Chrome Extension fails every site

Options

I cannot use the Chrome Extension to fill any site. I've tried it in this Discussion Forum, Google's and others. No luck. The Extension loads but cannot be clicked on. The contextual menu, invoked with Ctrl + \, fails to show any logins for any given site.

It works for Firefox 48.0.2, however.

1Password Version: 1Password 4.6.0 Beta 614
Extension Version: Chrome Extension 4.6.0.7
OS Version: Windows 7 SP1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Ouch! I'm really sorry to hear that! Can you tell me the version of Chrome you have? I wonder if there's an update pending there, since that can break extensions until a reboot.

Also, I see you're using the betas of the app and the extension. Were you able to authenticate the connection between the two? This is a new feature only in beta currently, so if you haven't already matched the code from each, then something is blocking the connection. Do you have "security" software that may be interfering? You can reinstall the extension to attempt to reconnect. Let me know what you find!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I am using Chrome v53.0.2785.116 m (64-bit). I was able to authenticate between the extension and browser, although I initially declined it as I installed the browser/extension before the 1Password Apps (v4.6 and v6.0). This authentication feature is new and I never had to authenticate anything previously.

I do have ESET Smart Security 9 installed.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi

It's working now after I deleted the extension and then reinstalled and accepted the authentication. I wonder if declining the extension once or multiple times prior to its acceptance is the cause of the issue?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the update, @wkleem. I'm glad things are working better now. We did have some bumpy spots in these initial betas with the authentication mechanism. We'll have a new beta out soon to hopefully address this.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jxpx777,

Things worked for a brief moment but now it has resumed being broken again. :( I hope the new extension is out soon!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem We have a new beta out today. Could you see if it helps? The new beta is b8. If you were in a particularly sticky situation, it might prompt you to authorize again. This is normal. Let us know how it goes.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Also note that if you're still running into trouble, you can get more information about what is happening in 1Password Settings > Options > Browser > Refused connections. For example, it should list the process which is interfering there. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Brent, Is it 1Password Settings under 1Password 6 for Windows as I cannot locate it under 1Password 4.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: I am so sorry! I was referring to 1Password 6. 1Password 4 doesn't have the ability to display the connections currently. Do you have both 1Password 4 and 6 running? That may be part of the problem as well. Let me know!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I do have both 1Password 4 and 6 installed. I am using 1Password 4 more than I do 1Password 6 and until this problem arose, I left 1Password 6 installed but otherwise unused.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Ah, I understand. Thanks for confirming! Definitely make sure only one is running at a time. Keep in mind that both 1Password 4 and (now also) 6 will run in the notification area i the background, so it may not be obvious at a glance.

Since the 1Password 6 beta is being developed alongside some of the newer browser integration changes we're making, we've added more debugging/troubleshooting tools there that aren't part of the existing 1Password 4 app. Can you tell me which you'd prefer to use so we can focus on that and get the connectivity issue here resolved? We'll likely need some diagnostic information to determine what's preventing the connection from being established. Thanks in advance!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi

It's rather odd but I noticed that I have 2 1Password 6 versions .231 and .239 listed in my Program and Features Control Panel section.

I will be uninstalling the 2 versions and reinstalling again.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

The Chrome extension may actually be working but with a long lag time to make it appear to be not working. I haven't any idea how long the lag time is.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

When you say lag I take it you're referring to the delay between clicking the 1Password Browser Extension icon and the 1Password 4 helper menu appearing?

I'd like to ask.

1. Do you see the same lag after a reboot of the Windows machine?
    2. Is the lag present no matter how long Chrome has been running for i.e. a freshly launched copy of Chrome with a single tab open versus a copy of Chrome that you've been using for a while with however many tabs you normally have open.
    3. How large is your vault in terms of number of items?
    4. Do you have the Enable multiple URLs option enabled (Logins tab of 1Password's preferences).

Just some thoughts as to what might be causing any lag you're seeing.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

No issues now. I've shut down the PC overnight. I can't test further until the delay reappears. Hopefully not.

I am currently using 1Password Beta 4.6.0.8 with 1Password 4.6 Beta 614. I noticed that there is a stable 1Password extension out already but the beta isn't being updated to the stable release.

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPX4

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: The beta cannot update to stable, as they are completely separate extensions as far as Chrome is concerned. But the current beta is identical to the new stable version — at least until a new beta is released — so you're not behind. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @brenty.

Consider it solved, for now anyway.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I have my system issues under control for one PC. I most likely will have to do a factory restore on the other to see how things go.Putting back 1Password shortly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good. I'd be interested to hear how things turn out in both cases. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I am still noticing a delay with the browser extension 1Password Beta 4.6.2.1. 1Password 4.6.0 Beta 615.

1. Unlocking the vault with the Master Password is always nearly immediate.
    2. After the unlock, it can take 15 to 30 seconds to see the contextual menu.
    3. Subsequently, there are no slowdowns after the initial delay for the remainder of the session.
    4. I have not attempted to lock the vault from the System Tray and unlock it again.
  • Hi @wkleem,

1. Are you using OPVault by any chance?
    2. How many items are in that OPVault folder?

The initial delay can be normal for OPVault files after unlocking for the first time only, that's because it has to decrypt the entire database at once and find all the Login items to cache its IDs to find next time.

If you terminate 1Password 4's Helper, it will reset the cache and that'll incur the delay again.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

@MikeT,

I actually am on the AgileKeychain and haven't moved on to OpVault or Teams even when I have an account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: While Mike's right that OPVault is significantly slower in, 1Password 4 in general isn't optimized enough for all setups. I have one machine where it's just a few seconds, and others where it's more in the ballpark of what you're seeing — though those are fairly underpowered machines, comparatively speaking. It also seems faster in general on Windows 10. Definitely restart Windows in case there's a resource drain in the system that's compounding over time, and if you'll let us know a bit more about the hardware you're using, it may give us an idea if this is something expected.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @brenty.

My laptops are about 5 years old Sony Vaio, Sandy Bridge with 8GB of RAM running Windows 7 SP1. Does the diagnostics and troubleshooting send system details?

• Hey @wkleem,

Yes, the diagnostics report sends a certain amount of system details but from what you're saying the issue shouldn't be with the raw power of your machine under normal circumstances. I think Brenty might be onto something, assuming that the issue can have something to do with heavy load situations when the 1Password browser extension is attempting to read the data in your .agilekeychain.

I have another hunch, though: You mentioned further up in this thread that you're using ESET Smart Security.
    Can you please exclude the .agilekeychain folder from smart scanning in ESET? It's rare but we've seen cases where anti-malware software was tripped by 1Password decrypting the data contained in a vault.

Cheers,

Alex

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @AlexHoffmann,

I'll try again and report the results of my findings.

• We'll be standing by. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi

I am uncertain if there's more to add. I am now using 1Password Teams, 1Password 6, and 1Password 4. There is still a delay that's unaccountable. I am using ESET Smart Security 10 which is supposed to "friendlier" to 1Password?

• MikeT
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

What kind of delay do you mean? It's been several months since your last post, so can you be more specific?

We're not aware of any delays with ESET and 1Password 6 or any other AVs in that aspect.

1Password 4 will have a small delay when initially unlocking, that's due to its design. There are not going to be any fixes related to this. It is absolutely intentional that when bringing up 1Password, it is immediately but unlocking takes a bit of time before it shows the UI with your data.

This discussion has been closed.