To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1Password client language and content language differ?

christan
christan
Community Member

Hello,

I recently signed up for the 1Password Account trial and I've never used 1Password before. The first thing I did was download the 1Password 6 Windows beta, which is unfortunately not localized yet - so I had to use the English version (I'm from Germany). I changed a lot of passwords and saved them, including some WiFi passwords. Then I started using 1Password on my iPhone and my Mac, which do both seem to have fully translated v6 clients - however I noticed that 1. the categories and descriptions are not translated and 2. that whenever I create a new item it's directly assuming I want to name everything in English. I obviously don't want that, but can I "reset" my language somewhere or will I always have to live with English categories and descriptions although my clients are German except for the Windows version?

1Password Version: Version 6.3.3 (633001)
Extension Version: Version 4.3.3
OS Version: OS X 10.12
Sync Type: Account

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @christan

I'm sorry for the the confusion going around with 1Password and localization. 1Password Accounts (Teams, Families and now Individual ones) are still fairly new. While we've had a chance to work with the native apps to localize 1Password (except the very new BETA), the Accounts are not yet localizable, therefore creating this strange mix of languages that you see. We are working on improving localization for both the apps and the accounts and everything in between. Right now there's not much to do about the mix of languages, but if you stay around you'll probably get a nice surprise some in the future ;) I'm very sorry for any inconveniences that this might cause you.

• christan
    christan
    Community Member

@Pilar
    Thank you for the clarification. Although the missing localization is something I don't like in closed-source software, it's not bothering me as much as the following issue that seems to be connected to this. Sync between Mac and iOS (German clients) works only with one heavy flaw: When I add an item on my iPhone of a new category (i.e. credit card), nothing inside the category nor the category show up on Mac / Windows client. Seems like it's being synced but since my other clients do not support the localization of 1Password accounts (yet) it won't recognize this localized category. This is a pretty big drawback for me personally, because I use the iOS app very often and even though I could just add some dummy files for every category it is a productivity fallback

PS: I don't know how easy or hard it is for you to implement code, but couldn't you just use the localization of the 1Password iOS app? It's very good and almost complete from what I've seen - especially since you're promoting the 1Password account thing so much right now.

• @christan Thanks for the update, and posting about the sync issue. That's certainly not expected behavior in the service. I wanted to take the same thing for a spin on my device, so I created a Database item since I didn't have any of those. It synced to my Mac immediately. I tried things the other way as well and it synced as expected. This sounds like a sync issue more than a localization one since localization doesn't change the core code. To get a better idea of what's going on, could you please create a Diagnostics Report from your iPhone and Mac?

How to send a diagnostics report

Attach each Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

I don't know how easy or hard it is for you to implement code, but couldn't you just use the localization of the 1Password iOS app? It's very good and almost complete from what I've seen - especially since you're promoting the 1Password account thing so much right now.

The Mac and iOS apps currently use the same base, which is our CrowdIn project. :) It's a bit more difficult than one would expect to move that to Windows as well. We would like to localize all the apps consistently, and we're doing our best with things right now. Hopefully the new Windows app can be added soon as well.

• christan
    christan
    Community Member

@Jacob Thanks for the quick response. Did you try this with the Mac desktop application? I don't own the Mac AppStore version and I've discovered that the localization is implemented into the AppStore version but not into the desktop version. I've also submitted both Mac and iOS log to your support address, didn't get an automated reply yet but I'll update the Ticket ID asap.

Oh and I forgot to include them in the mail, so I'll attach 2 screenshots of the german iOS app and the german mac desktop app showing that the localized categories are apparently not synchronised if there was no category entry before.

• christan
    christan
    Community Member

You'd be surprised how much relogging into my account on iOS helped - the sync issues are gone and now all the categories are non-localized - I guess this is how it's supposed to be for the account version of 1Password for now. Thank you both for your answers, the issue has hereby resolved itself :chuffed:

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @christan

Variations of "turning it on and off again" are still one of the very best ways to troubleshoot computer related issues, it's amazing what that can do to kick things back in place :chuffed:

At some point I changed the language of my poor computer so many times in a short period of time that various apps and even parts of an app were stuck on different languages, I feel your pain with the mix of things! I'm glad to hear that it's all working well for you, and I hope that you'll be able to see the account related parts of 1Password in German soon :chuffed: If you ever need us again, we're always here for you!

• MeeYuki
    MeeYuki
    Community Member

Hello Agile Team,

I'm having the same issue here with localization and languages (but for Portuguese Brazil) when "creating new items" and "category names", they are all in English.
    All other cards I have were created in Portuguese because they were created locally (with Dropbox sync) - and it works fine this way.
    If I try to create cards directly on 1password account I go through these languages issues.

Could you please also consider to solve those language issues for Portuguese Brazil?

Thank you

• simongodard
    simongodard
    Community Member

Hi,

I have the same problem with the localization of the categories and the labels within an item. For me the problem is with French (hello from Montreal AgileBits team!) and will prevent my family from moving to a Family plan. My wife doesn't speak English nor my kids so it's really a regression from the standalone product.

Please AgileBits fix that limitation for us.

• Hi @MeeYuki & @simongodard - Thank you for reaching out to us. We're working hard to make 1Password available in many different languages. Sorry for the troubles and I appreciate the feedback. It helps us learn where we still need to make improvements. Hopefully we will have a fix for this soon. Have a fantastic day and thank you again for letting us know :-)

• MeeYuki
    MeeYuki
    Community Member

Hello @Frank @Pilar @Jacob,
    Is this issue already solved?

Thank you

-=MeeYuki=-

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MeeYuki: 1Password.com isn't yet localized, but it's something we're working on behind the scenes. Thanks for letting us know you're looking forward to this too!

• MeeYuki
    MeeYuki
    Community Member

Sorry for asking again, but I'm really looking forward to the implementation of this language feature for "newly created items" on other language.
    This is the only thing that is keeping me from moving to online 1 password vault.

Thank you

MeeYuki

• Thanks! :) We're looking forward to it too.

This discussion has been closed.