To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Migrating data - can't login with correct account key

Options
grant_liddell
grant_liddell
Community Member

I have got myself in a muddle in trying to load my existing 1Password licence and data on to a new computer (strictly speaking, it is a new drive with operating system, but to all intents and purposes it is a new device).

I have set up an account and printed (and saved) the password emergency kit.

I was attempting to follow the instructions for migrating data at https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/.

I could not get the QR reader to scan the code, so I entered it manually. However, i get an error message saying that ‘the email address or account key are incorrect. The Account Key should start with: A3-A9V38A’. The account key I entered I copied and pasted from the emergency kit, so i assume it is correct.

Can you advise me how I can proceed, please?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 4.5.9
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:migrating account data

Comments

• Hi @grant_liddell! Sorry for the trouble getting started with a 1Password account. It sounds like the sign-in address may be incorrect, based on what you mentioned. Could you please make sure you're using my.1password.com as the sign-in address when you sign in to the account?

I'm surprised the QR code isn't scanning. Does it scan on any of your other devices? I'd like to investigate that issue.

• grant_liddell
    grant_liddell
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that help. That sign-in address you advise was in fact already incorporated in the log in material in my emergency kit. I have now been able to log in. However, I can't work the instructions at https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/ for migrating data.

The instructions say to go to File menu and choose 'Backup'. When i go to the file menu, i have only options to import, export or to add a new item. So I can't choose 'backup'. Any suggestions, please?

• grant_liddell
    grant_liddell
    Community Member
    Options

I suspect that something is wrong with the 1Password app on my MacBook. The menu items are like some primitive app that has only a few options. See screenshot. And I suspect that this is the reason I am having the difficulty I have just mentioned above. However, maybe I am wrong about that. I deleted 1Password from my laptop and reinstalled it. It operates just as I have described above, i.e. the menus do not contain expected items. What next, please?

• @grant_liddell Thanks for the update! If you're not seeing the Backup option, that's because you only have an account set up in 1Password for Mac. Do you still have your old computer/drive with 1Password installed on it, or did you sync that data somewhere? To migrate it to an account, you need the original copy. If you're not sure, we can help you find it. :) Please create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac so we can get a better idea of how things are set up on your system:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.