Need help restoring Dropbox data [make sure the Dropbox app is installed and running]

Ben
Ben
edited September 2016 in Mac
This discussion was created from comments split from: Non-subscription license.

Comments

• attaboyix
    attaboyix
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

:| The hard drive on my mac recently bricked so I had to install a new drive, system and use time machine to restore apps and settings. Fine; except I can't get back into 1Password6. I downloaded my license to the new machine and 1 password opens and recognizes me but won't let me open the vault.It show me a login with entry field for account key which I don't have because I am not a subscriber. When I go to the link for non- subscribers (https://my.1password.com/signin) I see a sign in with places for a key and an account number. it is looking for my subscriber information for family and what-evers. I have spent literally HOURS navigating this - website without success. The user's guide is not any help. Tell me how to log into my 1password vault; please.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2016

@attaboyix,

Sorry to hear about your hard drive. As your question is unrelated to the OP's I've split it off into its own thread in our Mac forum so that we can give it the attention it deserves, and not distract from the other thread's subject.

Where is your 1Password data stored?

Unless you were using a 1Password.com subscription account we do not hold an encrypted copy of your data. When using the standalone apps your data is by default stored on your device, only. Syncing with a 3rd party service (Dropbox or iCloud) can be set up but it isn't the default. If you were using the standalone app and did not have syncing set up you'd need to restore your vault from a Time Machine backup.

Whether the data has already been restored by Time Machine (sounds as though it may have been), or if setting up a sync service, when launching 1Password for Mac you want to select the "Already have 1Password data somewhere else?" option.

Ben

• attaboyix
    attaboyix
    Community Member

What are OPs? My 1password data is stored in my 1password vault that I have had for I quite a while. I can't get my vault open because your website wants a account number. I don't have an account number because I am not a subscriber. 1password is locking me out of the vault on one machine, even though I have licensed the app on that computer. I have 1password on four other devices, working fine.
    This is not about data! Time Machine placed the app in my new hard drive, but I still had to download the license and relicense it. Done that before. The vault should be synced across the LAN. All Good except that when I enter my Master password the vault doesn't open.
    I am trying to restore its functionality to the device that I just restored, and the application will not let me into my vault because it is asking for information that is not relevant, that I do not have, have never received, and have never been ask for before.
    For all that it appears that I am not required to get a subscription to continue using 1password, it does not appear that I can"t log into my vault without an account; which is something you get with a subscription. So am I being stupid or is 1password being disingenuous, or have I gotten the roles backwards? This IS about my non-subscription license not working on my copy of 1password6.
    Sorry but it has been a long day.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@attaboyix: I'm really sorry for the confusion! I think Ben was referring to the "Original Poster" — the creator of the discussion you commented in originally.

We don't actually have any accounts registered under your email address, but it sounds like you're trying to access your non-subscription data by logging into the subscription service. It doesn't appear that you have a subscription 1Password Account, and since you mentioned you have a license we definitely need to establish where you have your data. An Account Key is only used if you subscribe to 1Password Families (or Teams), or signed up for an individual subscription plan. Instead, if you choose "Use without an account" you can sync your data from another device or create a new vault.

The 1Password app does not contain your data though, so restoring only the app from a backup only brings us to this point. The vault stored separately in your Application Support folder by default, though you can sync it to other locations. You mentioned syncing over your LAN. Can you tell me which other devices you've sync'd your data to, and which sync method you used? That may be a simpler option than trying to dig it out of a Time Machine backup. Please let me know!

• attaboyix
    attaboyix
    Community Member

My other mac is " set up to run a 1Password WLAN server which includes syncing of this vault to iOS devices."
    I also sync the primary vault with.... (Aw crap!) Dropbox! I had to start dropbox before the vault would open.
    All right, there is my answer and yours, if someone ever asks this question again. I think this thread should be renamed to refer to syncing with Dropbox because Dropbox must be installed and RUNNING on the device before you can use 1Password. It seems obvious but I started my different services in the wrong order, and ended up wasting a lot of time!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@attaboyix: This is great news! That's just the sort of thing I've been known to overlook at times. Our digital lives seem like they're becoming cities of Matryoshka dolls in some ways, so we end up with these "chicken and egg" scenarios. I'm glad that it was as simple as making sure Dropbox was installed and running so it could sync your data. You may be kicking yourself right now, but a non-catastophic oversight is always better than data loss in my book. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.