Feature Request - "Pay Accounts" Category

Options
Bern Shanfield
Bern Shanfield
Community Member

While I can use "Secure Notes" to make a record for each account shown in the hopeful attached picture (here are the categories or column headers in case the pic doesn't come thru - Change of address; Account; What For; Who; Amount; Frequency; When is Payment; Auto Pay; Debit #; Updated; Pay Source; Related Numbers; Telephone; Address; URL; Notes; Cancellation) it would greatly expand the usefulness of 1PW to have a built in category for "Pay Accounts".

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bern Shanfield,

Thank you for taking the time to write us with your suggestion to add a "Pay Accounts" category! And yes, your screenshot appears correctly in your message - thanks!

We hear a lot of requests to add a lot of different categories in 1Password, and as I'm sure you can imagine, adding every single requested category would end up being a big mess! :lol: But we'd definitely like to do something to help in situations where customers want to save information in 1Password that doesn't seem to fit into any existing category. Personally, I think adding the ability to create custom categories would be the best solution (although that's easier said than done).

For now, the closest thing we have to creating custom categories is Secure Notes. A post on our blog explains more about that: Secure all the things in Secure Notes

It sounds like that's what you're currently doing in order to store your "Pay Accounts" information, so you're probably already familiar with adding custom fields. If you frequently need to add new items with that same set of fields, it might help to create a Secure Note and set it up the way you want it, then save that as a "template". In the future, you can duplicate that item (right-click the item and choose Duplicate), then easily enter your data. This way, you don't have to set up a new "Pay Accounts" item/Secure Note from scratch every time.

I hope this helps, and thanks again for your request! If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. :)

• Bern Shanfield
    Bern Shanfield
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for replying!

Potential mess yes and depends if 1PW's is staying tightly focused within the idea of providing security (a sensible idea) or if there is an intention to broaden the offering along the lines of data organization. If data organization takes a larger role then ways to organize without making a mess would likely emerge.

Given the anchor point for data the secure data contained in 1PW initiates and the ease and effectiveness of having everything in one place provides, it's worth considering ;)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your feedback about that! We're always listening to what our users would like and looking into ways to improve our user experience. Although I can't say for sure what changes we may or may not make in the future, I can certainly pass your comments along to our developers.

Aside from that, I hope you're enjoying 1Password. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.