Android 4.4.4 not supported?

jramskov
jramskov
Community Member

I'm currently trying to migrate a family member from True Key (first migrated from PasswordBox) to a family account, but apparently Android 5.x is required. Am I completely out of luck?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Reading a bit more, it looks like I'm simply out of luck. I think it's unfortunate that a 3 year old OS isn't supported, it's not as big a deal on IOS because Apple is good at providing updates, but that's not exactly the case with Android :(

• Hi @jramskov. Android 5.0 is indeed required for 1Password accounts support. Dave Teare goes into detail in this post as to why that is.

For your Kit Kat device, you're welcome to use and sync a local vault there. Just tap "Use without an account" and you'll have the option of creating or syncing a vault on the next page. If you have 1Password on a Mac, select 1Password 6 > Preferences, and click on the Advanced tab. From there, check the box to Allow creation of local vaults outside of 1Password accounts. This will create a local vault on the Mac, which you can then sync with Android.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you need anything else. Thanks!

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Hi @peri. Thanks for confirming my conclusion. I think the slightly old smartphone will soon be replaced which should make it possible, but the user is also using a Windows 10 laptop + chrome (made another post about that), which isn't working either.

Do I understand you correctly, that even when paying for a family subscription, it's still possible to use it the "old way"?

My conclusion based on this experience is that 1Password is great as long as you live in an Apple world, but outside Apple there's (for the time being at least), better solutions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jramskov: I hear that a certain internet company that makes a certain mobile OS may be announcing new hardware today. Let's see what they have to offer. ;)

Regarding Windows specifically and 1Password.com in general, the best advice I can give you is to sign up for the free trial and post in the Windows beta category of the forums with any questions you might have. We have a brand new Windows desktop app we're working on. That will give you a sense of where we're at with 1Password.com, where we're headed with 1Password for Windows, and we'd love to hear any feedback you have on either if you'd like to help shape both the service and the app going forward.

Also, you can absolutely stick with "the old way" for now if you wish (especially if you're waiting for an Android device/OS upgrade). We're happy to help with that in any way we can, although it does mean you'd be forgoing some benefits specific to a 1Password Account if you're unable to use it on certain devices.

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Those Pixel phones certainly look nice, but they aren't exactly sold at student friendly prices ;)

• Right you are, @jramskov. The Nexus 5X is far more affordable, imo. :)

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Not sure I like how Google is handling support though: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/10/google-no-plans-for-future-nexus-devices/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jramskov: Although the Pixel hardware looks good, I was a little disappointed to hear that there may be no more new Nexus devices too. However, it doesn't sound like Google is abandoning the existing Nexus devices, so hopefully they'll continue to receive software updates. Historically Google has been pretty good about that. I may pick up one of last year's models. ;)

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

@brenty Yeah, it sounds like it's all Pixel now. Nexus isn't abandoned, but it seems they are not a top priority anymore and will get updates later than the Pixel devices. Compare that to IOS devices and it's not looking good. The question is also how long they'll support the devices?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's a good question. I'll have to do some research before I make a purchase. My sense is that Nexus devices have gotten updates for up to 2 or 3 years after release, but I'm sure there's variation. There's gotta be someone out there who's made some charts about this. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.