Application will not open

Options

Download version 4.6.0.604
All of a sudden I cannot open the application on one of my Windows 10 machines. The best cause I can think of is that a recent Windows 10 upgrade behaves differently. When double-clicking the desktop icon or the exe file, after a little spinning I see the password page for about one second. Then it disappears never to be seen again. The Task Manager shows 1Password.exe as Not Responding.
I have tried uninstalling, re-installing, rebooting, with no success. It works normally on my laptop also running Windows 10. And it works fine on my iPhone.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:will not initiate

Comments

• That's quite peculiar, @BobKistler. Thank you for reaching out to us with your issue.

Can you tell us a bit more about the environment you're working in? Are you in a corporate environment with a PC managed by an IT department? Which anti-malware software are you using?

We'll get to the bottom of this.

Cheers,

Alex

• BobKistler
    BobKistler
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I am an aging work-from-home employee with total control of both of my computers. I tried disabling my Malwarebytes Home Premium 2.2.1.1043 but no difference. I should add that I have been using 1Password for at least a year with no issues. Unfortunately I had never created a Restore Point (until yesterday), and I do not know how to prevent Windows from upgrading (my choices when powering down are Update or Update and Shut Down), though I have never tried, since Windows 10 has always seemed quite stable except for the historic random rearranging of desktop icons.
    Thank you for you interest.

• That's peculiar indeed, @BobKistler.

Can you please try the following: Uninstall 1Password 4, reboot, and install the latest beta version from this page: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4#beta

Reboot the PC after the installation and then open 1Password.

We'll be standing by.

Cheers

• BobKistler
    BobKistler
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I shut down, and as it was shutting down I realized that I forgot to uninstall. So I rebooted and hopelessly tried 1Password and it opened normally! So I am guessing now that yesterday I was on the right track, but restarted instead of shutting down. So I am back in business now, though I still don't know what caused it to not respond.
    Thank you for your persistence.

• We've seen the occasional report of some applications, including 1Password behaving oddly after the last big Windows 10 update but almost all seem to have been fixed by a shutdown+reboot.

Anyway, if you run into any issues again, please let us know; we're always happy to help!

Cheers,

Alex

• BobKistler
    BobKistler
    Community Member
    Options

A few hours after my last successful response, the problem recurred. I got pretty good at putting the master password into the clipboard, then after starting, I would quickly paste into the box and click OK before the dialog disappeared. That would allow me to see and copy my various credentials, but the helper doesn't work at all.
    So I finally did what you suggested: uninstall, shut down and restart, and download 616 from the link you gave me. This time the password entry dialog stayed open until I closed it, but I was greeted by Secure Desktop that "1Password has detected an unknown process. C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ctfmon.exe" and I was asked to Allow or Deny. I allowed and 1Password opened normally. However, subsequent attempts returns to the two or three seconds I get to type in the master password before the dialog disappears.
    Is there no one else having this problem?
    Another oddity is that I have a Sametime chat program which I have configured to start when Windows starts. It used to, but it does not anymore. It's an outdated application and may not comply completely with Windows 10, but I am pretty sure it used to before the recent Windows upgrade.

• Hi @BobKistler,

That sounds like your security program or the Windows upgrade has done something to damage the Secure Desktop process. Secure Desktop is a Windows function that 1Password takes advantage of, and if it is damaged, then you have to look at fixing Windows before 1Password can use it. For now, I'd recommend disabling this feature to see if it works better.

Try this:

1. When you get into 1Password again with that clipboard trick, immediately go to the File Menu > Preferences > Browsers
    2. Uncheck the box next to Unlock on Secure Desktop and press OK to save the change

Now, lock 1Password and unlock, does it seem more stable?

• BobKistler
    BobKistler
    Community Member
    Options

Mike:
    That solved the problem quickly and permanently.
    I will now look into finding out what Secure Desktop IS and what it is used for, and try to fix it (it sounds like a good thing).
    Thank you so much for your persistence.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016
    Options

@BobKistler: Secure Desktop is a great Windows feature when it works, since it can isolate itself from other apps. Many configurations have incompatibilities with it though, so we have it disabled by default. Unfortunately Microsoft doesn't seem to have much documentation for it or troubleshooting resources, or I'd offer you some links. I'd say a good place to start might be to look at what updates you've done recently. That may have introduced an incompatibility, or it could simply be a glitch that's resolved by reinstalling a patch (for example, Windows Update).

• glecko
    glecko
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Not sure if I'm having similar issue - my 1Password application is starting and I can see it in the Taskbar, but I cannot see the window on the desktop. I can see the 1Password Mini application and continue to use the auto-filling in my browsers.

I'm on Windows 7 on a work computer controlled by IT so I have limited troubleshooting options.

Here's the real odd bit - when I'm in the office, 1Password works fine. When I'm on VPN is where I have the issues. (I've tried disconnecting VPN to no avail).

I'm happy to open a new ticket if this is a different issue?

(Edit) Was a multi-monitor-window-going-missing issue - found the right discussion and resolved. Thanks!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@glecko: Thank you for keeping us posted! I am glad to hear you've figured it out. :)
    Please reach out to us anytime if you have any difficulties, we are here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.