To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Best way to get Mom set up on 1Password

christieps
christieps
Community Member

My two siblings and I are digitizing my mother's thick binder full of passwords, and want to get her set up with 1Password. However, it doesn't seem possible to create one account for Mom and then the three of us add passwords from afar. This seems like a problem 1Password for Families could resolve, however I don't think any of us wants to have a family account after this short-term problem is resolved. And, two of us are already 1Password users with our own individual accounts, and iPhone and Mac apps. Basically, we need one account that multiple people can enter usernames and passwords, but then don't necessarily have access to after that time. Would it be possible to create a 1Password for Families account for the month it takes us to do this, dumping these digitized passwords for Mom into the shared vault, and then cancel the 1Password for Families and get Mom her own individual account? Ideally we would love to just import a spreadsheet into a new 1Password individual account for her, but understandably that's probably not possible.

If we do get a shared account, what happens to the individual vaults two of us already have?

Let me know if any of this is unclear or you need more details.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @christieps! This is surely a noble endeavor. :) Your mother will very much appreciate it, as mine did when I helped her and my father get things moved over to 1Password. I would recommend using 1Password Families, because it's not just a family account that you all access with the same Master Password. As existing users, you can benefit from it as well. Family accounts add quite a bit to the apps you're already using:

• Get all the 1Password apps. No matter which plan you choose, you (and every member of your family) always have free access to the latest versions of all the 1Password apps.
    • Share and sync without the need of a third-party sync service. Setting up sync with Dropbox can be confusing for some folks. With 1Password Families, simply sign in and all your data is there.
    • New vaults automatically show up for family members. When you create a new vault, you can add others in your plan to it automatically. They can start using it right away.
    • Item History for restoring deleted or changed items. If a change was made to an item and it needs to be reverted, fret not. It can easily be rolled back from 1Password.com.
    • Recover accounts if a family member forgets their Master Password. We have always prided ourselves on our security model which has no back door. While we still can’t help with lost account details, you can now recover a family member's account to get them a new Account Key and Master Password.
    • View, edit, and add items from a browser. You’ll always have access to your data on 1Password.com, even if you're away from the devices you typically use.
    • Brand new multi-factor security model for your hosted account. Since your data is in the cloud, we took some extra steps to make sure the security is even better than what the standalone version of 1Password has. The Account Key strengthens your Master Password, and it's better than two-factor authentication.

Now I did see that you purchased a license just this year, and I'd be happy to look into some credit toward your new account for the purchase you already made. Just email us at support@1password.com and post back here with the confirmation number you receive after sending the email. We'll get back to you as quickly as possible.

If we do get a shared account, what happens to the individual vaults two of us already have?

All your existing passwords and items can be moved over to the account, and you can put some of them in the Shared vault for your family to have access (like Netflix) and others in your Personal vault, which only you have access to. Your other sibling can do the same, and the third sibling can start using 1Password. :) We have a nice guide to help you move existing data over to an account:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

We also have one for sharing with your family if you'd like to share specific passwords with each member. Hope that helps answer your questions and get things started! If this sounds good, email us first and post back here when you have, then we'll keep moving forward. Talk to you soon! :)

This discussion has been closed.