Can not find 1 password vault

bushranger
bushranger
Community Member

I upgraded my Mac to Sierra and now 1 Password can not find my passwords. I currently have version 6.3.3 installed. I have tried syncing with dropbox and that will not work. I have tried syncing via a WLAN between my Mac and my iPad and I keep getting a message that 1 Password on my Mac failed to decrypt the files.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bushranger,

I'm sorry you're experiencing some trouble with 1Password after upgrading your Mac to Sierra! We'll help you figure this out one way or another.

When you installed Sierra, did you just install it on top of the old operating system, or did you do a clean install that would have removed your own files & data from your Mac? If you just did a basic update from the old OS to the new one, all the data on your Mac should still be in the same place, so 1Password should have no trouble finding it.

It will also help if you can let us know a few more details about your setup and the problem:

• Were you using 1Password 6 prior to upgrading to Sierra? Or had you been using a much older version (such as 1Password 3)?
    • After installing Sierra, what exactly did you see when you launched the main 1Password 6 app? Is that still what happens now?
    • You mentioned that you tried syncing with Dropbox but that it didn't help - were you syncing 1Password with Dropbox before installing Sierra? If so, what happened when you tried syncing it with Dropbox after the upgrade?
    • Do you have all your latest 1Password data on your iPad? Or is it missing the latest changes you had made to 1Password on your Mac?
    • What is the exact error message you get when you try to sync via WLAN?
    • If you open the Applications folder on your Mac, do you have multiple 1Password apps in there? Or just one?

Thanks in advance! :)

• bushranger
    bushranger
    Community Member

Hi Drew, thank you for responding to my issue so promptly. Some, if not all, of my problems may have been resolved. Let me answer your questions and then I will explain what I mean with the above.

1. I did a basic update from the old OS to the new one, not a clean install. But 1Password could not find my vault.
    2. I was using 1Password 6 prior to upgrading to Sierra.
    3. I also had updated 1Password to v 6.3.3 after installing Sierra.
    4. When I launched 1Password after installing Sierra and after upgrading to v 6.3.3, 1Password started as if I was using it for the first time. I do not remember the exact wording, but it basically said my vault had no entries.
    5. After I got over panicking, I tried to access my vault that I had stored on Dropbox. 1Password would not recognize the vault in Dropbox, let alone sync with it.
    6. I had been syncing 1Password with Dropbox prior to the upgrade to Sierra and 1Password 6.3.3.
    7. All of my 1Password data seems to be okay on my iPad.
    8. The error message I received when trying to sync via WLAN was "1Password failed to decrypt the file. No other information available."
    9. I only have one 1Password app in my Applications folder.

Now I will explain my earlier comments. After upgrading to Sierra my MacBook Pro became unbelievably slow. It took forever for an application to launch and even after launch nothing seemed to want to work properly. The dreaded spinning beach ball. After going to Apple Support on my iPad and researching things I downloaded EtreCheck. After running it, the report said I had insufficient RAM. My MacBook Pro had 4GB of RAM, but apparently that was not enough with the Sierra update.

So I ordered 16GB of RAM and upgraded my MacBook Pro this morning. It immediately started running much better. Apps launched like they were supposed to and everything seemed better. So I opened 1Password and it immediately recognized the vault stored on Dropbox and asked if I wanted to open it. All of my passwords seem to be there and working fine. So it seems the main problem was insufficient RAM. Not sure why 1Password failed to find my primary vault on my MacBook Pro though.

I do have a few questions now.

1. Will 1Password store a copy of the Dropbox vault on my MacBook Pro as well as sync with Dropbox or is it just using the Dropbox vault?
    2. Where is the 1Password vault stored on my laptop?

Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @bushranger,

That's some absolutely crazy problems that upgrading/swapping out the RAM seemed to have resolved. I would almost hope that one of the old memory sticks had gone bad as otherwise that's the sort of experience that will put most sane people off updating their operating system.

When you use 1Password in standalone mode (in contrast to our new 1Password accounts) it primarily stores your vaults locally in an encrypted SQLite database file. If you happen to also have sync set up then for the likes of Dropbox we read and write directly to the Dropbox folder stored locally on your Mac as it's the responsibility of the Dropbox service to keep the local copy synchronised with their server.

As for where we store your vault data, this depends on whether you're running 1Password from our site or you purchased from Apple's Mac App Store.

• 1Password (Mac App Store): ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data
    • 1Password (AgileBits Store): ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/

You should find the database OnePassword.sqlite and a variety of other files in folders such as backups etc.

Let us know if you have any other questions :smile:

This discussion has been closed.