Lost categories

Options
czeckers
czeckers
Community Member

I have been happily using the free app for many years without problems.

However, recently I noticed that the look of the app changed (I suspect the app got updated) and I lost several categories such as my Rewards Membership category. There is a new category called "Pro Categories" that shows it has a number of items in it. Clicking on the category doesn't show any items however -- just a summary of the pro features.

Does anyone else have trouble accessing their data?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @czeckers,

I'm sorry you aren't seeing all the categories you expect to see there! From your description, it sounds like the Pro features aren't unlocked on your iOS device.

Do you happen to remember which version of 1Password you had previously been using on your iOS device(s)? If you were using 1Password 3 for iOS, the Pro features in 1Password 6 must be unlocked with an in-app purchase (essentially a paid upgrade). But if you previously bought 1Password 4 for iOS, or if you bought the Pro features in 1Password 5 for iOS, the Pro features should be unlocked for you in 1Password 6.

If the Pro features were previously unlocked, you should be able to restore them. First make sure you're signed into your device with the same Apple ID you had used to make the purchase, then open 1Password, go to Settings > Pro features, and tap Restore Purchase.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you're still having trouble with that or if you have more questions. Cheers! :)

• czeckers
    czeckers
    Community Member
    Options

I've had this app for a long time so it was an old version. I am disappointed that the company is forcing me to pay for an upgrade to see data which I entered on a free version of an app. There was no notification that this would happen. You are essentially holding my data hostage to force me to upgrade. Pretty poor treatment of your customers.

Everyone who downloads your app will never be certain when they will be forced to pay for another "upgrade".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@czeckers: That's simply not true. You don't need to pay anything to view your data. While you cannot create new items outside of the free categories, you can view existing items of any type under All Items. I hope this helps clear that up! :)

• twojtyniak
    twojtyniak
    Community Member
    Options

Apparently this is what is happening to me. Having received no notice that this would happen, nor anything in the app that suggests another reason why my AppleID is somehow not working, but only for this app, I have been frustrated and baffled.

Brenty, your response to Czeckers is at least unclear and seems pretty cavalier. Your response seems to be to Czecker's statement that "Everyone who downloads your app will never be certain when they will be forced to pay for another "upgrade"." That is absolutely true. Even if we look back further in Czecker's post, there are things that are absolutely true. Like, "There was no notification that this would happen." And, "Pretty poor treatment of your customers." You are playing on the idea that Czecker's data is not hostage. True, it is not, but the product has been crippled from what they had paid for and were used to, with no warning. That feels at least hostage-y, don't you think?

I've long encouraged people to buy your product, despite it's high price. I saw it as an investment and a good product. $9.99 for the "Pro Features"? Of the iOS version? Ouch. And to have to pay to get them back after I paid for them and have my data organized using them? Ooof. Do you see how we, people who supported the product when it was newer, might feel betrayed? Not trust the company? If you can, I would hope your responses would reflect that more than your previous comment. If you can't, maybe you shouldn't be a public voice for the company. I'll give you then benefit of a doubt here, but I am very discouraged by this happening and the response and, sadly, will be looking at other options because of this situation.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @twojtyniak

Thanks for the feedback. I do see where you are coming from, but I also see a problem following your thought process here.

1Password 4 for iOS is a paid upgrade from v3. This is pretty standard practice in the software industry, and we have it spelled out here:

https://agilebits.com/home/licenses (note: this does not apply to our subscription service -- more on that below).

It basically boils down to the fact that maintaining an app has recurring costs. A pay once for indefinite updates model is rarely one that survives long enough to provide those updates. And so we've never followed that path. We want AgileBits to be a sustainable company that can continue to deliver the level of quality software and support that folks have come to expect from us. The only way to do that is with recurring revenue, which has been our business model from the beginning ( as outlined in the link above ).

Major version changes (e.x. v3 -> v4) are subject at our discretion to an upgrade fee. We actually released v5 and v6 as free upgrades for anyone who had purchased at least v4. That means we've have one paid upgrade on iOS since 2012. Yet we've released a huge number of improvements. You're welcome to continue using the version you purchased for as long as it works for you, but changes outside our control may eventually cause it to stop working. If you'd like to upgrade to the latest version, with the latest OS support, that does typically have an upgrade fee associated with it (after all, we have to pay our developers to make those upgrades).

If you'd prefer an option that is easier to budget for we do offer a subscription service that includes all of the latest versions of all of our apps. You can read more about that here:

1Password

Ben

This discussion has been closed.