1Password 4 and 6 at the same time?

Options

I have a personal local Vault as well as a 1Password for Business account. I would like to use both at the same time (like I can on the Mac). If I have both 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 for Windows installed at the same time, will the extension work and let me fill out passwords from either?

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yippy3000: Unfortunately the browser extensions can only connect to one or the other at any given time. I'm actually using a similar setup, so I'll tell you what I do in case you find it useful. Typically I use 1Password 6 and keep 1Password 4 from running. I have both by 1Password Account and local vaults setup in 1Password 6, so I'm able to access the data from any of these and fill logins as needed. The only catch is that 1Password 6 cannot edit data in local vaults (yet), so if it's necessary to make changes there it will have to be in 1Password 4. But for the most part I'm accessing data rather than adding more — especially with my old local vaults. I hope this helps! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dahanbn: Yep! I've actually done this myself already since I'm using 1Password 6 most of the time now. Just right-click and Disable 1Password in the Startup tab in Task Manager. Then, if you need to use it in the browser later, just launch the app and go to Help > Restart 1Password Helper.

I think that at this point tagging and general editing is where 1Password 6 has the most room to improve. But even as a long-time heavy 1Password user, I don't find this to come up very often for me. obviously your mileage may very, and I think we'll all me much better served once it has all the deeper features we're used to. But 1Password is, at least for me, very usable already. I'll be interested to hear more from your perspective. :)

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @dahanbn,

After some hours the extension wasn't working anymore and liked to authorise again. After that authorisation I use the v6 extension without that I have killed the process of the old extension.

I'm having some trouble exactly understanding this issue. It sounds like the extension authorized with 1Password 6, rather than 1Password 4 (which you wanted). Is this correct? If so, it's probably a better idea not to use both v4 and v6 at the same time, and avoid issues like this.

To reconnect 1Password 4 to your browser, completely terminate the 1Password 6 process, then launch 1Password 4 and go to Help > Restart 1Password Helper; you should then be asked to authorize 1Password 4.

Please let me know if I've misunderstood anything, I'd be more than happy to clear things up.

This discussion has been closed.