WiFi sync not working after restoring from backup

Options
mirkuma
mirkuma
Community Member

System info:
OS X 10.9.5 Maverick (Mac Mini 2012), 1Password 4.4.2 (standalone licence)
Android 5.0.2 (HTC One M7), 1Password 6.4.1

I have been successfully syncing Android version with latest Mac OS X version for EL Capitan, until my old iMac (late 2008) died (GPU problems).
I have installed 1Password on my backup Mac Mini (Mavericks) and created new value and imported data from El Capitan Time machine backup of 1Passport (location was default 1Pass backup folder). I have used the same master password as was used on iMac and is used on Android.

In the meantime (during the days to prepare mac mini as may new working computer, i have used 1password on android and added some new passwords in android 1password database)

All works fine, no problems on Maverick and 1Pass 4.4.2, until I have tried WiFi syncing OS X version with Android one.
WiFi secret is new (different as on iMac) and Android can't sync (newer ask for secret code it seems that old code is still used). I get message that it can't connect.

From sync-log:
discovery started for _1password4._tcp.
Ignoring service 1Password4Service resolved.
Can't connect. Open 1Password on your Computer and ensure that WLAN server is running.

I'm sure that WiFi network / router is working properly and problem is most probably related with backup restore that I did, as nothing was changed on my network (mac mini & android are on the same subnet).

I have many entries in 1Password, that are not duplicated across OS X / Android version and would like to sync them via WIFI if this is still an option.

If not should I manually add missing entries to mac version & clear android data and try WiFi sync again? (NOT PREFERRED :-( )

Any tips?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• mirkuma
    mirkuma
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Update:
    I have exported primary valut on Android to internal Android folder, and clear app data.
    Tried Wi-Fi Sync again, and Sync works (so WiFI & Router settings are correct) and data are transferred from OS X in new Android valut.

I still have exported 1Password .opvalut on Android 1PASSWORDEXPORTS folder, so I can load it again, as soon WiFi Sync solution is found to sync my previous Android valut with OS X one.

Any ideas what else can I try?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mirkuma,

I still haven't gotten round to owning an Android device so I probably won't be much use regarding that angle but the title of the exported file makes me wonder if we can't work around the problem.

If you can copy the 1Password.opvault folder from the Android device to your Mac and it is indeed a proper OPVault container (I have no reason to believe it isn't based on the filename) then we could use Folder Sync to locally connect your Mac vault to this exported vault. That would allow the Mac to locally sync everything and then with the Mac up-to-date Wi-Fi sync should allow you to get the Android device current.

I have no idea how easy, hard or impossible getting the OPVault from the Android device will be I'm afraid - I have no experience here or knowledge of what you may have already set up to do stuff like this.

With the OPVault on your Mac you would first want to ensure you have a current backup (File > Backup) and the our page, How to keep a copy of a local vault updated in a folder on your Mac should allow you to sync any differences between your 1Password vault and the OPVault container. All of these changes will then be pushed to 1Password for Android.

I'll be intrigued to know how you get along. In theory it should work but I don't have the right hardware to say I've tried this and know 100% that it will work.

• mirkuma
    mirkuma
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables Thank you for your support.
    It will be no problem to copy opvalut from my android (on Mac there is program Android File Transfer https://www.android.com/filetransfer/ that alows you to browse Android storage and copy files form it to computer)
    I will try your suggestions with local folder valut update, and get back to you.
    Thank you for a suggestion.

P.S.
    Do you know what could be the reason that WiFi sync with current Android valut was not possible anymore after restoring from Mac backup?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mirkuma: Indeed, when you setup the WLAN Server for Wi-Fi sync, you paired the mobile app with it. So while the old computer is no longer with us, that's the one 1Password for Android is still trying to connect to. You'll need to reinstall 1Password for Android after backing up the data, and then just pair it with the new Mac using the WLAN Server "secret" there. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• mirkuma
    mirkuma
    Community Member
    Options

It turns out that new parring occurs immediately when selecting WiFI sync without needs for new secret! Strange indeed, but syncing works fine now, I would just need to merge old and new opvalut via folder in the one with all data and then WiFI sync with ANdroid phone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, I'm sorry for misunderstanding. I thought you weren't able to sync. I'm glad to hear its working for you now though. Let me know if you need anything else! :)

• mirkuma
    mirkuma
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I'm not able to sync if valut (MAC to Android) is restored from backup (on Mac) and I'm using existing Android valut (with newer data), please read again my first post. If I delete existing Android valut (or reinstall 1Password for Android) I'm able to sync just fine (but the existing android valut is gone in this case). So I must try folder method suggested by @littlebobbytables, to see if a can merge all valuts to one that have all recent data.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mirkuma: Ah, got it. It had sounded like you'd done that already, so that the sync issue was the outstanding problem. Just as long as you save a backup copy of your data first, you should be all set.

If you setup Folder Sync in 1Password for Mac to point to the second vault (from the Android device), you'll be given the option to Merge the data. That will be the simplest way to get back to a single vault.

Then you can go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data, setup the app to use the vault you sync'd/merged, and then setup WLAN Server to Wi-Fi sync with 1Password for Android again.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• mirkuma
    mirkuma
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Done, valuts merged successfully into one single valut. Thank you AgileBits Team Members for help. Problem solved (at least until new iMAC arrives :) ).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

hahahaha awesome! You're totally welcome! Glad to hear you're all set. I think "new iMac day" will be a happy one, but we're here if you need us! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.