1Password on iPhone 3GS (6.1.6)

Options
lock
lock
Community Member

Hi guys, I've a complicated setup here.

So far I use 4 vaults on my Mac/iPhone 6S. Main one is synced via iCloud, the other 3 with Dropbox.
One of these are my mother data, they sync between my devices and her iPad mini. So far so good.

Now, since her old Nokia reached EOL, it's time to introduce her to smartphones and I'm trying to do it using my old, but still working, iPhone 3GS.
I've downloaded an older version of 1P from App Store. Too bad it can't recognize the new .opvault format, so I'm a bit stuck.

I could sync her iPad and this iPhone via iCloud, but I won't be able to maintain and manage her data from my devices. So, the most obvious way should be switching back to the old vault format, so I can keep it synced to all devices via Dropbox.

So the question: Is there a way to convert the new .opvault back to old one and/or create a new old-format-vault to sync via Dropbox?

I'm open to other ideas and suggestions, of course. :)

Have a nice day,
Lock

1Password Version: I'm stuck on wizard, can't check version number
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 6.1.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lock: Once we go more than two years back, a lot of this blurs for me, so forgive me if I confuse things (or cause added confusion). If I'm not mistaken, iOS 6 predates the "new" iCloud sync (CloudKit, which I think was introduced with iOS 8 and Yosemite), so it will not be possible to use iCloud between devices on either side of that divide.

As for converting (un-converting?) to AgileKeychain, provided you have access to a Mac with 1Password 6, this is actually really easy: just disable Dropbox sync, turn off 1Password Help > Tools > Enable OPVault, and re-enable Dropbox sync. An AgileKeychain vault will be saved instead, and then you can sync the other devices with that.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• lock
    lock
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi Brenty, thanks for your answer.

Yes, I've 1P 6 on my iMac.
    Doing what you wrote...

... please wait... :)

• lock
    lock
    Community Member
    Options

Update: I was able to do as you said but, on the iPhone 3GS I get an error when I try to access the list of vaults:

The error says it can't find any 1P database, even if one of them is in the old format:

Any idea?

• lock
    lock
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

The only thing coming to my mind is that the vault are in a folder called "[1password]" in the root of Dropbox. Maybe I've to move it directly to root?

Update: No, even moving the file to the root the error keeps popping.

More info:

I also tried to rename it to 1Password.agilekeychain, with no success.

This is the full error message:

Error
    Domain=com.agilebits.onepassword.ErrorDomain Code=714
    "Nessun database di 1Password è stato trovato su Dropbox.
    Assicurati che esista il file "1Password.agilekeychain" sul tuo account Dropbox." (*)
    UserInfo=0x1fec4c40
    {NSURL=https://www.dropbox.com/home/[1password]/1password.opvaultdata/default/1password.keys, NSLocalizedDescription=Nessun database di 1Password è stato trovato su Dropbox. Assicurati che esista il file "1Password.agilekeychain" sul tuo account Dropbox.}

(*) English translation: No 1Password DB was found on Dropbox. Make sure the "1Password.agilekeychain" does exist on your Dropbox account.

What sounds strange is that somehow the iPhone app tries to check the "1password.opvaultdata/default/1password.keys" that I don't know what is, as there's not on Dropbox.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @lock,

Could you please confirm for me which version of 1Password you are running on the iPhone 3GS? I believe I may know what the issue is, but I'd like to confirm.

We used to store a file called .ws.agile.1Password.settings which contained the relative path to your .agilekeychain file in Dropbox. This is no longer used by modern versions of 1Password, and is no longer created by 1Password 6 for Mac. We may need to manually create this file in order for your legacy iOS installation to find your keychain.

Ben

• lock
    lock
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi Ben,

The version I'm using is the 4.3.2, it's the one App Store automatically downloads after telling me it's going to install a previous version, as last one requires at least iOS8.

Thanks for helping me in this ancient problem. :)

Have a nice day.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2016
    Options

Thanks for the update @lock. It does appear that is going to be the issue then.

Please open Terminal on your Mac (you can find it in Spotlight) and paste this line in:

echo -n "[1password]/1Password.agilekeychain" > ~/Dropbox/ws.agile.1Password.settings

Then hit enter, and close Terminal. Then try syncing again. These instructions assume your 1Password.agilekeychain file lives at ~/Dropbox/[1password]/1Password.agilekeychain

Please let me know how it turns out. :)

Edit: The forums show a line break in my text above, but there is no line break -- it should all be on one line.

Ben

• lock
    lock
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi again Ben,

I followed your instructions, just changed your terminal command to:

echo -n "[1password]/Mamma.agilekeychain" > ~/Dropbox/ws.agile.1Password.settings

to reflect my vault name on Dropbox.

I removed Mac 1P sync and deleted the remote file. Then reenabled again and let it create a new one.
    Now errors on iPhone are gone and 1P shows positive messages when he tries to sync ("Last sync: X seconds ago").

Problem is that no record is shown. Favorites/Categories/Folders tabs are empty.

Any idea about this new issue?

Thanks.

Update: I created a new record on iPhone, and it shows in the list, but it doesn't appear on other devices. It seems 3GS is correctly connected to dropbox, but not to the Vault.

This is the settings file that appeared on my DB root after your command:

Name: ws.agile.1Password.settings
    Content: [1password]/Mamma.agilekeychain

The vaults in [1password] folder are visible on the screenshot I provided with my first post.

• Ben
    Options

Hmm. That is pretty strange, lock. I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices:

Please note that these instructions are for the latest versions of 1Password so things may be worded slightly differently or located in slightly different spots.

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• lock
    lock
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Update: Support ID #EYU-86822-128

(as soon as I pressed the "send" button, email arrived). :pirate:

Hi again Ben,

I sent the email to support+forum@agilebits.com as you said. This a while ago, but I've still to receive the automated reply.
    I'll update this post as soon as I'll receive the Support ID number.

Have a nice day,
    Lock

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lock: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: EYU-86822-128

• lock
    lock
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks brenty

• Ben
    Options

Hi @lock,

I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you but with this being a legacy app we're having a little difficulty tracking down what the problem might be. I've asked someone from our development team to take a look at it, and hopefully they'll be able to shed some light. Unfortunately with v4 being retired it may be a case where it is simply too old to do what you're trying to do with it. We'll keep digging though.

Ben

• lock
    lock
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben, I understand. :)
    Now I'm out of town for some months, but I received your email with some suggestions. I'll try to test them as soon as I'll be back.

Have a nice day,
    Lock

• Ben
    Options

You too! Enjoy your trip. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.