On Win/Chrome (1Password teams) I get the error "Looking for the 1Password helper"

Options

My company put everyone on 1password. It works on my Mac, but the Win 10 PC errors with the message below. There is no useful information on the linked sites, or anywhere else.

I have wasted significant amounts of time uninstalling, reinstalling extensions, looking for helper apps, installing & removing desktop apps and so forth. Your assistance in helping me actually secure my passwords with your product will be most appreciated.

Looking for the 1Password helper

The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly.

Try again Learn More
Couldn’t connect to 1Password

Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Password browser extension. Follow the simple steps on our support site or contact us.

1Password Version: teams
Extension Version: 4.6.1.90
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Looking for the 1Password helper

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @billmar,

Thank you for using 1Password Teams! :)

Could you please elaborate, are you using any kind of antivirus software on your Windows PC? Sometimes this might be the reason of the issue you've described – some antivirus programs interfere in the communication between 1Password app and 1Password extension.
    It would also be helpful, if you could share the exact version of 1Password 6 you have installed. Was it downloaded from our website or from the Microsoft Store?

Thanks in advance!

++
    Greg

• billmar
    billmar
    Community Member
    Options

I don't have 1password6 installed. It is showing as beta software, and requires .net. The browser extension installed without it.

I'm running Windows Defender.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@billmar: 1Password browser extension is not autonomous and requires 1Password 6 app installed on your Windows PC. Could you please try to install it and sign in with your Teams account? Once the extension and the app are connected, you should be able to fill your credentials in the browser using 1Password. :) Let me know how it goes.

Thanks!

• billmar
    billmar
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. This is not clear at all from the install process, the dialog on screen, or the support documentation.

To summarize:
    1. Install the extension in the browser.
    2. Go to the 1Password web site. Find the desktop software.
    3. Don't install the release version (4). Instead, find and install the beta version.
    4. Do this without being able to search the web or the 1Password site for the language displayed in the browser dialog.
    5. Note that clicking the "learn more"... button opens a web page with no information about the process.

I work for a SaaS developer, and can only imagine that the process is even more daunting for others.

• @billmar
    We're sorry that your setup experience wasn't as good as you expected from us. We do appreciate your feedback.

Usually, after signing up for your 1Password Teams account and setting everything up on the website for the first time, we encourage new users to download the software. You can see this information on the "Get the apps" page in your account.

Please have a look at our Get started with 1Password page for Windows. It should help your with the process.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions or more feedback.

Cheers,

Alex

This discussion has been closed.