Feature request: Keep all attachments on device (not doing this is really a regression)

davidolrik
davidolrik
Community Member

Hi Team,

In earlier versions of 1Password all attachments was always kept on device which is great when you need a specific document while offline.

Today attachments are downloaded each time you access them, which seems to be both a waste of bandwidth and a huge inconvenience when travelling to countries with less than stella communications infrastructure.

Please keep all attachments on device.

--
Best regards,
David Jack Wange Olrik

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:attachments download

Comments

• Hi @davidolrik

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Are you referencing Documents, from 1Password.com accounts? 1Password.com accounts do not have attachments, in the same sense that standalone vaults do. Documents work similarly, but as you've found there are a few differences (this being one).

Documents only need to be downloaded once per device. Once you've downloaded one it is cached on the device. They are not downloaded on each access.

Ben

• davidolrik
    davidolrik
    Community Member

Yes I'm talking about Documents from 1Password.com

I think I just assumed it did the same as it appears to be doing on the Mac. (Download again after each "Lock vault")

But this only changes my feature request slightly, having to go into each and every document and viewing it once in order to download it for offline usage is annoying. More so if you have a lot of documents.

When adding a document on the mac, I have to go into 1Password on every device I own and click download if I want it for offline use.

Which brings me back to my original request "Please keep all attachments on device.", and by this I mean every device and automatically. (The automatic part is the most important part)

--
    Best regards,
    David Jack Wange Olrik

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@davidolrik: I won't say "never", but it isn't likely that we'll support automatically downloading all files on setup. At minimum, every user has up to 1GB of storage, so that can easily become unwieldy, especially for those of us on metered or slow connections. While you'd obviously be okay with that, it probably wouldn't be good to let your use case dictate functionality for everyone.

That said, we may introduce an option to flag specific items to be available offline. I can't promise anything, and I'm not sure what form it may take, but this is something we're considering. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

• davidolrik
    davidolrik
    Community Member

Or maybe a flag, to disable document sync while on cellular?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016

@davidolrik: That's another great idea! I think the real challenge is that there are too many of those, and I can make a strong argument for both. We could, of course make both of these possible (and also "automatically download everything" and "automatically download nothing"), but then it quickly becomes unwieldy managing all the various flags/states/preferences which could be applied here. We'll keep working on it. :)

This discussion has been closed.