended because of our local programs and no cloud requirement. However, over time, people start to ask for better sync experience, cross-platform, and the ability to share data between people, which is why we've been building up 1Password.com but it is a massive undertaking with almost everything changed.

I see that for you second priority is Windows and I understand that you are primary Apple technology developer Team.

We have a separate development team building a native app for each OS platform. We do have a much smaller development team on Windows and we did have some changes there but we're been growing the team. The thing about putting more folks onto a team, it can take a while to get them in sync.

However, our priority is 1Password.com service, which means cross-platform support is an absolute must, we have changed a lot of our internal workflow to stress this and to make sure cross-platform is considered first before we push a new feature. The problem is, 1Password 6 is a brand new program, which means it is going to take some time to build it up to match the experience on macOS. We couldn't use 1Password 4 to adapt the 1Password.com service.

Over time, we plan to show through our apps that 1Password will be a native cross-platform experience. We didn't do a good job prior to 1Password.com but to make 1Password.com a success, cross-platform is absolutely vital.

LastPass experience for all browsers for all platforms Windows, MacOS, Ubuntum iOS, Android is the same.

That's because their extension is self-contained and connects to the cloud backend to get your data. 1Password is always local first. Our extensions have no UI or data, it uses 1Password mini in the local 1Password apps to manage your data and to communicate with your 1Password extensions.

In order to support Edge, we must have a way to communicate between the extension in Edge and the local 1Password program. Edge does not have an official method to do this right now. We're waiting for Microsoft to add such an official method before we can support Edge.

As 1Password.com service continues to grow, we may be able to build a self-contained extension for all browsers as well, to connect to our 1Password.com backend and have its own data, which mean no local 1Password program is required and it would work anywhere. This is one of our long terms goal but we're just getting started and it is going to take some time.

PS. could you please let me know your mail in private message? or should write to official support ?

You can always write to us via support@agilebits.com or to our Windows team at support+windows@agilebits.com.

This discussion has been closed.