Moving items out of the trash

Options
lyndonr
lyndonr
Community Member

Will it ever be possible to move trashed items to different vaults? It was recently suggested to me that instead of using my Trash as an archive, I create a separate Archive vault. I'd now like to move some trash to Archive, but it's greyed out. Seems like it's purposefully disabled but I'm not sure why.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: 4.6.1.90
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lyndonr: Yknow, I never thought about that before, but you're right: it might be useful to be able to redirect data from the Trash to specific vaults. There is a catch, though. I think primarily Restore from Trash puts the data back in the vault it came from for historical reasons.

At first, 1Password only ever used a single vault. And Trashed items are actually still a part of the vault they were deleted from. After all, they're encrypted with the same keys. And the more vaults we have and the more sharing we do, it could be bad if we accidentally restore something sensitive to the wrong place. And to cross vault boundaries, the data would have to be re-encrypted.

But while there are technical and security concerns, I can definitely see where it would be nice to be able to restore to a specific vault. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

• lyndonr
    lyndonr
    Community Member
    Options

Ahhh security... that obviously needs to be the focus. Granted, this is somewhat of an edge case, but I for one would find it pretty useful right now.

Maybe the answer is building in an Archive function from the beginning, so people don't get into this situation in the first place? A feature that could be optionally enabled then accessed via keyboard shortcut to streamline usage. Just riffin'.

Thanks again for the help.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lyndonr

On behalf of Brenty, you're very welcome! To be honest, I was a bit surprised to hear that you'd been using the Trash as history, it hadn't crossed my mind :chuffed: You can always create a vault and use it to archive stuff, while we could include it to begin with I wonder if most people would be happy to see it there. Anyway, thank you very much for letting us know what you'd like to see in 1Password, we always like to hear what you all think!

• LWks
    LWks
    Community Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi,

I was just attempting to do the EXACT same thing ! I was also very surprised that it wasn't possible and just located this post.

I recently did an OS upgrade as well as a bunch 1PW of syncs with different Macs and iPhones and, in the process, I got a bunch of duplications and other oddities. Rather than being annoyed, I looked at it as an opportunity to really clean up my 1PW. So, before syncing again, I went through EVERY single one of my 1password entries (1800+) in all of the vaults and I put all the duplicate/unknown/oddball items in the trash with the intention of moving all the weird ones to a brand new vault just in case I'd trashed something that I later figured out what it was and discovered that I actually needed it and to keep them out of the way.

Unfortunately, like lyndonr, I'm also now stuck without a) any way to really empty the trash or b) any way of keeping these questionionable items somewhere else "just in case".

Do you have any other solutions you can suggest that will take care of what we are both trying to accomplish?

Looking forward to your [always helpful] reply,

• L -
  • vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

@LWks After doing a new backup, you could "Select All" from the Edit Menu while viewing the Trash. In the File Menu chose "Export . . .", follow the prompts, and save to the desktop. From the 1Password Menu, create a "New Vault . . ." called Archives. From the File Menu, choose "Import . . ." to add the recently exported data. Everything will now be in the Archives Vault Trash. Unfortunately, since the "Restore . . ." Menu item takes you to a "File Open" window which isn't any help, you'll have to click on the Restore button at the bottom of each individual item window to get them out of the Trash and into their respective Categories. Then switch back to the Primary Vault and you can safely "Empty the Trash . . ." from the 1Password Menu. You should now have two vaults, Primary containing all your non-weird items and Archives, containing all the weird ones that were formerly in the Primary vault. HTH

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

…, you'll have to click on the Restore button at the bottom of each individual item window to get them out of the Trash and into their respective Categories

If you want to restore multiple items from Trash, see my post about that over here. :)

• LWks
    LWks
    Community Member
    Options

vplewis & sjk,

Fantastic !

Your two suggestions [along with a few small ideas of my own] all combined to accomplish what I needed, perfectly !
    Thank you, both, very much !

• L -
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear that helped! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if you have other questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.