unable to update latest 6.4 on an 1 imac although working on another 1 iMac and a macbook

Mickey369
Mickey369
Community Member

it simply won't update. it will on another imac and a macbook. all rather curious....

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:unable to update latest software on iMac although working on macbook and second imac

Comments

• jmcconocha
    jmcconocha
    Community Member

Hi, I have the same or a similar problem on a Macbook Pro. Each time I start 1Password 6 it prompts me that an Update is available. I click Update and Software Update opens. I click Download Update and it downloads. When I click Update and Relaunch it extracts the archive, prompts me for my admin credentials on the Macbook Pro, closes the Software Update dialog and restarts 1Password 6. However the program remains at 6.3.3 and then eventually prompts that there is an upgrade available.

• glingct
    glingct
    Community Member

Having the same issue as jmcconocha on my MacAir but was successful in upgrading my husband's Macbook Pro.

MacAir
    OSX 10.11.6

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mickey369 @jmcconocha and @glingct

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble installing the latest version of 1Password. Can you please try restarting your computer, then go to Preferences in 1Password > Updates and then "Check Now".

Please let us know if you try this and what you find out :chuffed:

• jmcconocha
    jmcconocha
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

Hi @Pilar ,
    That did not help, but I think that I've found the problem.
    It seems that the update assumes that the application, "1Password 6.app", is located in the Applications directory on the system drive. Mine was not and the upgrade never threw an error and just kept restarting the 6.3.3 version and then prompting for the upgrade again. Once I moved the app to the Applications folder it prompted for the upgrade, upgraded and restarted the new version. I assume I can put it somewhere else now, but the next update will have the same issues so I'll leave it in Applications.

• Mickey369
    Mickey369
    Community Member

Sorry to say trying to instal via Preferences didn't work. I also checked the route @Pilar suggested. The 1Password app is, and has at all times, been in the Application's folder.

• glingct
    glingct
    Community Member

Still having trouble upgrading from 6.3.3. Downloaded the new 6.3.5 and after the upgrade process, 6.3.3 was opened, not the latest version 6.3.5. The same problem happened with 6.3.4. Tried updating per Pilar's method - no success.

• glingct
    glingct
    Community Member

Downloaded 6.3.5 pkg from Agilebits site. Proceeded with upgrade process but it terminated mid-stream with a message:

The installation failed. The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact software manufacturer for assistance.

Very strange. This has never happened before. Hope someone can help resolve.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jmcconocha

If you had installed 1Password somewhere other than the applications folder it's most likely what caused the issue! Apple introduced some changes in Sierra regarding that, so we've aligned to them :chuffed: That's why you know have an installer for 1Password, I'm not sure if you've noticed this new change or not, but that's what's behind it! The best you can do is keep 1Password on the Applications folder and everything will be much smoother for you :chuffed:

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mickey369

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having some trouble with 1Password. Could you pleas try to restart your computer and see if it helps? Please let us know what you find out :chuffed:

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @glingct

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having some trouble with all this! Can you try restarting your computer and see if that helps, please? If it doesn't, I have a couple of questions for you to helps us figure out what's going on here :chuffed:

Can you tell us which OS you are using? Could you also please tell us whether you use the version from our store or from the Apple Store?

I hope to hear back from you so we can get the bottom of this :chuffed:

• glingct
    glingct
    Community Member

Hi Pilar

Using OSX 10.11.6 and 1P 6.3.3 from Agile store. Restarted after each update attempt but unsuccessful.

Thanks.

• drjmcmillan
    drjmcmillan
    Community Member

Hi I'm having the same problems. I have OS X 10.11.4 (not sure how I determine if its App store or Agile site version of program) and I haven't been able to update past 6.3.3. The downloader seems to download and extract but when it updates it is still 6.3.3. Please help.

• drjmcmillan
    drjmcmillan
    Community Member

For the record updates Mac OS X to 10.11.6 and problem hasn't resolved. Won't update past 6.3.3.

• ianrawlings
    ianrawlings
    Community Member

Hi there,
    I'm having the same problem. I can't get past v6.3.3
    I'm on 10.11.6 and I'm pretty sure but not 100%certain on an app from Agile site.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @glingct,

I see that you also posted about this problem in another forum discussion, and it looks like you were able to solve that. Hopefully you're all set now, but if you need more help or have any questions, we're here for you! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @drjmcmillan and @ianrawlings,

Sorry to hear you're also running into some trouble when installing the update for version 6.3.5!

It sounds like you're both using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, because otherwise you would need to install the update through the Mac App Store. If the main 1Password app is prompting you to install the update, that's the version from the AgileBits Store. You can also make sure by opening the main 1Password app and going to 1Password > About 1Password in the menubar. The window that opens will tell you the version number as well as if it's the Mac App Store or AgileBits Store version.

By any chance, is the 1Password app located in your Downloads folder? Or in any other folder aside from the Applications folder? If so, that might have something to do with the problem. Please quit 1Password, move the app file to Applications, then launch it and try again to install the update.

If that doesn't help, please reboot your Mac. After it restarts, try again to install the update for 1Password 6.3.5. Does it work any differently this time?

• ianrawlings
    ianrawlings
    Community Member

Thanks Drew,
    I've tried all you suggest but to no avail. I am using a version from the AgileBits store and it is in the Applications folder. I can't find any other versions on the system at all. Do you have any other suggestions?
    Ian

• drjmcmillan
    drjmcmillan
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG. Yes 1 password is located in the Application folder. I am using the AgileBits store version. My computer has been on and off regularly over the last few days and I keep re-trying the installer to no avail. Still stuck at version 6.3.3

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ianrawlings and @drjmcmillan

Could you please try dragging 1Password from the applications folder into the trashcan, then empty the trashcan and restart your computer. Once you restart it, you can download 1Password again and install it. Please let us know if this helps, and if it all goes well in future updates :chuffed:

• ianrawlings
    ianrawlings
    Community Member

Great, that worked and all is good in the world.
    thanks
    Ian

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ianrawlings

You're very welcome! I'm glad to hear that 1Password is back to the latest update for you :chuffed: I hope that everything goes well for you from now on, but if you bump into any trouble or have any questions, you know where to find us ;)

• drjmcmillan
    drjmcmillan
    Community Member

Yes that advice worked. Many thanks @Pilar

• On behalf of Pilar, you're welcome. :) Glad you're up and running.

This discussion has been closed.