IPassword and iCab for Mac

Options

I asked the iCab folks if they had plans to support iPW in the Mac version of their browser. This was their reply:
Unfortunately there's no way that iCab can support 1Password (on the
Mac), because 1Password does not provide an API for third-party Apps.
This means other Apps can not access the 1Password passwords. Right
now all support for third-party Apps can only come from the 1Password
developers themselves. And I do not really expect that they care about
such a small browser like iCab. Because of the missing API, they have
to do all the work to support other Apps themselves, so they only
do this for a few very popular Apps.

I guess the question of whether there will be an extension for iCab is up to you.
I hope you will do something about it.

Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @DoctorDan. Thanks for your post. Compatibility with browsers is something that is rather tricky. Right now, all of our efforts are focused on browsers that implement standard extensions APIs like Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. I know it might sound like finger pointing, but since iCab itself does not have a robust extensions infrastructure like these browsers, it's much more intensive for us to try to support, and as a result, right now, we can't devote those resources to try to support each browser in a one-off fashion.

As for an API for third parties, this is something we want to explore in the future, but I don't have a timeframe to share for when we might be able to give that idea some attention. We were hopeful that Apple would introduce an enhanced extensions infrastructure for macOS similar to what they have available on iOS, which has enabled us to create one of the most popular extension ecosystems: https://blog.agilebits.com/1password-apps/ We still have hopes that Apple will further expand this in the future, but it's increasingly apparent that we will need to create our own approach to this, and doing so takes time and resources that we don't have available right now.

I hope that explains the situation. We would love to be able to support iCab, OmniWeb, and lots of other apps for easy filling of your 1Password data and some day we hope to deliver a top notch solution. But right now, we can't say when that might be.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you right now. If you need anything else, let us know. We're always here to help.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member
    Options

No need to apologize. I understand what you are up against. My primary reason for considering iCab is that Google and Firefox have been getting a bit flaky as the MacOS and Windows change their behavior. I thought that perhaps iCab used a different engine and would therefore have different problems. Of course one downside of a different engine is that they apparently have a unique approach to plugins. I appreciate you taking the time to consider the question. I think the burden should fall on them to add the ability to use Chrome extensions. I suspect that it would would make their browser much more attractive to many people.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I can say pretty firmly that if they had an extensions infrastructure that conformed to Chrome's API, we would be very interested to explore support for iCab. This is the direction that Edge has taken (There are some obstacles for us to support Edge just now, but from our perspective, they are definitely heading in the right direction.) and Firefox is moving in the same direction as well. Chrome's API is very nice for extensions developers and a unified approach to web extensibility is a win for developers on all sides.

This discussion has been closed.