How to change the password of opening 1Password on iOS devices.

ernsti
ernsti
Community Member
edited September 2016 in iOS

Hi!

I'm totally confused about the Master password and the Password to open 1Password.

First of all, I created a new Dropbox Vault which syncs to all my devices:

• iPad
  • iPhone
  • Macbook Pro #1
  • Macbook Pro #2
  • Windows Pc

I disabled all other vaults.

The password for this vault is consistent, of course. No problems there.

Secondly, I want a consistent password to open 1password on all my devices. Here starts the trouble.

When I go to my MacBook Pro #2, I can "Change password for the "x" vault". Does this mean that I change the password for the Vault or to open 1password? Or are they the same?

So how is the Master Password for vaults and the password to open 1Password related?

Then I go to iPhone and try to change my 1Password password (to open the app) to my new password for consistency. This is impossible since I can't change the Master Password there to my new password because it's already the vault's password. When I open the app at that moment I still need to put in the old password.

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ernsti
    ernsti
    Community Member

Subject should be: How to change the password of opening 1Password on iOS devices.

• Hi @ernsti,

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

Subject should be: How to change the password of opening 1Password on iOS devices.

Fixed!

When I go to my MacBook Pro #2, I can "Change password for the "x" vault". Does this mean that I change the password for the Vault or to open 1password? Or are they the same?

If you only have one vault (the Primary vault) then the password for that is your Master Password and will unlock 1Password.

So how is the Master Password for vaults and the password to open 1Password related?

The first vault's password (or only vault in this case) is the Master Password and the one that will unlock 1Password.

Then I go to iPhone and try to change my 1Password password (to open the app) to my new password for consistency. This is impossible since I can't change the Master Password there to my new password because it's already the vault's password. When I open the app at that moment I still need to put in the old password.

I'm not sure I follow.

The first time you unlock 1Password on iOS after changing the Master Password for a vault stored in Dropbox you will need to unlock using the old password. This is because 1Password doesn't know about the new one yet. Changes in Dropbox aren't synced until 1Password is unlocked. After you unlock the first time, assuming syncing is working, the change should be synced and from then on you should be able to unlock with the new Master Password.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• ernsti
    ernsti
    Community Member

Let's start with this one since I find it very hard to explain. Sorry for any confusion.

If you only have one vault (the Primary vault) then the password for that is your Master Password and will unlock 1Password.

So I have 3 vaults where 2 are disabled. See here: http://take.ms/f9S4X

When I select the "E" vault I can change that Master password: http://take.ms/uFzns

When I select "All vaults" I can change that Master password: http://take.ms/malEj

So I can change the password for All vaults or for E vault. Primary and Ernst are disabled.

Question: What Master Password is "All vaults" related too? Is that the password used to open the application?

• Okay, I see where some of the confusion is coming from.

Unchecking a vault in the All Vaults preferences doesn't disable it. All it does is stops that vault from showing up in the All Vaults view. It is still there, and enabled (vaults don't actually have an enabled/disabled state).

The Primary vault is the one whose Master Password unlocks 1Password. Changing the Master Password from All Vaults view will change the Primary vault Master Password and thus the password you use to unlock 1Password.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• ernsti
    ernsti
    Community Member

Hey Ben,

Thanks for your answer!

The Primary vault is the one whose Master Password unlocks 1Password. Changing the Master Password from All Vaults view will change the Primary vault Master Password and thus the password you use to unlock 1Password.

This was the root cause of my confusion.

Could you please update this page https://support.1password.com/master-password/ so that it explains very clearly that the Primary vault is the vault that sets the password to Unlock 1Password for macOS and iOS devices? Would have saved me a lot of time and trouble :+1:

Or did I miss any FAQ page where this is explained? :blush:

Thanks again.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2016

I'll certainly pass the suggestion along to our docs team. :)

Thanks again.

You're most welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

ref: AKB-631

This discussion has been closed.