Being asked to install the extension even though it is already installed

Options
0rangutan
0rangutan
Community Member
edited October 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello,

It seems that an update was pushed out to the browser extension recently. I only just now re-started my browser, and ever since then, clicking the 1P toolbar icon opens a new page with the URL 'https://agilebits.com/browsers/welcome.html' which quickly changes to 'https://agilebits.com/browsers/auth.html' which is telling me to authorise my browser and to begin by first installing the extension:

But the extension is already installed! And what does authorising my browser even mean? I see on the release history page that the same / a similar bug was fixed with v4.6.1 but I am already on this version and still experiencing this.

Things I have tried that haven't worked ( = I still get the 'authorise browser, install extension screen ) :

• using the link in the /auth.html page to go the extensions page, reinstall the extension, restart my browser
  • restarting 1P Helper and the browser in all possible combinations
  • removing extension from the browser, restarting browser, then going to the main program and installing from there
  • enabling / disabling 'Verify web browser code signature.'

Would appreciate any help. Thank you.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.BETA-614
Extension Version: 4.6.1 on Firefox 49.0.1, e10s enabled
OS Version: Windows 10 x64, 1607 (Anniversary Update)
Sync Type: N/A

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm going to ask one of our Windows folks to look at this for you, but what I can say is that 1Password's current extension isn't compatible with e10s. There is an API that we rely on that Firefox has said won't be updated for e10s. We're looking at WebExtensions for the future, but I don't have anything concrete to share on that front just yet. Can you try disabling e10s and see if you have better results?

• 0rangutan
    0rangutan
    Community Member
    Options

I disabled e10s (and restarted the browser + helper) but I still got the same issue. FWIW, 1Password had been working fine for me with e10s enabled itself.

• Hi @0rangutan,

Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, I have almost the same settings as yours except I'm using 4.6.0.BETA-615 and I don't see your issue.

Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• 0rangutan
    0rangutan
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

@MikeT , I just tried clicking Export to File in Help > Diagnostics Report but nothing happened when I did that - the context menu disappeared the way it does upon clicking something but I wasn't asked where to save. I checked my desktop and Documents > 1Password folders to see if it was saved there automatically, but nothing was (added) there.

Edit: I tried locking-unlocking and exiting-starting the main program to see if it would fix it, but that didn't work either.

Edit 2: In the meantime, I have reverted to extension v4.5.9 and everything is working fine. I can update to 4.6.1 again if it helps you guys troubleshoot things.

• 0rangutan
    0rangutan
    Community Member
    Options

So I by chance managed to come across a folder at %APPDATA%/EurekaLog/1Password . It contains a file called 1Password.elf and I can verify that it gets updated every time I click Export to File in Help > Diagnostics Report, even though I am not asked or told where the saved file will be saved. Is this the file you would like me to e-mail? If so, I assume I should do after installing extension v4.6.1, correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@0rangutan: Ah, indeed. If something on your PC is preventing the report from being completed so you can save it, you may be able to get it manually:

1. Open Windows Explorer, type %TEMP% in the address bar, and press Enter
    2. In 1Password, generate the report using the Help menu and look for any files in the Temp folder starting with 1Password
    3. If you don't see a 1Password.zip file there, select the 1Password files you see, right-click to compress them, and attach the .zip file when you email us at support+windows@agilebits.com

Otherwise, send the 1Password.elf at least. We'll get to the bottom of this! :)

• 0rangutan
    0rangutan
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

@brenty , I looked into the %TEMP% folder but no changes were made to it when I tried generating the report. There isn't a file or a folder named anything similar to 1Password. Hence, I have only been able to mail the .elf file. I have included some more details in the email.

Thanks for looking into this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@0rangutan: Likewise, thanks for sending that! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: TQJ-41977-191

• matt_robinson
    matt_robinson
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this? I'm having exactly the same problem with Firefox 49 on Windows 7. Restarting the Helper doesn't work, and deleting and reinstalling the extension has no effect. It is in an install loop. Any priority on this would be greatly appreciated!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@matt_robinson: Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the exact OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

http://support.1password.com/cs/version/

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, are you using e10s, as the original poster? Do you have "security" software which might be interfering with 1Password's connection to the extension? Thanks in advance! :)

• matt_robinson
    matt_robinson
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Thanks for the prompt response. The issue resolved itself after upgrade to Firefox 49.0.2.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know it's working for you now, @matt_robinson. If you have any other issues, you know where to find us. :)

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• dhesmer
    dhesmer
    Community Member
    Options

My environment: MacBook Pro with Parallels Desktop 11.2.2 and Win10, Firefox 49.0.2 German language, 1PW extension 4.6.1, Win 1PW version 4.6.1.616
    and I still have the same problem. I deleted the 1PW extension, then re-installed it again. It says "successfully installed". The button shows up, but by pushing the button, nothing happened, no action at all.
    Every time I start Firefox I'm getting the prompt as at the 1st entry of this discussion "Authorize your browser ..., to get started ... install ..." If I install again, same procedure and after about 6-8 seconds I get a new Firefox window with the message "Authorize ..."
    Any suggestion?
    Diedrich Hesmer

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dhesmer: It sounds like something is preventing 1Password from saving the secret after authorizing the browser extension. Do you have "security" software or other extensions that might be interfering? Please let me know what you find!

• dhesmer
    dhesmer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,
    after checking and repairing the corrupted 1PW-Helper, deactivating the "Avira Browser Safety", deleting and reinstallation of the 1PW Firefox extension every thing works fine.
    Thanks, Diedrich

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that you were able to allow 1Password to connect by disabling that. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Have a great weekend! :)

• mufngruf42
    mufngruf42
    Community Member
    Options

I have exactly the same problem with my El Capitan imac running the latest Firefox. I don't seem to have anything called Avira Browser Safety..
    any other ideas?
    thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mufngruf42,

With the help of one of our amazing users I think, and I can't emphasise this enough at this early stage, we might have found one reason why people could see the welcome page unnecessarily when clicking on the 1Password Firefox Extension icon. We're exploring this and if it turns out to be something we may ask you, if you're willing, to test a beta and see if it helps. We will report back here if we have something.

ref: OPX-1256

• mufngruf42
    mufngruf42
    Community Member
    Options

every time I restart my FF browser, I get the "download 1PW addon" message.. so I do so.. and then have to do it again next time.
    what's the deal?mufngruf

1Password Version: 5.0
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.11.6
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:add on

• mufngruf42
    mufngruf42
    Community Member
    Options

sure - I guess - as long as it's not too complicated.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @mufngruf42,

I've merged the other post you made as I believe it's relating to the same issue.

The testing I have in mind is literally install the new beta once we have it ready and see if the issue reappears. It's either we figured it our and solved it or our guess was wrong and the issue is still present. We'll post here with more when its ready :smile:

• mufngruf42
    mufngruf42
    Community Member
    Options

okeydokey

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Cheers, @mufngruf42. Thanks for your patience. :)

This discussion has been closed.