i have 1password on my iphone. Id like to start using it on my desktop. I downloaded the free trial

i have 1password on my iphone. Id like to start using it on my desktop. I downloaded the free trial onto my windows desktop and it seems like it wants to start me off fresh. What i want to do is have all my passwords that I accumulated on my iphone through the years sync up to my desktop. I know this is possible but i dont think i'm going to get what I want by setting up a master password and starting all over again. Please advise
Thank you!!!!

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 8.1
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:I have 1password on my iphone and would like to have this accessible on my windows desktop

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@erdo1216: Since you already have data in 1Password on your phone, the best thing to do would be to start there. There are a number of sync options to choose from:

1Password sync options

But since you haven't yet purchased 1Password for Windows, I'll highlight the two best ones and their requirements, so you can decide which route you want to go:

1Password license

These are purchased separately, so in your case it sounds like you'd need the desktop version (since you've already got the mobile app). You can then configure Dropbox to sync your data between devices. In this case, you'd be using 1Password 4 (which you've already downloaded).

1Password.com subscription

This includes all the apps and does away with licenses and sync configuration altogether. You simply login to your 1Password Account on each device to access your data. In this case, you'd be using 1Password 6, which is currently in beta.

Let me know which one you'd prefer, and if you have any questions. Then we can get you setup properly. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• erdo1216
    erdo1216
    Community Member

OK thank you. I've downloaded 1Password 4 onto my desktop. I don't see any sync options so i assume i have to purchase the program first?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@erdo1216: The trial mode gives you access to the full app for 30 days, so you can sync your 1Password data too. You can use the WLAN Server feature to manually sync data with your mobile devices, or use Dropbox to sync your data between multiple devices in the background. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions! :)

• erdo1216
    erdo1216
    Community Member

I downloaded the trial version. I didn't see the option to sync. Maybe I will try and re-download version 4. Thanks for any help given

• Hi @erdo1216,

Let's take it one step at a time. It sounds like 1Password is starting up fresh because it does not see any existing data on your PC. For Dropbox sync, you must install Dropbox first on the PC and wait for it to finish downloading all of the files including the 1Password data.

However, that only works if your 1Password app on your iPhone is already syncing with Dropbox. Which means, we need to start with your iPhone.

1. Follow the instructions here to configure 1Password on your iPhone to sync with Dropbox.
    2. After that, install Dropbox on your PC from here: https://www.dropbox.com/install
    3. Once Dropbox is installed and you signed in, wait for it to finish downloading everything. You should see a checkmark on the Dropbox icon in your notification area, which means it is done syncing.
    4. Restart 1Password, it should now detect your data from Dropbox.

Let me know if this helps.

• erdo1216
    erdo1216
    Community Member

Thanks Mike. I will try this

• You're welcome, we'll be here to provide further assistance, just let us know if you get stuck anywhere.

• erdo1216
    erdo1216
    Community Member

Mike... looks like i followed your instructions but for some reason i dont see the file to restore all of my passwords from my iphone onto my computer. I've downloaded dropbox onto my desktop , opened it to make sure it worked then opened 1password to see if I can connect. Looks like it connects but i dont see any backup files from my 1password app from my iphone onto dropbox. Therefore, I cannot restore onto my desktop. Its reading zero files. Any ideas? or did i just totally confuse you?

• Hi @erdo1216,

There wouldn't be any backup files involved, it is going to sync your active data file between both devices. Backups are isolated to the device's storage itself.

By default, 1Password for iOS will create the vault folder called 1Password.opvault in your Dropbox > Apps > 1Password directory. This is what 1Password should be using on your PC. Can you open Windows File Explorer to see if that folder is there?

It is also possible Dropbox has not finished syncing yet, so you're just seeing a partial folder for the moment.

If you are able to unlock 1Password on your PC, what you can do is send us the diagnostics report, so we can see what's going on. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• erdo1216
    erdo1216
    Community Member

Hi Mike

I waited until today to actually look for that file extension (1Password.opvault). This is not in dropbox. I will try to forward you a diagnostic report later on tonight when I get home

Thank you for all your assistance!!

Fred

• Hi @erdo1216,

Okay, that would mean something didn't go right. Could you also send us the diagnostics report from your iOS device as well, this article will explain how to do this: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

If you can copy the link to this thread into that email via iOS, it would help us connect that email to your PC report and this thread.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.